Frank Beard

Frank is a drummer with an unusual rock licks, groove, style which makes him interesting to follow up. In addition, he has an outstanding career with ZZ Top. Like those albums Terminator, Afterburner...

The drum fills that lead into the choruses of 'Just Got Paid' pretty much sum up the essence of the groove and style that this guy harnesses; in the pocket every time and every roll is right there.

Can't speak for his 80's output since I never really checked it out. Their first couple of albums were just enough for me, right up to Deguello.

He should change his name to Frank Beard-less.
Much respect to Frank. His ride cymbal volume on his Texas shuffle (like on LaGrange) in relation to the rest of the kit is something I always strive for. If I hadn't heard him do it, my Texas shuffle wouldn't sound nearly as good. So I guess he's an influence.

Love that guy and the band. I had an audition with a southern rock band once, and I spent a whole day learning that opening lick in La Grange (and the other two fills in the song for authenticity). Not easy. In the '80s when he played 20" and 18" bass drums, he was one of my influences to go to a 20". Up until that time I was convinced by marketing that two 24" were the only way to go!

I know what instruments they're playing, but they're so look alike :D
Dusty sometimes plays guitar.
Dusty has lighter sandy hair, Billy's is redder.
Billy Gibbons wears a frilly type beanie hat, Dusty wears more Stetsons.

Check out Frank's current kit:

Attachments

• Frank Beard's kit 616x.jpg
    Frank Beard's kit 616x.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14,278
Back