What is possible with entry level electronic drums?

J.S

I'm not a drummer. I can play a few little bits and pieces though and would really like to become better.

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap second hand electronic drum kit for a few reasons

I want to become a better player, and actually learn how to play drums half decently

And I want to be able to use them to add drums to recordings on logic

If I get even cheap drums, can I use logic to set what I want the drums to sound like? So I hit the drum, it runs through some drum effect on logic and then hear the end result through speakers or headphones? So it sounds like I'm playing a higher quality drum?

Also if the electronic drum doesn't have many presets, can I just do what I said above to get different sounds?

Also what limitations would I find if I purchase a cheaper electronic drum set, as apposed to a expensive, high end one?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

I'm not a drummer. I can play a few little bits and pieces though and would really like to become better.

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap second hand electronic drum kit for a few reasons

I want to become a better player, and actually learn how to play drums half decently

And I want to be able to use them to add drums to recordings on logic

If I get even cheap drums, can I use logic to set what I want the drums to sound like? So I hit the drum, it runs through some drum effect on logic and then hear the end result through speakers or headphones? So it sounds like I'm playing a higher quality drum?

Also if the electronic drum doesn't have many presets, can I just do what I said above to get different sounds?

Also what limitations would I find if I purchase a cheaper electronic drum set, as apposed to a expensive, high end one?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Every electronic drum set that isn't a toy is going to have an option for midi out which can be run into the computer to trigger high quality electronic drum software. Some of the best software is BFD, Addictive Drums, EzDrummer. This should be easily usable with logic.
Here are the differences between low and high end kits -

Low End -
Fewer Sounds
Lower Quality Sounds
Pads are usually cheap rubber that doesn't mimic the feel of a real drum well
Cymbals don't have the motion of a real cymbal
Single trigger pads (drums only have 1 sensor, not 2 for the head and rim)
Smaller Pads

High End -
Many Sounds
High quality sounds
Pads are usually tunable like a real drum with mesh heads that mimic the feel of a drum head almost perfectly
cymbals make the swish motion of a real cymbal
Double and somerimes triple trigger pads for many different pieces of the drum that make different sounds
Life size pads

For tracking drums on logic get a cheap set, if i can have an idea of your budget i will reccomend you a good kit or kits

Thanks!

My budget is around $300 - 500

So if even cheap electronic drum kits can be used to trigger high quality electronic drum software, and if I'm going to be running the kit almost exclusively through the software then it doesn't matter about lower quality sounds on the drum kit?

I think because I'm not currently a drummer I wouldn't notice some of the nice feel of high quality drums.

Thanks!

My budget is around $300 - 500

So if even cheap electronic drum kits can be used to trigger high quality electronic drum software, and if I'm going to be running the kit almost exclusively through the software then it doesn't matter about lower quality sounds on the drum kit?

I think because I'm not currently a drummer I wouldn't notice some of the nice feel of high quality drums.
Ok that is an ample budget, also have you considered making your own edrums? there are many threads out there. But if u wanna buy, heres some good kits, make sure to look at used options also
Used Roland Td-3
Used Yamaha DTX-Plorer
OSP DD-502

The great thing about the OSP kit is it has usb output so you dont need to buy a midi interface for your computer, also u can replace the osp with mesh heads that make the drums feel alot like high quality roland pads, also if u do get electronic drum software on the pc make sure to get addictive drums, its my favorite and costs around 200 bucks but if you wannt to you can download it with torrenting software (disclaimer - I said CAN i am in no way promoting illegal activity)

Back