My band is heading into the studio - Now with pics and videos!

Naigewron

Platinum Member
My band is heading into the studio - Updated May 25

Gotta generate hype wherever we can, eh? Apologies in advance for the self-pimpage ;-)

edit: May 25: The first single is released! see this post for details: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=704536&postcount=34

edit: Feb 25: Video blogs of the studio trip found at www.youtube.com/luckylewmusic

PRESS RELEASE - Feb. 07, 2010

Lucky Lew heads into the studio to record their 2nd album

Rock band Lucky Lew from Bergen, Norway have spent the last two years perfecting their 2nd album. They're finally ready to record it, and this coming saturday the quartet hops on a plane to California to spend a month at RadioStar Studios working with star producer Sylvia Massy producing a rocking new album.

Band.jpg

Lucky Lew - Left to right: Barillion (guitars), Svein Knutsen (bass), Villa:K (vocals), Eskil Sæter (drums)

After hearing a selection of the songs and sound Lucky Lew have produced, the American record producer was quick to offer her services and invit the band to her studio. And so the band leaves for USA to record their second album; to a small town called Weed in northern California.

The star producer have previously worked with bands like Tool, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., Bjork, Johnny Cash, Smashing Pumpkins, Animal Alpha, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Elton John and Skunk Anansie to name but a few.

Radiostar.jpg

RadioStar Studios - Weed, California.

"We are extremely proud of the songs we are bringing across the Atlanic," says singer Villa:K. "This is our best work to date, and we are really looking forward to presenting every one of these 12 tracks to the world".

Their music has come a fair way since their debut album was released in 2006. Guitar player Barillion says: "We have gone from a progressive sound to a much more straight and melodic rock n'roll. However, even though the stylistic direction may have changed, the Lucky Lew sound is still there. We know that many people may be surprised to hear this album, but we are still Lucky Lew"

The album is being released on Big Noisy Records in August, but the first single drops as early as May. The title has yet to be decided on, and the band says that they simply have too many tracks that have single potential. However, they believe the answer will give itself during the recording process.

However, until that time the band will be working hard in the studio for the next month; in RadioStar's Studio A, an old vaudevillian theatre from the 1920s.

StudioA.jpg

Studio A, an old vaudevillian theatre.

Read more about the band and listen to promo samples at www.myspace.com/luckylewmusic and the band's web site at www.luckylewmusic.com. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter; www.twitter.com/luckylewmusic

Last edited:
Re: My band is heading into the studio - Press release

Good luck! Lykke til!

Wow!! What an opportunity. A whole month of recording in a cool environment with a talented producer. That's dream stuff. Band photo looks superb (I'm obviously attracted to certain elements of the picture) and I'm stoked for you guys. What an exciting phase in your life. I await the results with eager anticipation and wish you good vibes through the journey. Whooohooo!!!

Band photo looks superb (I'm obviously attracted to certain elements of the picture)

Yeah, always look forward to the promo shots of this band.....good looking guitarist, bassist and drummer.......oh, wait.....were you talking about the girl KIS??........hadn't noticed her!!

Congrats Naige.....pimping acceptable here. Looks like it'll be very cool indeed. Look forward to hearing the tracks.

were you talking about the girl KIS??........hadn't noticed her!!
Hmmm PFG, you're either very very lucky in life or need an eye test desparately LOL. Either way Naige, the band's got a great vibe (I especially like No:3 track), but you've got to admit, a bit of eye candy goes a long way in industry promo.

Hmmm PFG, you're either very very lucky in life or need an eye test desparately LOL. Either way Naige, the band's got a great vibe (I especially like No:3 track), but you've got to admit, a bit of eye candy goes a long way in industry promo.

Hey, we'll take any help we can get :)

Thanks for listening, always appreciate your views.

Naige,

Love to hear that is great news! And yes, pimping in this case it totally acceptable, cannot wait to hear it all when it comes together. Enjoy the work in Calif, hopefully you will not get too much rain since we have been experiencing a little more than normal! Best to you and the band in travel and collaboration!

Im happy for you, dont like your music, and find it strange a big producer would be interested in you. (I dont mean to offend)

I'm assuming this thread should be "closed" considering other peoples attempts to plug their or more acuratley their sons band have been. (which i find grossly unfair)

Interesting take on this, why should it be closed do you reckon? For mine, it's perfectly fair for an established member to tell the rest of us what he's up to. The way I see it, the closed thread that you're referring to was closed as the OP had a distinct agenda, that being to plug the band and that was all, other than giving us tour dates and asking for free accom. he had nothing else to say. Naige is a contributing member here, comments on many threads that have nothing to do with plugging his band......I think this affords him the right to talk about his music. Please elaborate.

Last edited:

I agree, PFOG. The situation is only the same on a surface level - the nuances are entirely different. Naigewron is one of the gang and "going to the studio" is a standard forum theme. The other guy was just engaging in a more polite form of spamming.

Well done, Naige! Nice symmetry in the promo shot - two spunks and two crazies :)

An exciting time for you!

Thanks for the support, guys.

Departure is two days away. I'm struggling trying to concentrate on my day job right now :)

This man and his son just may have updated us on how the tour was progressing and how their acoodation was settled (perhaps with posts made by thoes who accommodated them, detailing their stay and any funny events that may have occured) leading them to become valued members. This to me had scope to make a great thread and may have been humorous and interesting.

He may well have kept us updated....only he knows. But I think the fact that he only posted in a couple of threads that related directly to his son's tour, spoke volumes. There was no other posts on any other topic.......same can't be said for Naigewron, he hangs out here all the time. He's not asking for, or selling anything, merely sharing some news with DW that he's quite rightly excited about.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the approach that the other bloke used, but clearly someone was, hence the thread was closed. But I do think a guy who's been here for ages, posting on the boards that he's about to record in the US with a 'name' producer, is entirely different.

No 'gang mentality' in my post Animal......I just dont' see the parallels that you've drawn, between the two.

Cheers

Don't have to agree with me, my friend. That was never my intention. It's clear we see it differently, I think we're best off leaving it at that hey.

All the best mate.

Thanks for the support, guys.

Departure is two days away. I'm struggling trying to concentrate on my day job right now :)
Hey Naige, only 1 day to go, whooohooo, and for the record, I can see exactly what this producer sees in your music. The band has a great vibe, obvious song forming skills, a great look and highly competent players. I'd love to record my drums in such a wonderful acoustic environment. Let those babys breathe!

We've started uploading video blogs! Keep your eyes peeled to www.youtube.com/luckylewmusic

Also, some pictures of the studio and the amazing studio kit:

The drums! Note the cowbell mounted on the longest counterweighted boom stand I could find :)
Drumkit_Front01.JPG

Driver's side view and a nice view of the studio room (a converted theatre from the '20s)
Drumkit_Driver02.JPG

The desk
MixingDesk.JPG

The stage where we're set up for drum tracking
Stage01.JPG

Just a few of the amps we have to our disposal
Amps.JPG

Last edited:
That's looks like a real nice studio and props on getting the chance to work there I hope it works out well for ya'll, but I'm wondering; What's the purpose of what looks like a subwoofer mounted and turned facing your kicks reso?

That's looks like a real nice studio and props on getting the chance to work there I hope it works out well for ya'll, but I'm wondering; What's the purpose of what looks like a subwoofer mounted and turned facing your kicks reso?

That's a homemade subkick, basically a speaker element turned into a huge microphone for capturing extreme low-end sounds.

It's been a common studio tool for many years, and Yamaha has made it into a product: http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=544671

Cool Kit. Keller maple, I suspect. Those things are freakin' everywhere, including in my practice room! I like that style of floor tom Rim - basket style. I thought they quit making them. Used to have them on my 1st Keller kit and they worked great.

Nice big room, must be a blast recording in there! Hope it's all going well - looks like quite the adventure!

Hope it's going well Naige. I like the look of the mic treatment very much. Nice attention to cymbal mics and a big diaphram job to capture the room sound out front. My latest demo studio experience has me reduced to 3 mics, now badly placed due to early reliance on close mics that failed. Arrgghhhhh. I bet the resulting sound from your recording will be superb. It just looks soooo right!

Back