Warmest drum heads

what would you say give you the warmest heads?

lets say you have a single ply medium weight head thats obviously coated
who offers the warmest heads, remo, evans, or aquarian.

same with 2 ply heads

one plies are warmer than 2 right?

Man your asking a tougher question than you might think....ones definition of "warm" will vary a ton. How would you describe warm?
I don't want to be a prick...but I guarantee there are a lot of people on this forum that have no idea what "warm" means... they read what's on the manuf. sites and use it like they have a clue. Words that describe drum sounds are so subjective to ones interpretations. I wish they weren't used as much as they are, seems like there is a new one every other month.

if what I said doesn't pertain to you then disregard.....you know who you are that it does.

Do a google search for "Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible".

Anything you ever wanted to know... It's there.

Yes, and much of it wrong. But at least it's disorganized!

Warmest heads I've ever used are the Evans EC1s. Quite dark, very resonant. Avoid the horrifying Evans frosty "coating," get the clears.

Do a google search for "Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible".

Anything you ever wanted to know... It's there.

IMHO opinion, this bible is extreme overkill.

2 Ply heads sound thicker and "warmer". If you're looking for that fat, studio, equalized sound, Evans hydraulics or Aquarian Studio-X have that "fat" warm sound. They just don't project very well.

IMHO opinion, this bible is extreme overkill.

2 Ply heads sound thicker and "warmer". If you're looking for that fat, studio, equalized sound, Evans hydraulics or Aquarian Studio-X have that "fat" warm sound. They just don't project very well.

I agree here and with drumtechdad. The so called "tuning bible" is just way to confusing for a beginner. There is some of heplful stuff in there but it's overcrowded buy a lot of nonsense. I would refer someone wanting to learn about tuning to the Evans website. It doesn't matter if you like their heads. Their site has the tuning basics. Start there and grow from there.

In my usage of the word "warm", I consider it as the opposite of "bright". More roundness in the lower to middle frequencies.

By that definition, the heads that will accentuate the low pitches will be 2-ply, and the further muffling offered by coated heads takes out much of the highs (plus it takes out the attack sound of the stick, which is made up of a lot of high frequencies as well). Pinstripes, ECs and the like just muffle certain frequencies (a lot of the lows and highs, I've found, giving them a very "mid-rangey" sound). So, I would say 2-ply coated heads. Someone who can distinguish the difference between an Evans head and Remo head by sound alone probably work for one of the companies. I don't hear a difference. I have used both, and they both sound good. The coating on Remo heads tends to come off sooner, though, so I stick to Evans G2 coated heads.

Where do Fibreskin heads fit in this category. My coated G2's are starting to sound a little tinny or hard plastic sounding even with wood tips. Any suggestions?

See, to my ears 1 ply coated heads sound the warmest. I really like coated ambassadors but am running Fiberskyns on my toms right now and they sound big, fat, round and warm. I'd say they're equal to the coated ambs in the warmth dept. I tried coated G2s on these stave drums and they're louder...but I hear less of the drums and more of the heads.

I tried coated G2s on these stave drums and they're louder...but I hear less of the drums and more of the heads.

I don't see how a double-ply head would be louder than a single-ply head. It would seem that the double-ply head would be more resistant to moving air, which is, after all, what sound is...

This is weird to me as well...On my DW kit, the G2s give me more of the woody shells' sound than G1s do. On my 1970 Ludwig kit, the opposite is true. I can't explain this. I guess it varies kit to kit. I guess nobody has addressed about how the selection of head (adds/subtracts) the resonance of the shell itself (into/out) of the sound. Does that add to the sound's warmth (thin shells) or brightness (thick shells)? It all factors in, I guess.

Maybe the drumming world has it all backwards--maybe a more freely resonating shell is able to absorb the vibration of the head, putting out its woody sound, but stifling the sound of the head, thereby making the sound quieter. I mean, what are the chances of the head and shell actually resonating in tandem to the exact same frequencies of fundamentals AND harmonic overtones to amplify each other? If there's ANY conflict of frequencies, phase cancellation will occur, which will reduce the overall volume. Hmm...maybe thick shells that don't resonate at all and just act as an air chamber for the heads will become the new desired sound. The new "fad".

"How the head affects the amount of resonance a shell gives off and how that resonance affects the overall sound" would be a great topic for a new thread...

I think when I say this most people will call me crazy.... but I have always gotten lower tones from the G1's than I do from G2's tuned the same. I know this goes against the technical jargon, but for me it has always been the case. This has been true on my masters kit, my DW kit and my sonor kit.

I don't see how a double-ply head would be louder than a single-ply head. It would seem that the double-ply head would be more resistant to moving air, which is, after all, what sound is...

This is weird to me as well...On my DW kit, the G2s give me more of the woody shells' sound than G1s do. On my 1970 Ludwig kit, the opposite is true. I can't explain this. I guess it varies kit to kit. I guess nobody has addressed about how the selection of head (adds/subtracts) the resonance of the shell itself (into/out) of the sound. Does that add to the sound's warmth (thin shells) or brightness (thick shells)? It all factors in, I guess.

Maybe the drumming world has it all backwards--maybe a more freely resonating shell is able to absorb the vibration of the head, putting out its woody sound, but stifling the sound of the head, thereby making the sound quieter. I mean, what are the chances of the head and shell actually resonating in tandem to the exact same frequencies of fundamentals AND harmonic overtones to amplify each other? If there's ANY conflict of frequencies, phase cancellation will occur, which will reduce the overall volume. Hmm...maybe thick shells that don't resonate at all and just act as an air chamber for the heads will become the new desired sound. The new "fad".

"How the head affects the amount of resonance a shell gives off and how that resonance affects the overall sound" would be a great topic for a new thread...

You know, I only noticed this on my Unix shells. On the last DW kit AND the Pearl MCX kit I had the G2s sounded much warmer and fatter than a single-ply head. I much preferred them. On these shells, which are much more sensitive and clear, the G2s are noticeably more "cutting" and I hear much less of the shell. I was disappointed as I really like those heads, but on these drums they sound like crap to me. They feel weird too, very heavy and stiff - never had that issue using them on other drums. On my Ludwig Classic Maples I was only happy with coated ambassadors on the batters...nothing else brought out the sounds I wanted.

See, to my ears 1 ply coated heads sound the warmest. I really like coated ambassadors but am running Fiberskyns on my toms right now and they sound big, fat, round and warm. I'd say they're equal to the coated ambs in the warmth dept. I tried coated G2s on these stave drums and they're louder...but I hear less of the drums and more of the heads.

which model of Fiberskyns are you using.?

Also, you have to take into consideration the room you are listening in. Standing waves, the drums particular tuning, room resonance, all these things and more come into play. Acoustics are so darn complicated, and describing them is like describing smells or flavors, there's a lot of room for interpretation. One mans warm is another mans muddy.

Couple things.

EC1s are IME warmer than anything mentioned so far in this thread. And they do not muffle lows as someone mentioned. Very fat, lots of body. Not for everyone, but lows they have aplenty.

2-ply heads can indeed sound bright, especially clears. They can also sound slappy. Depends on the drum. If you're looking for "warm," then I'd look into coated 2-plies.

Finally, single plies are in fact usually louder than 2-plies, all other things being equal.

what would you say give you the warmest heads?

lets say you have a single ply medium weight head thats obviously coated
who offers the warmest heads, remo, evans, or aquarian.

same with 2 ply heads

one plies are warmer than 2 right?

gonna try and keep this stupid simple -

clear = bright

coated = warm

single ply = bright

2 ply = warm

so i (thats just me) believe a 2 ply coated head will be warmest.

i know i'm oversimplifying, but tuning is chaulk full of grey areas, i think warm and sustain are the two most contraversial words in tuning :)

good hunting!

Back