Drumming accidents?

t-bone

Just curious as what accidents you fellow drummers may have had....and what was the worst or funniest ones that may have occured to you....I've had a few mishaps, but the funniest one was falling off of a stage at an outdoor show with an Alice Cooper tribute I used to play in....7 stitches to my head, an a concussion later.....best part was it was at the end of the gig, and it looked planned....only in rock and roll....\m/

When I play live, sometime I hit my hand with the metalside of the drums and only one time I bleed beacuse of that. Sorry for my english, I hope to understand me

Missed a cymbal with the stick and split my knuckle open, had blood everywhere by the end of the night and since then I have actually seen a couple pro drummers do it too while watching live concerts on TV.

Posted this story once before, in the "Biggest Gaffes" thread- but I think it can belong here as well..

Playing on an old '60s Ludwig throne (the traditional type with one main leg and two wing legs) at an outdoor gig with a cover band in about 1975. Had the main leg of that damned old throne punch right through the drum riser, dropping my ample butt on the riser right in the middle of of the crunchy part of "Free Bird" (don't kill me- it was relatively new at the time, and none of us had gotten sick of it yet!). Wham. Then silence. Then hilarity.

That initial plunge, and then trying to pull the remains back up out of the riser, mangled up the wing legs badly enough that the throne was trash... Ended up playing the rest of the set on a folding metal chair turned kinda 45 degrees sideways (to bridge over that gaping hole) with a couple of jackets folded up on top of it to get a little extra height, and had one *seriously* pissed-off coccyx for several weeks after. Went out and bought one of those newfangled modern Rogers tripod thrones right afterwards: the first piece of anything I ever owned with a memory lock. Still have that throne, actually, welded up several times, and with a Roc-n-Soc bicycle seat substituted for the old thin round biscuit. I think of that gig everytime I sit on that throne.

It's like the old story of the carpenter who has the best hammer in the world: he's replaced the handle 4 times and the head twice, but it is still the best hammer ever. And to this day (and for the rest of my career) I will always check any drum riser to make sure that the top surface is something significantly stouter than 1/2" particle board! And yes, I do carry a spare throne as well...

I wear glasses and I managed to hook them with my right hand stick an launched them into the crowd.... Luckily they got picked up by a friend before they got stepped on... LoL!

I wear glasses and I managed to hook them with my right hand stick an launched them into the crowd.... Luckily they got picked up by a friend before they got stepped on... LoL!
hahahah....i busted a pair of sunglasses playing an outdoor show once....whacked them with a stick, then the broken plastic lense cut me under the eye....nice.....and let's not forget the stick in the eye trick....that's always good for a howl....

Hitting yourself on the knuckles with the stick when doing cross overs is aching!

I play traditional and have whacked the fingers on my left hand going between snare and floor tom. I like it, it's a great reminder that I'm doing something wrong.

A back beat to the thumbnail smarts.

My first gig at age 16 at a party and I put the beater through the bass drum head in the first song.

You're a true rocker, t-bone - you took a hit for the team \m/

Was playing a gig at The Roxy in Hollywood back in the 80's. Caught my stick in one of my earings ripping it out and flinging it off into the crowd. I still have a long hole in my ear to prove it. :)

I was playing on a stage in a bar that had a space at the back before the wall and while I was playing I shifted my stool back to get more comfortable and in went the stool with me on it; it sort of wedged in at an upward tilt; I kept playing and it must have looked very weird as I had to reach for everthing, can't really remember if I managed to play the bass drum. Anyway I finished the song and we got a nice hand from the crowd. The bar staff atfer that would always give me the thunbs up when I came in and we would have a good laugh as well. That was 23 years ago. Never again.

I wear glasses, one a couple occasions I've wacked my glasses with the stick and knocked out the lense, thankfully not breaking it, but it would fly to parts unknown on the stage and I had to have everyone in the band stay right where they were until I found it for fear that someone would step on it. Sooooo embarassing.

Just curious as what accidents you fellow drummers may have had....and what was the worst or funniest ones that may have occured to you....I've had a few mishaps, but the funniest one was falling off of a stage at an outdoor show with an Alice Cooper tribute I used to play in....7 stitches to my head, an a concussion later.....best part was it was at the end of the gig, and it looked planned....only in rock and roll....\m/

Ouch! Glad you made it through.

I once had to deal with riser sections that kept moving apart, threatening to tip over a cymbal stand. I had to play most of a song holding the stand with my left hand. Most people thought that was part of the show, like I was showing off how well I could play with one hand.

Im surprised there are not more pirate/drummers...one eyed due to shrapnel and/or misplaced swings.

I've cut myself innumerable times on cymbals and cracked my knuckels on rims...let alone the blister problems back when I had a difficult time delivering force without a tight grip.

Watch out for cymbals falling through frayed bags on feet clad in flip-flops...not pleasant.

Back