Ludwig Classic Maple in Green Sparkle/Bonham Kit!

adam!

Here is my (big) baby. Ludwig Classic Maple in Green Sparkle, John Bonham-esque kit. 14x26, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18, (6.5x14 BB snare)
First, here's how it looked when I got it...
28296_166016850459_514015459_4210818_5116874_n.jpg
And here she is today...
S5030733.JPG
S5030734.JPG
S5030735.JPG
And finally, pictured with my late 70's Black Beauty, and some cymbals and hardware (and of course ching ring!)...
S5030742.JPG
S5030745.JPG
S5030747.JPG
Couple pics with flash...
S5030736.JPG
S5030748.JPG
I realize some people may be entirely offended that I don't have 2002's hanging with my kit, or a Speed King pedal... but this is where I'm at right now. Maybe down the road that might be an option, but what I've got works just fine.
Now, pics aside... THIS KIT SOUNDS UNREAL!! I know this isn't 100% accurate to JB's original studio kit (and I'm fine with that), but in person or recorded is pretty spot on. And to me, that's what really counts anyway.
Thanks for looking!

Good God it's 1969 all over again! Love how you changed out the spurs to the curved ones - an even bigger nod to the time would've been if you had found the thinner curved spurs. And that rail mount - perfection!

What you need is a Speed King pedal that squeaks!

But you gotta lose those felt strips! That drum needs to be able to reproduce whole notes!

Totally cool! Glad you like your classic maples - I'm loving mine!

Very nice!! I just ordered a Classic Maple 26/14/16 yesterday!

Nice, that will definitely get you by! I use the 18 the least... the whole Buddy Rich/second floor tom story comes to mind...

I'll just bet it does. It LOOKS unreal too mate. I can certainly live with the "inaccuracies" if you can. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the pardon haha. If you're ever in the states, you're welcome to stop by and play 'em.

Looks great,sir. How's that crash ride working out for you?

Great, I love it. It's a 22" so it almost fills the shoes of a 24". Great definition and warm wash. I use it for jazz and funk stuff too.

Wow that looks awesome... Want to really know how it sounds!

I'm going to try to record it soon. It's so much louder than my DW that I've got to figure out a different way of micing it... Might just room mic it and go with that.

What you need is a Speed King pedal that squeaks!

But you gotta lose those felt strips! That drum needs to be able to reproduce whole notes!

I'm seriously considering a "Squeek King", even before thinking about Giant Beats or 2002's.
And there's no way I can lose the felt strips; it's all that's holding this kit back from complete self-destruction haha.

Fantastic.
Hope it gives you years of fun!

I love my 26's, and I can't see any reason to use anything smaller for the music I play/wish to be involved in. It sounds great at every dynamic for me.
Other than being a bit heavier to move than a small bass drum, the pluses out weigh everything else to me.

10x14 is just a "that's it" sounding drum too, and you can't beat a BB.

Have fun!!!

I realize some people may be entirely offended that I don't have 2002's hanging with my kit, or a Speed King pedal... but this is where I'm at right now. Maybe down the road that might be an option, but what I've got works just fine.
What !!! ... no Rogers Swivo-Matic hi-hat stand .... for the love of Pete ....
-
And to me, that's what really counts anyway.
Perfect ....​

That is one lovely, lovely kit.
We need some sound samples m' boy!

Awesome kit man, I have the 1970 3 ply shells in same sizes and finish and it just rocks... love it for what it is. Have fun!

Attachments

• Vintage Bonham Kit.jpg
    Vintage Bonham Kit.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 6,737
Awesome kit man, I have the 1970 3 ply shells in same sizes and finish and it just rocks... love it for what it is. Have fun!

Thanks man. I actually got the idea and push to "upgrade" mine to look more vintage after seeing your project thread. Aside from obviously John Bonham's kit, your kit gave me the inspiration to do with mine what I did.

Thanks man. I actually got the idea and push to "upgrade" mine to look more vintage after seeing your project thread. Aside from obviously John Bonham's kit, your kit gave me the inspiration to do with mine what I did.

Very cool my brother. You did an awesome job, your kit looks great. It's cool to sit behind that bad boy and light it up to hear the kind of sounds Bonham was hearing huh? It's a different animal for sure, it's not really appropriate for some of today's rock, but it has a unique, powerful sound that I love and I play it as much as I can. Enjoy your kit brother, it's really sweet!

Gorgeous kit indeed, dude, congrats!
I've got a similar (not vintage) kit, you can see it in this post :

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71869&highlight=ludwig

have fun with the tuning, cdrums21's tuning is a great starting point :)

Cheers from sunny italian coast.

Thanks man, it's ironic that this post was bumped, because I was planning on posting new pics soon... Slapped on some Blue/Olive badges AND got an actual 70's Ludwig rail on ebay for $20.
Also, I've seen your kit before and love it, not too many silver sparkles around...
And I'm using cdrums21's same reference for tuning: the Jeff Ocheltree DVD. Great stuff.

Great looking kit. Since you don't need the DW kit you can ship it to me. Just pay the shipping and I will free up the space in your drum room. It's a win-win really.

Thanks man, it's ironic that this post was bumped, because I was planning on posting new pics soon... Slapped on some Blue/Olive badges AND got an actual 70's Ludwig rail on ebay for $20.
Also, I've seen your kit before and love it, not too many silver sparkles around...
And I'm using cdrums21's same reference for tuning: the Jeff Ocheltree DVD. Great stuff.

Hey Strangefruit, thanks for the vote of confidence. I basically tune my drums this way anyway (before I ever heard of Jeff Ocheltree), with a certain methodology I have described in the tuning thread. However, I did reference the Ocheltree video to make sure about the head selection, bass drum muffling, etc. I also posted some interesting info on the tuning in the Bonham drummer thread, as well as in the general discussion section under "Bonham kit tuning.... intersting info!" Check it out if your interest is piqued.

Back