RE: tractor seat or round

DancingMadlyBackwards

RE: tractor seat or round

Throne?

I have had a very nice tractor style throne for the past 4 years or so and I cannot bond with it!?!

I'm constantly adjusting/turning the location of the "horn" or "tongue" part of the seat; don't get me wrong, it stays put, but I don't like having that impediment there; my carcass wants to shift around a little and the horn prevents it. I constantly feel like I'm not comfortable and that the larger seat style is going too far underneath my thigh and inhibiting freedom of motion.

Not to mention the seat takes up more volumetric space in the cockpit area of the kit making it more difficult to get in and out and to move in that space...I'm done with it

Last night I gave up and ordered a new pearl d930 round seat style throne.

What is your preference?

Re: Tractor Seat or Round Style

One of my earliest work opportunities was in the 1950's, driving an Allis Chalmers WD tractor with a 2 bottom plow (plough) behind it. I guess you know my answer!

Last edited:

I've always felt more comfortable with the round ones myself...

I use a tractor style seat now, and I'm happy with it.

I don't find the round ones uncomfortable either, its just what I'm used to. The tractor style seats are the boom when they have a back as well.

I might be switching to the round style on my next throne. You can really only sit on the tractor seat one way, so the cushion gets old a lot sooner than a round one would - but that advantage is negated if I'll continue to use the back rest... Space is also an issue, with the back rest and the tractor seat..

always a tractor guy...love the way my ass just mooshes right into it, no round edges to deal with.

F

I own both. I actually prefer the round style. I have a Roc-nSoc round and a Gibraltar tractor.
I also have a Tama First Chair that has kind of a narrow bench seat that I really like.

Checked out a tractor seat only briefly (at Florian Alexandru-Zorn's basement studio) - was ok but felt hard in comparison to my new Carmichael CT-200 round throne (small/13'' version). I think I made the right decision (already forgot about the price, haha).

Three of my thrones are tractor style and one is round .I have no issue with round thrones, used them for 30 years or so. I just prefer the tractor style.

The tractor style thrones I own in order of preference
Roc N Soc nitro
Tama First chair wide rider with back rest
Ludwig with backrest

Round throne
Yamaha single braced base.

Round...

My old "brown" Tama Titan throne is still going strong. I like it so much I bought a second one on the 'bay for a spare. I'd probably buy a third if the deal was right. I am a huge fan of the older Tama hardware.

Tried a Tama first chair "tractor style" and felt like the OP-constricted in all the wrong places. I just gave it to my nephew who is too excited to have a good throne he probably doesn't care what shape seat it has.

I have both. A tractor style on the kit, and a round one upstairs on the practice kit/pad.

I prefer the tractor style as I like a cutout for my legs, so I feel like I have a little more mobility.

I like the tractor seat because I feel like I'm farming.

I prefer round, I tend to move around a lot in the seat and I just find it more comfortable.

I've had a Pork Pie trac.around 1yr. I like it a lot. I still have the round Tama Titan. It's a little lumpy now. Bought it in 1980. I did put a wool looking cover on it. I use it with the practice pads. and my guitarist sits on it. I preferr the PP

I prefer round. I have a Roc n Soc round, a Roc n Soc tractor, a DW round, and a Kaman "square" stool. The Roc n Soc round is the most comfortable of them all for drumming, the Kaman "square" stool is the only one tall enough for playing timpani, the Roc n Soc tractor is nitro and has a back so I use it for long recording/mixing sessions, and the DW round is leather so I let students use it on my teaching kit (seriously...a couple of kids have had rancid gas and stunk out my previous Roc n Soc throne in my teaching studio...never again!)

The thing I don't about my tractor throne is that you have to sit on it the right way. With a round throne you can fall on any part of it and it's okay.

I just switched to a round throne and I do see that it's good to have the cutouts for your thighs to move up and down but it's all very subtle.

I can go either way so long as it is comfortable. I finally retired my 34-year-old hydraulic round Samson throne because the foam was wafer thin. I ended up going with a Ford Smart Ass tractor throne. The Swedish memory foam used on the Smart Ass is nothing short of awesome. Best thing I ever did for my back! I would never go back to using a hydraulic stand ever again though. Be good to your back. Things like back pain have a way of catching up with you later in life when you least expect it.

I have never sat on a round throne that was comfortable. Not saying they don't make them but everyone I have ever sat on as only had 1/2" of padding. I have a roc n sock tractor nitro throne. I love the seat but I hate bouncing around. I have hated it for the past 10 years and for some reason I have never replaced it. I should probably do that.

I prefer round. I have a Roc n Soc round, a Roc n Soc tractor, a DW round, and a Kaman "square" stool. The Roc n Soc round is the most comfortable of them all for drumming, the Kaman "square" stool is the only one tall enough for playing timpani, the Roc n Soc tractor is nitro and has a back so I use it for long recording/mixing sessions, and the DW round is leather so I let students use it on my teaching kit (seriously...a couple of kids have had rancid gas and stunk out my previous Roc n Soc throne in my teaching studio...never again!)

Did you try spraying it with febreeze or bouncing on it until all the gas was released?

Did you have to throw it away?

Back