Budget cymbals - which are the best buy???

I have been looking at drumming for a while now and am looking at upgrading my cymbals, I have been playing Zildjian Planet Z's and Sabian Solar, and to be honest they sound awful. I am looking at buying a set of crash, ride and hats around the £150 mark. I have been looking at Meinl MCS, Sabian B8 adn Paiste PST5's. Which are best for rock, metal drumming sound and value and durability etc. As you have noticed, other reviews etc. have led me to discount any mid range / entry Zildjians. WHICH ARE THE BEST BUY!!??!?!

ZHT hi-hats are amazing. That is what I have, and they are not that expensive. The ZHT crash doesn't sound bad either. Planet Z sucks lol. I have the ZBT ride too, it's ok, but it was cheap and at the time, decent sounding. I don't know about any other rides crashes etc. Hope this helps though.

Stagg cymbals are really good value, but Paiste PST3s and PST5s are also really good. Hope that helped! :)

Thanks, if anyone could try and descibe sound that would be great, everyone hates the Zildjian Planet Z's but i have to say i have the 18" crash ride and i love the crash sound, amybe its because its heavier or something, maybe because its about 10years old and lost its new-ness and shiny-ness, but i like that sound....

the best is defenatly the ZHT range they are brill for the price and there are loads of cymbals in the range

Buying used is wise, but if that's not an option, B8Pros are pretty bright and cutting. Saluda is a great option, as well, although shipping might kill you. ZXT cymbals are good, and the PST5s have generally good reviews. Stay away from B8s and ZBTs, especially on hats and ride. Crashes generally are a little more flexible and less important.

I have listened to the Dream cymbal clips on thier website and like them, struggling to find a place that sell them in the UK - i will end up going for sabian b8 or meinl mcs, unless anyone has any other suggestions, also any cheap websites that would deliver to the UK without stupidly overpriced p&p would be great!

I have listened to the Dream cymbal clips on thier website and like them, struggling to find a place that sell them in the UK - i will end up going for sabian b8 or meinl mcs, unless anyone has any other suggestions, also any cheap websites that would deliver to the UK without stupidly overpriced p&p would be great!

Go to the Zildjian site, they have samples of the sound of the cymbal too, I'm pretty sure.

I was goin to mention the B8 too, but I wasn't sure about the price. But I have the B8 thin crash, and I like it. I don't remember what the price was though.

took me about 2 seconds to find this!

http://www.dmdrums.co.uk/Dream.htm

also.. "All Dream cymbal prices are INCLUSIVE OF UK Mainland Shipping !"

and there are good soundclips on each cymbal in store.

You could also look for a professional pair of used hats and crashable ride/ rideable crash/ crash-ride.
Two cymbals [or three, for all those annoyances that find that hats MUST be considered two individual cymbals at all times...] is pretty sparce, but it could tide you off till you get a legit crash.

There are plenty of drummers that are great with only two [or three...] cymbals, check out Darren King of MuteMath.

Thanks for the advice, i am looking at the dream cymbals, can anyone recommend which ones, the sound clips arent great, they give an idea but for a heavy hitter, they do no justice, i like the price tag on them but i have read to be cautious with hand hammered, what is the risk compared to a machine hammered cymbal???

Last edited:
Say i am looking for a set of hats, a ride and a crash, they need to be bright and cutting in sound and fairly cheap - what do you reccomend?

the PST 5's really dont sound that bad . i have a 18" thin and a 10" splash and if you didn't see the logo you could swear it was a higher end cymbal. fyi i use them in rock type situations.

Back