Drum Head Matrix?

sticky.widget

Hey Folks –

I’m about to the point that I need to change heads and am thinking I might like to try something new. While researching the different types of heads by the main manufacturers, it struck me how helpful it might be if there were some type of “head matrix” available that essentially lists the key specs and characteristics of the various heads produced by most companies…for the benefit of being able to better compare or cross-reference products of the same family (single ply, two-ply, power dot, etc.) between manufacturers.

We see it quite often in threads here, i.e. “Ambassadors = G1’s”, but I’m interested in a little more information than that. Specifically, stuff like ply thickness, built in dampening or ring control, power dot mil thickness, etc. Does such an animal exist?

I know there are head qualities that no spreadsheet or matrix could convey, but I can see how it may be able to help the person who (for example) is currently running a single ply head that is X thick and wants to try something a little thicker (or thinner)...what are his/her options? Or, what are my options for the thinnest 2-ply heads?

Seems like some kind of spreadsheet detailing some of these specs could assist in narrowing one’s choices without having to scrounge around the various manufacturer web sites. This could obviously be applied to resonant heads, snare heads, etc. as well. It may not help much for those that are loyal to one manufacturer, but for those of us that aren’t opposed to trying other brands I certainly see a benefit. The next time you read, “run Head X with an Ambassador reso”, you could check the specifics of your current resos against the Ambassadors, on the fly….you get my drift.

Let me know if anybody’s seen anything remotely resembling what I’m looking for. If it doesn’t exist, I think I might have my next spare-time project….

Cheers!

Thanks, but I've seen both of those. Aquarian's is the "Classic=Ambassador=G1" I cited in my example. Evan's is the Evans family only.

Looking for detailed specs.

Back