DW guys in here ( your bass drum)

Mathew 7:21

What are you guys using for heads? Do you use the pillow that came with it? Im having a hard time getting a good sound out of this drum (26"). Ive been playing for about 31 years and the bass drum I thought was the easiest to tune but this drum is driving me mad. This is my second DW kit, the first one I had a 18x20 and it was a cake walk compared to this beast. I almost always had 24"s in birch. Man Im thinking that Im just not a maple guy.....I think birch is my wood......that fat wet sound! Help!

For my 22" I run it close to stock, although I will go with a solid DW logo head or a 4" ported DW logo head. I am not a fan of the DW "Vented" logo head because I think it's a bad compromise - you don't get the sound of a solid head, and you don't get the ease-of-micing options that you get with a standard ported head.
I usually keep the pillow in; I've used powerstroke 3's and Superkicks on the 22" and I'm happy either way.

I'm also using a 28" - I struggled with it for a while and the key was to crank it up higher than I thought. And while that drum is huge, it's not like you're sitting in a subwoofer or something. The sound and feel is different - definitely big, but remember that the sound for a drum that big (and even a 26) requires some space to develop, so being right on top of it may not be exactly what you expect.

On my 22" I am running a clear Emad 2 with the small foam ring. I run the stock DW logo Ambassador head with a 6" porthole in about the 9 oclock area.

I don't have any muffling inside the drum at all. It sounds real nice.

I play a DW kit at church (22") also that has the DW stock head on front with the little holes, but it also has a 4" porthole at the 4 oclock position.

It has an Aquarian SK2 with the DW dogbone pillow in it. It sounds a little better than mine. It has more thump and less tone than mine does.

Both drums sound great!

Good luck tuning yours!

try cranking the reso tighter than you would think. A drum that big has to be tighter than you think to make the best out of all that space, and even though you might think it's too tight, out front it will sound massive. The batter head should probably on the loose side, but not too loose, like medium loose, with a little tension, and maybe a towel inside, nothing major. Try that.

try cranking the reso tighter than you would think. A drum that big has to be tighter than you think to make the best out of all that space, and even though you might think it's too tight, out front it will sound massive. The batter head should probably on the loose side, but not too loose, like medium loose, with a little tension, and maybe a towel inside, nothing major. Try that.

Alright guys thanks for all your advise....I'll give it shot.

Back