PP ( Performance Percussion ) Crap :(

Sizes ( correct I think )

12x10"
13x11"
22x16"
16x16"
14x6,5"

dsc02110.jpg

The Setup is a little wobbly, but I think it was comfy ;)

Joe

I don't have any pics of it (maybe my mom does somewhere), but it was a four-piece Ludwig in orange sparkle, probably from the late '60's or '70's. I got it when I was about nine, and gradually added stuff onto it for about ten years, and it became a Frankenstein kit if ever there was one.

When I was about sixteen, me and a buddy painted the whole thing purple. Didn't sand it or take the wrap off or anything, just went at it with Krylon spray paint. We were classy.

000_0091.jpg

This was the first kit. Had a set of pie plates for hats, and Piaste 302 crash and ride. $300 bucks.

1979. I was 19, and working a cheap job, I saved up and had the money in the bank. I forget what I wanted to buy, really, but I came home from work one night, and my parents had spent all of my money. They knew nothing about drums except one name, .... Rogers.
First pic was taken that night, Nov. 1979. 14x24, 9x13, 10x14, 12x15, 16x18, with 5x14 Dynasonic COB Snare, Paiste 2002 14" Heavy Hats, 2002 Paiste Crash, 2002 Ride, Memrilock stands, Humes and Berg Econoline Cases. 950.00, set was purchased new in 1977 for 1450.00, I have the original sales receipt. My brother set them up that night and took the pic. I dunno why I cant find other pictures from then.

Second pic, same drums, Nov. 2006, 14x24, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18, (still have that snare too), this one is 8x14 Dynasonic Maple, Stands are DW, Pedals are Tama Iron Cobra, Cymbals are now Zildjian K Custom. And those econoline fibre cases lasted 22 years.

Attachments

• RogersSilverMetallicNov79.jpg
    RogersSilverMetallicNov79.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 6,167
  • P8120311a.jpg
    P8120311a.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6,225
Sorry I don't have any pictures but my first kit was made in Japan and the name on them was Cortley. At the local music store they had two kinds of kits Cortley, and Royce. They were identical but had two different names, I'm pretty sure they were made by Pearl. Anyway it was a three piece snare, tom, and a bass drum in a silver finish. I had one cymbal and it was one of those cheap aluminum cymbals that sounds like a trash can lid. It wasn't much but it got me started.

first time a i played, with my first band, was on a very old and beaten cheapo 'Power Beat' drum kit. From then i borrowed a pearl rythm traveller before about 3 months into my musical journey, picked up my gretsch catalina birch second hand for 800 australian.

Still have it, and it still does me proud.

I also have bits of the powerbeat kit, the floor tom has now become the bass drum for my bebop kit!

IM tooo lazy to find the photos!

My first drum was my father's Slingerland field snare from the mid 30's (still have that one). First kit was an early 60's black (painted) Ludwig Club - the ones with the double lugs in the shell center and the long tension rods. Had a black wooden Ludwig 5X14" snare (wish I had that one now - burned up in a club fire). 12" tom and a 22" bass. Took the snares off the old marching drum and used it for a floor tom on a stand. Gave these Luddies away to a buddy of mine last August (36 years after I got 'em).

My first kit was an no-name Japanese kit consisting of three drums: a 12" rack tom, a 5/14" wood snare and an 18" bass drum,all outfitted with drumheads made out of very cheap,coated plastic,in a weird fake wood finish. It did not include a hi hat or cymbal stands,only a very poorly molded 10" brass cymbal on a shell-mount holder. Needless to say,I destroyed this kit on the second day I played it but,being a child of poverty,I had no recourse other than to keep using it. I was too ignorant of drums and drumming to realise that I could've replaced the broken heads with "real" heads; hell,I didn't even know how to tune the bloody thing as I had no drum key.I think because of having possessed such junk as this that I keep an inordinate amount of drum keys on hand and own more cymbals than I probably need as I understand completey what it is like to have to go without.My heart goes out to the younger kids in this forum that are still too young to work and must make do with inferior garbage; they are lucky in so far that things like "beginner cymbals" exist and that today's "starter kits" are far more resiliant than anything that I ever owned in my younger days....My second kit was a four piece Japanese "Trump" outfit in nice gold sparkle; that one lasted me almost forever and I played my first gigs with it....but that's another story for some other time....

This was my very first drumset and current drumset. Played on my dads kit before this baby:) Mapex saturn by the way...

So here are the picture.. tried on the first post, but something went wrong.
And it happened again so here his the link:

My first kit consisted of a 12(x7?)'' pearl White consert tom, a 16x14'' vintage ( No badge, still have it) unknown brand floor tom, a 22x14 pear bassdrum, a 14x5 Tama swingstar snare, 14'' Paiste 2002 heavy hats ( yes, I was lucky, still use them), 14'' Sabian Pro hats (Yay, two hats!! ) and a 17'' cracked Zildjian A Custom Crash, I sold the hats for about the same amount of money that I bought the kit for. Translated to american: 1500 NKR = $ 230, 76.
I later sold the kit for Twice that without cymbals and some extra toms I got for free from a friend, I held on to the Paiste hats and the floor tom. All together I sold the kit for 630 bucks!

P.S. I must say:

All the starter kits look SOOO classy with the white remo reso kick head! They look, and must sound, alot better. I need to get a clean bass head!

No photos, but my first set was a partial set. Gretsch, 20 x 16 Bass drum, and a 14 x 5 snare drum with a 18 inch zildjian crash/ride. If memory serves. These were in white pearl finish. I had these stored at my sisters house, and literally just found out that about 10 years ago my son, love em to death, GAVE, them to a friend without asking Dad. He is number one on my poop list right now. Oh, these were from 1964. I'm starting to tear up again.

I found a picture (kinda). It is a two (?) year old picture of my old band playing live.

TOJ.jpg

heres me when i was 11, combining my first kit with a friends set

OlddrumswithRedsetangle1.jpg

OlddrumswithRedsetangle3.jpg

OlddrumswithRedsetangle2.jpg

heres my kit, with my new (at the time) pedals, with the marshmellow beaters, and the new heads (reso and batter).

olddrumsbeforetama.jpg

heres the kit right before i sold it

Olddrumsangle2.jpg

Olddrumsbyebye.jpg
bye bye old drums

Last edited:
My first kit was a second hand Premier made in the early sixties and purchased for me in 1966. My dad also bought me some Zyn cymbals through my hometown's record & music shop. Having my own kit at 16 was the most exciting thing that had happened up to that point in my life. I am still a drum tragic 40 years and five other drumkits later.

14" x 4" snare
2 x 12" rack toms
16" x 16" floor tom
14" x 20" bass drum
2 x Premier cymbal stands + hi-hat

Ludwig cowbell
18" Zyn crash
20" Zyn ride
14" Zyn hats

We were playing inside a store in 1969, our jazz trio demonstrating a new Hammond organ being played by my twin brother.

Attachments

• jon1969b.jpg
    jon1969b.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5,837
Back