Metronome for live?

jer

Silver Member
Hoping that those of you that use metronomes live could shed some light on your setups.

I was told that the Tama Rythm Watch will accept a pedal to move through banks, but the web site doesn't elaborate (or confirm) on this function. Any other models that do this?

Also, what do you use for headphones? Do you just take the click in your head and adjust the monitors so you can hear over the click?

I don't run any sequences and we rely on house PA. I've thought about getting a small mixing board to accept the monitor feed and metronome and mix myself, but would love to see how some folks apply this in the real world.

Thanks!

I don't do this myself, but a mixer definitely sounds like the best option. Then you can have isolation headphones or in-ear monitors and won't need to have everything so loud.

By the way, I've just seen an Audio Technica product for in-ear monitors that allows each person to create their own monitor mix themselves! Sounds amazing!

Hi
I play small to mid-level clubs and private parties. Here is how I handle metronomes for live settings... On our set list next to the key of the song is the tempo. I carry a cheap Quick Time Metronome on a small table that holds my drink,set list, etc...do a quick adjustment for correct tempo ,,,,sing the song in my head and count off the band(takes 5 to 10 sec's or so).
If we start at the correct tempo...I can hold the band in place with solid time.....Done this for the past 15 years and works well. Low tech solution...Denis

I don't do this myself, but a mixer definitely sounds like the best option. Then you can have isolation headphones or in-ear monitors and won't need to have everything so loud.

By the way, I've just seen an Audio Technica product for in-ear monitors that allows each person to create their own monitor mix themselves! Sounds amazing!

I think I kinda know what you are talking about, I've seen bands use some sort of breakout box that accepts the powered monitor feed and splits (and reduces volume) to 4 separate feeds, each with it's own volume control. I imagine something like this would work in conjunction with a small mixer.

Hi
I play small to mid-level clubs and private parties. Here is how I handle metronomes for live settings... On our set list next to the key of the song is the tempo. I carry a cheap Quick Time Metronome on a small table that holds my drink,set list, etc...do a quick adjustment for correct tempo ,,,,sing the song in my head and count off the band(takes 5 to 10 sec's or so).
If we start at the correct tempo...I can hold the band in place with solid time.....Done this for the past 15 years and works well. Low tech solution...Denis

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not really a solution for what I would like to achieve. Sure it's an easy way to make sure you start the song in time, but I guess I'm not confident enough that I won't allow myself to let the adrenaline kick in and push the song a little further than I'd like. I've been playing without a click live for the past 15 years, I get by just fine, I guess I'm just looking to help the band tighten up even further.

Which makes me think of another question, how do I help keep band members in time when I'm not playing? Maybe a metronome with a visual indicator that the guys can keep and eye on when I'm not the one starting a song? Maybe it's not uncommon for everybody to get a piece of the click in an in-ear monitor situation?

After looking at the Tama Rhythm Watch, I'm also thinking 30 songs isn't enough, I'd prefer not to have to program it for different bands' shows. Anyone recommend another metronome for me to research?

Thanks again!

I've seen some pretty elaborate setups. Through the house board via DI box using a pre-programmed iPod or Zune. One mono click channel goes direct to the drummer, and the other stereo channel is back-track (if at all). I've also seen where the drummer has a full on 8-12 track mixing board at his/her side for mixing in whatever.

Personally, I don't use a click live (right now), but when we were, it was through the DI system and all I had to do was hit play and the sequence cued everyone (piano or whatever). The pre-recorded back track was to a click, so everyone was always in perfect time.

Now, multichannel in-ear setups...that multiple receiver packs can pick up off of is a cool idea but can be a bit pricey. Worth it if everyone is on-board with using an in-ear setup. Usually can plug up multiple tracks right off the motherboard or the main monitor mixing board. Either way, design it how you want it. Just make sure the places you book at can handle what your show brings and invest in lots of 9-volt batteries. Just two shows ago myself...sound guy (stupid kid left in charge) didn't know how to hook up my in ear transmitter (I know, right?!?!) and wouldn't listen to me telling him how easy it was. Went that show without and played by the seat of my pants.

You could try calling Tama customer service. Whats the worst that could happen? You'd have to just try experimenting with what the rhythm watch can and can't do.

Good luck

Hi Jer
Several additional comments:
1. Are the band members able to play to a click track together????? Not as easy as it appears.
2.Programming a metronome may not work all the time...We(call out the songs in both bands I work with and the song selection varies on the gig and crowd.
3.With respect to adrenaline flow...self control is required during the song...I found that checking the metronome at the start of the song help bring tempo reality into play and still allowed a little push/pull when needed live!
4.Ended all discussion regarding song tempo's
5.Sometime a low tech solution is the best.
Good luck
Denis

Hi Jer
Several additional comments:
1. Are the band members able to play to a click track together????? Not as easy as it appears.
2.Programming a metronome may not work all the time...We(call out the songs in both bands I work with and the song selection varies on the gig and crowd.
3.With respect to adrenaline flow...self control is required during the song...I found that checking the metronome at the start of the song help bring tempo reality into play and still allowed a little push/pull when needed live!

... which is exactly why a tempo meter is what's needed. Metronome is like a ball and chain, it doesn't foster a good 'feel', its like roller skating on rails. Tempo meters allow you to skate freely between/outside the rails without sonic stress.

Tempo meters let you know where you are visually. You don't need to hear/listen to where your 'supposed' to be, you've got better things to be listening to. Instead, you see where your at, when you want, its not continually forced upon you. A big plus when there's loud music happening.

Tempo meters allow the band to breathe. Most musicians can't play in time with a metronome.

Tempo meters allow you to validate who's the cause of the tempo change... you, or one of them. Within this process you're internal clock is strengthened. You control the tempo with a tempo meter as opposed to a metronome which controls you.

Guitar player speeds-up two bpm when they solo? Want to start a discussion with a guitar player about his timing at rehearsal, or the gig?

No problem, let them rush their solo. With a meter there's no audio competition, you 'see' the time and know instantly where the groove is. Why be stressed by an onslaught of 'tug-of war audio' from both a metronome and the band?

Check out a tempo meter.

Hi Les Ismore
You caught my interest!!!!!!!.What is a Tempo Meter...Does your band use one???? What national touring band use this device?????
What is it?
Who Controls it in your band????
Who makes these devices?
All my metronomes have lights which is what I refer to for use.....
Once again TX for the info in advance. Denis

Hi Les Ismore
You caught my interest!!!!!!!.What is a Tempo Meter...Does your band use one???? What national touring band use this device?????
What is it?
Who Controls it in your band????
Who makes these devices?
All my metronomes have lights which is what I refer to for use.....
Once again TX for the info in advance. Denis

Check the links in post #6

Hi Les Ismore
So have you used it?
Where do you put the light?
Are you controlling it(setting the tempo)???
What your personnel experience with this device???
I need more info...Tx Denis

Hi Les Ismore
So have you used it?
Where do you put the light?
Are you controlling it(setting the tempo)???
What your personnel experience with this device???
I need more info...Tx Denis

Groove Guide used to have a video on their site, it may still be there.

I have these and use them. I've burned through 1 Ref and 1 groove guide (had them factory reconditioned). The Tempo Ref works best with a trigger for live apps, great for tapping out song tempos. Ref has 66 user settings for pre-programing a metronome (song starts), great when there's a set list.

Groove Guide is a no frills meter. More robust than Ref, GG has a metal case, easy use controls, 1/4 " jacks (Ref mini plug jacks). GG is clamp or cymbal stand mountable, Ref is limited in how it can be mounted. Ref is smaller, uses button batteries, GG powered by a wall wart.

Both unit work better/best with a quality trigger.

I think i know exactly what you are talking about, I use a DB-90 for everything!!!. . I recently got our whole church onto one of these because it so user friendly yet very effective, (so much so aaron gillespie seen it and now uses it also). . . But the very set up i have is DB-90 by boss, a rolls personal monitor ( This allows your monitor and your click to be plugged in and your able to control both volumes going into your ears) and than just a quality pair of in-ear headphones (I use shure, they are the best in my opinion, but its totally up to you) . . . I have used this set up for about 5 years in clubs, churches, outdoor events, etc. . . . the whole set up will cost you about $350-$400 . . but with the DB-90 you can get pedals that start and stop your click and advance forward and backward. . . The DB-90 by itself is not so loud, and thats why i recommend getting the rolls personal monitor (they are only about $60). . . if you have any question please ask. .

I use the Tama Rythm watch live, though I haven't used it with a pedal yet. (maybe I'll try tha today).

Anyway, I have all the tempos next to the songs on my set list, I just take a quick spin of the dial between songs to get to the right tempo. Never really had a problem with it. One of the groups I use it for does have a tempo change in a song, but it's durring a spot were I have a pause anyway, so I have enough time to change the temp on the metronome before I have to count the band back in.

For head phones I use a set of in-ears. I have a Rolls PM50 2 channel monitor amp, one channel has the click, the other has a regular mix. So I can mix it myself onsatge and get the click as loud as I need.

I use KORG MA 30 Digital metronome and VIC FIRTH stereo isolation headphones. This works prefect for me :)

Back