First E-Kit, recreational drummer

Afroopuff

I've been reading around the forum for the last hour or so and saw a lot of 'beginner drummer' e-kits or people talking about wanting to use their kits at gigs, but nothing about the average entertainment-only/ recreation drummer.

I used to play a lot back in high school, but since going to college and graduating I have not played due to space and sound constraints. I would love to get back into playing, and am most likely going to be living in condo's for the next few years. Most of my playing is just for my own entertainment though.

I am really not looking for anything special, although I appreciate quality in any product I own. Looking to spend no more than 1000, and would like to have a double pedal. I have never played on an e-set before, and would therefore obviously prefer mesh heads like you guys mention, but it doesn't seem like that is within the budget nor perhaps that necessary (please you tell me).

The one thing I am very strict on is that I wish to have the ability to hook the drum machine into my computer to get alternative sounds and sets ect.

Any suggestions/ guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Afroopuff,
I got back into drumming about 4 years ago after a 15 year hiatus (got married). I bought a Roland TD4SK kit new for about $1300. GREAT kit. I sold it about a month ago for $800. Look around on E-Bay and Craig's List. This is the ideal kit for what you want to do. All mesh heads and a small footprint. I also used a double pedal with it.

I'll second alvanko, get a roland set. I don't think the TD4 modual will hook up to a computer though. I got a TD4KX for my first e kit and love it. All mesh too. The Roland TD4K2 would be a good set for you. I have looked around before and it seems all the online discount stores have the same price, $1000. It will support a double bass pedal. But do you want that to start with or later?

I've always heard musciansfriend is a good place to buy stuff, I never have bought anything from there. check out kraft music, they have packages for the e ktis.

Like so: http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/drums/electronicpercussion/8738

The cost of the kit is $1000 there, but it doesn't come with a pedal, throne, head phones or sticks. For $10 over the original cost you get all that.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/drums/electronicpercussion/8739
Link for the all mesh kit.

They also have a package were you get a drum amp.
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/drums/electronicpercussion/8742

EDIT
I scrolled down the page and I read that if you contact them you have the option of switching out the single pedal for a double. Looking at the choices I would go with the Gibraltar Avenger 2. I have the single version of it, it's a good pedal. It would be worth the extra $40 over the Gibraltar prowler. You get double chain instead of single and a solid foot board.

I would not buy into the go with mesh heads because mesh heads or rubber heads will never feel like real drums (period) Go with feels best, E-drums are E-drums, Acoustic drums are Acoustic drums, no way around that!

I have the yamaha DTXxpress 4 special now upgarded to a dtx5xx series. The roland I hated when I was shopping for a few years ago and the yamaha's just felt better to me, But now after playing a few roland kits more and more when I visit my local GC I like them too. Out of the two go with the one that's got the right price tag. Yamaha and Roland are the only ones I would buy.

Here's a cover I did a few years back on my yamaha, not that it makes a difference lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVOB5DEjZQ

First off, thanks a bunch for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Not going to lie, very conflicted on this first decision. I keep going and looking at the Roland TD4k2 and also the DTX520k. Neither stand out and really impress me. I like the idea of the mesh head for the snare, but the more I think about it, am I really paying an addition 300 dollars just to get the mesh snare? It seems like the all-rubber pad sets are a lot more affordable from Yamaha. What is the deal with the the DTX500K? It come in around 700 from kraft, and has all rubber pads, but are the the same quality/set up as the 520, just no mesh head on the snare?

Also, the drum modules don't seem to have any computer hook up to update their sounds? I know Alesis offers this on a lot of their modules. That seems to be a great feature if you ask me, can you guys weigh in on this? Why is everyone so against any company other than Roland and Yamaha? Is it quality of product or just the modules or what? Thanks!

I loved the Roland but I sold it to get a Pearl E-Pro, which is basically an Alesis DM10 with different triggers. I like the whole kit better the the Roland TD4SK. It is a matter of preference and budget. I preferred E-drums that looked and felt more like real drums. I got a fantastic price on Pearls (same as a TD4SK). Me, personally, prefer the Pearls 10-1 over the Rolands. But, it is my preference. You and many others may feel differently. I have never used the USB or MIDI hook up on the RED BOX module. It does all that I want as is with headphones a 1/8" mini plugs/cords. Other then downloading new kit sounds from the internet, what would you use the computer hook up for?

Afroopuff, something else you have to look at is the cymbals. That may affect price too.

Yamaha DTX500 every thing is single zone. You only get one sound per pad. And the cymbals? Not choke-able. You get 2 single zone, none choke able crashes and a regular pad for your high hat. Also one zone.

Roland TD4K2 some stuff is double zone, the reset is single. You get the mesh snare that is dual zone. The rubber tom pads are single. the high hat and crashes are dual zone and choke-able. And you get an actual cymbal for the high hat.

Roland TD4KX2 same as the TD4K2, only mesh heads on the toms but the toms are still single zone. You still get the same high hat, but you get a better quality crash (still dual zone with choke) and a very nice ride (3 zones! plus the choke feature)

One other thing I just thought to mention. The bass pad. Yamaha's is very small. If I remember correctly when I was looking at the yamaha the guy at the store said you could do double bass on the yamaha, but you have to have your beaters very close. Roland has a little bit bigger bass pad that is cloth covered instead of rubber.

Yamaha DTX500 every thing is single zone. You only get one sound per pad. And the cymbals? Not choke-able. You get 2 single zone, none choke able crashes and a regular pad for your high hat. Also one zone.

The DTX500 module is capable of more than one zone per pad…the basic 500 series is considered their entry kit and has a price to match ($699)..if you step up to the DTX530, you'll get 3 zones on the snare, 3 zones on the crash and ride (both are choke-able) and a hihat pad that plays and looks more like a regular hihat (i.e., requires a hihat stand) and it sells in $1000-$1200 range..

Afroo,
1. Don't buy into all of that Roland talk. I could buy anything I wanted and I went Yamaha. DTXIII. I liked the sound, the looks, the module, the features, the heads (I don't like mesh) and the price. I think it still has all of the latest do-dads except the new foam heads.
2. If you are going to pound on something and it is going to depreciate, BUY IT USED!
3. I "could" sell you mine for a $1000 with twin chrome iron cobra beater, Senheiser Pro 280? headset and Simmons DA50 Speaker. The only thing you'd need is a throne.

The kit is in excellent shape as they've never been out of the house. This is the way you should go. BUY USED! I've been "thinking" about selling it as I won't practice or gig with it and don't need it anymore. I have 2 other accoustic sets and there's just something about real cymbals that I can't explain. Anyway I'm not really trying to sell you my kit. But it will be up for sale soon. I'm just saying IMHO this is the route to go. Find a top of the line used E kit. Yeah I bought mine new and that was a waste of money. I threw the pictures in to give you an idea of what your used dollars could buy you.

Attachments

• 19_P_1250282048479.jpg
    19_P_1250282048479.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5,203
  • DTXtremeIIISetStandard_high_jpg.jpg
    DTXtremeIIISetStandard_high_jpg.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18,501
  • Module%20Yamaha%20DTXtreme%20III.jpg
    Module%20Yamaha%20DTXtreme%20III.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,693
  • RHY124_gear_yam_crop3-460-80.jpg
    RHY124_gear_yam_crop3-460-80.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,628
. Other then downloading new kit sounds from the internet, what would you use the computer hook up for?

That is the only thing I would use the computer hook up for... is that available on the TD4K and the Yamaha? I may be really confused on this? That is exactly what I think would make a cool feature, so that I can download new drum sounds and always keep it fresh if I wanted to.

railroaddrummer95; said:
. Afroopuff, something else you have to look at is the cymbals. That may affect price too.

What is double zone? For instance, on a crash does that mean I get 2 sounds like a hard hit (side of your stick) and a soft hit (tip of your stick), or does that mean I get two sounds like different parts of the symbal, like the symbal itself (hard and soft) and the bell (hard and soft)?

Skyking; said:
. 3. I "could" sell you mine for a $1000 with twin chrome iron cobra beater, Senheiser Pro 280?

Actually, very much a possibility, just not sure how that would work out with shipping and such? Plus I need to look and see a little more about the kit, but may be interested... I agree with you on the used thing though, but just very skeptical. Relatively expensive piece of equipment to buy used and not see, quality could be in so many different states. Just felt like if saving are only 30%, is it really worth the risk?

Thanks again everyone, sorry to continue the questions, but I really appreciate everyones help

The Roland TD4 kits do not allow you to download new "kit configurations". I think only the the higher end TD-10 and TD-20 allow that. Some type of "expansion" thing. The Alesis and Pearl RED BOX are the only ones I know of that allow you to buy and download new kit sounds

The Roland TD4 kits do not allow you to download new "kit configurations". I think only the the higher end TD-10 and TD-20 allow that. Some type of "expansion" thing. The Alesis and Pearl RED BOX are the only ones I know of that allow you to buy and download new kit sounds

The TD-10 and TD-20 don't allow you to download new kit configurations…what you can do however is buy something called VEX (and this is available for all roland modules, except the td-4)…Vex are just tweaked module settings, nothing new is being added, just someone (at Vex) has taken the time to tweak the module to give you better sounds out of your module…Yamaha's top module (DTXtreme III/900) allows you to download new kit sounds and I believe 2box drummit 5 module does this as well...

Afroo,
Again not selling mine just yet, but somebody has to be selling. Many sell at a good price because they bought it at a good price. (I scored mine as Yamaha was bringing out the foam pads and the retailer cut the price in half.

Yes, it is a piece of electronic equipment and you have to be careful especially with modules but I'd try and score high end stuff locally off of Craig's List. I'd advertise there and in this forum, that I want a high end quality e kit. Insist on seeing and trying it. Also, people with a history of posting on this site would make me feel better as you would have some idea of who you are dealing with.

Finally, have you thought about just buying a cheapie set of used practice pads while saving your money like a mad man on a mission, and then doing all of the above? Yes I wanted it "now" but I really did not know what I wanted or what I was buying. Starting here for advice as you did is the best idea yet . I hope you are on the Electronic Drummers Forum as well :)

What is double zone? For instance, on a crash does that mean I get 2 sounds like a hard hit (side of your stick) and a soft hit (tip of your stick), or does that mean I get two sounds like different parts of the symbal, like the symbal itself (hard and soft) and the bell (hard and soft)?

Dual zone means there are two completely separate playing zones on the cymbal. Just like on a real cymbal if you hit the edge you get more of a crash sound, if you hit the bow (the top part, but not the bell) you get more of a ride sound. On the roland modual you can program these separately. For instance on my ride I have it set up as ride on the bow for playing ride and a 16" crash on the bow for playing crash. And on a 3 zone you have the edge bow and bell. On the roland modual it also has a setting to were if you hit it soft its a bow sound and if you hit it hard its a bell sound. It is kinda hard to control through.

scorch whammin, I know yamaha has more kits than the DTX500, but that is what I was comparing, the DTX500, not the 530, not the 570, not the 700, the 500.

scorch whammin, I know yamaha has more kits than the DTX500, but that is what I was comparing, the DTX500, not the 530, not the 570, not the 700, the 500.

I mentioned the DTX530, because you mentioned more than one version of the td-4...I just wanted to clarify in this post that yamaha offers more than just the basic DTX500 (for others who might not know)...I figured you knew...:)

So I see a TD-6 listed on my local craiglist and I am going to give the guy a call in the morning. I played the TD-4k today and really really liked it. How comparable are these kits, and what should I look out for when I go play the used one? Also, if you guys were throwing out a number, what would you pay for TD-6 with double bass? (Obviously no details so if you wouldn't mind throwing out a range I would appreciate it, I am going to try and look around online also)

I mentioned the DTX530, because you mentioned more than one version of the td-4...I just wanted to clarify in this post that yamaha offers more than just the basic DTX500 (for others who might not know)...I figured you knew...:)

Oh, I get your point now. Makes since to me ;)

afroo, went and looked real quick at the TD6. It looks like it is the same as the TD4K2, but with a bit older modual. What is the guy asking? After looking at what there was on ebay I would say about $500 at the most for the kit it's self, and that would be in good shape. What double bass does it have on it? That kind of makes a difference. Could you provide us with a link?

I bought my set used so here are some things to keep in mind:
Roland's can take a beating. I would say as long as it looks like there isn't any physical damage they should be ok.
Play on them before you buy them! Make sure everything plays correctly.
And on the rubber pads (including the cymbals) they get scuffed up while playing. This is an easy fix, just take some armour all and a paper towel to it and they will like like new again (if they look scuffed up in the pictures take some with you so you can polish them before hand to see if there are any permanent marks)

Thanks Railroad, the kit actually was taken down before I even had a chance to respond, but believe it or not, there is both a Td-4 and td-9 posted again today.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/2806154415.html

TD-9 listed for 1200, seems a little pricey to me, How much better is the Td-9 module for someone who is just looking to get back into drumming? Isn't it just a little excessive?

The TD-4 is listed at 400, so I am going to go take a look.

Keep in mind this is entirely up to you. I say get the TD9. The difference is the module has a lot more sounds and a lot more programmable kits. I think it's worth the extra $200 (it comes with every thing you need.)

How ever there is another TD6:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/2770110098.html

They would both have the same hard ware (you would need to buy all the extra's for the TD6 kit) it's a matter of do you want the better module? At that prices it's hard to pick, but I will tell you this: the TD 9 would be a lot better module and have room for more extra pads than the TD6.

I'm also looking to buy an E-Kit for my son. I haven't found many used around my area. But I'm curious if any of these could be recommended. I'm not looking to spend as much as the OP but I think it would be best to use an E-Kit with headphones with neighbors so close.

Alesis DM6 or any of the Alesis models
http://tinyurl.com/6v9llq2

Pyle-Pro PED02M
http://tinyurl.com/6tx7d3q

I can get these new for under $500 They seem to have good reviews on Amazon.

Back