Need help finding a good electric kit. please.

CorruptionxXx

I've been drumming for 5 - 6 years now, I currently have a dw acoustic kit but i had to leave it at home due to moving into an apartment (noise problems). So I was wondering if you guys could help me in finding a good eletric kit. The current price range is 3000 - 4000 (but preferably closer to 3) I play mostly metal stuff, and alot of avenged sevenfold. So a module with good metal sounds is neccessary. Hopefully sounds similar to dw drums?

side note, in the future I might want to look into using them for recording stuff for a future band, (just for demo stuff)

thanks.

Check out e-drums from Roland: http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/products/index.html and Yamaha: http://www.yamahaelectronicdrums.com/

....those two brands are reportedly the best on the market. The Rolands have the added advantage of mesh heads (these are both quieter than rubber and have the advantage of being tensioned to give a more realistic feel). However, I'm told the Yammies have better built in sounds. Regardless, you should be able to download preset sounds in any case.

What model you get will depend on budget, but needless to say, the more you spend the more Gucci they get.

Check out e-drums from Roland: http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/products/index.html and Yamaha: http://www.yamahaelectronicdrums.com/

....those two brands are reportedly the best on the market. The Rolands have the added advantage of mesh heads (these are both quieter than rubber and have the advantage of being tensioned to give a more realistic feel). However, I'm told the Yammies have better built in sounds. Regardless, you should be able to download preset sounds in any case.

What model you get will depend on budget, but needless to say, the more you spend the more Gucci they get.

Whats your opinion on the two? which would give me a more metal feel and what what be good cost wise as well, I tend to hear rolands charge more for less but is that true?

Whats your opinion on the two? which would give me a more metal feel and what what be good cost wise as well, I tend to hear rolands charge more for less but is that true?

I don't own either, but I've played both. Personally, I'm more familiar with the Roland and the mesh heads on those win it for me. IMHO a "metal feel" comes down to the way you play, not the drums. Both are high quality though and will do the job.

For recording, the Roland TD20 is desgined for it (as is the top of the line Yammie), but you can get great results with the TD12 (even the TD9, but you'll need to makes some upgrades as far as inputs/outputs etc are concerned). The Yammie DTX models get good props here on DW too.

Do a search in this forum on both......there's hours of reading there for you.

Happy hunting.

Actually Yamaha's new TCS (textured cellular silcone) pads are a little quieter than mesh...both kits are good (I've owned both)...but I prefer the sounds on yamaha modules, especially the DTXtreme III/DTX900 module....

Actually Yamaha's new TCS (textured cellular silcone) pads are a little quieter than mesh.

Never heard of them. Thanks for the heads up.....I'm off to the drum store this weekend to check 'em out.

both kits are good (I've owned both)...but I prefer the sounds on yamaha modules, especially the DTXtreme III/DTX900 module....

It seems to be the concensus....no idea why Roland would follow suit and sample a few kits in order to catch up. I've tinkered with the DTXtreme III, but it was at a shop and didn't really explore it's capabilities....guess that may occupy a bit of my time this w/e too. :)

It seems to be the concensus....no idea why Roland would follow suit and sample a few kits in order to catch up. I've tinkered with the DTXtreme III, but it was at a shop and didn't really explore it's capabilities....guess that may occupy a bit of my time this w/e too. :)

One thing to know...Yamaha's learning curve (for module) is a little steeper....but once you get accustomed to it...I actually like its editing menus a little more...just not quite as user friendly as Roland (at least on the basic menus)...another nice thing on the Yamaha is the ability to sample your own sounds as well as import kits that OWD (ocean way drums) and Yamaha europe have created for the module....

Last edited:
One thing to know...Yamaha's learning curve (for module) is a little steeper....but once you get accustomed to it...I actually like it editing menus a little more...just nt quite as user friendly as Roland (at least on the basic menus)...another nice thing on the Yamaha is the ability to sample your own sounds as well as import kits that OWD (ocean way drums) and Yamaha europe have created for the module....

I was looking into the Yamaha DTXtreme III special. You said you like the module on it, how are the custom kits? how much freedom do you have? I know on the roland modules you can change how big each drums and cymbal is and what brand. Is it similar for the yamaha? (looked at many articles and videos and never saw anything about this)

I was looking into the Yamaha DTXtreme III special. You said you like the module on it, how are the custom kits? how much freedom do you have? I know on the roland modules you can change how big each drums and cymbal is and what brand. Is it similar for the yamaha? (looked at many articles and videos and never saw anything about this)

As far as custom kits go...you can make your own user kits (via the editing features built into the module) and then save them to the available 50 user kit slots that are available in the module...also Yamaha europe has released numerous different genre type kits (rock, jazz, elctronic, oak-X, etc...) that can be uploaded to the module via usb...as well as OWD/SSD (ocean way drums/steven slate drums) have both free and purchase kits that are also uploaded via usb (these kits are fairly large in size (70 -128MB ea. kit, compared to normal module kits)....this module has as much (if not more editing capability) than anything currently available...however there is a learning curve associated with it...yamaha does not show screen icons (changing in size/shape like roland), but the module does the same thing via gain, velocity, curve settings...additionally all cymbla samples are real paiste cymbal samples that can be modeled to your tastes thru editing...also you can sample your own sounds if you so desire as well as stack/layer sounds....:)...btw...here's a pic of my current e-kit..

picture.php

Last edited:
Don't get a TD20. Don't get anything by roland.
Do you need to use them live? Or just at home? Do you have a decent (powerful) computer?

I second the DTX3/900. I played both before buying and was in the same situation you are.
The Yamaha's sounds are definitely better than the Roland's. The editing capabilities are more than you will ever need. The downloadable kits are very good, there are something like 40+ kits in all for free. You can also download my kits that I have done. Scorch sent me a few kits and I can load and play his which is pretty cool if you ask me.
As far as price goes, I bought my DTX3 for $2400 a few months ago and there is no way the TD-12/20 is worth the extra $3-4k. You could buy a DTX3 and then later buy all new silicone pads, a few extra cymbals and still come out cheaper. Roland is definitely overpriced....it's just fact.
Music style will not matter either way you go...drums are drums

Do you speak from experience? Do you or have you ever owned a Roland e-kit?

Roland make some things which are reasonably priced, e.g. an SPD-S (if you can pick it up second hand). Their top of the line kits aren't reasonably priced at all.

The TD-20 module is a joke for it's price. Compare the difference in size (data) between a TD-20 kit & a preset on SSD, SD 2.0, BFD 2, etc. It's ridiculous.
Roland should have been doing deals with VST creators so that they could make a good transportable module (1tb+) containing their sounds, which could be upgraded with extra packages in the future. However they failed, and now high end vdrum users are buying (or making) units like the Muse Receptor for live play, or just using their computers for home play.

Thus, the reason I asked about how powerful his computer is (i.e. decent processor, decent amount of ram) is because using one of the above drum software would be infinitely better than any module roland has, and would allow for easy professional sounding recording. The only module I have truly liked is the old ddrum (now discontinued).

Now, if you go down this software route then the TD20 module is a complete waste of money. Why? Because it just acts as a midi transmitter/receiver, you could buy an alesis trigger I/O that does the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost. Absolutely no difference, at all.

Then ask yourself why you're paying so much for their pads? There are custom drum makers that can make you a kit that feels as good (if not better) than a roland kit for at least half the price. I mean you could even build one yourself! (and people do, go and look at the projects on vdrum forums, some great D.I.Y drum makers out there).
To rub salt in the wounds, Roland kits don't even look like "real" drums either! No wonder most people don't take e-kits seriously if they think a Roland TD-20 is the best looking craftsmanship on offer!

That said, the Roland VH-11 is a good hi-hat (the best imo), but there's no reason to buy a kit just to get that hi-hat, buy one off e-bay and save yourself some money. There is one on e-bay now for £200. As for other cymbals buy some Alesis surge, or some harts.

Speak from experience? Yes, the experience of using various rolands (TD3, TD9, new TD9, TD10, TD-20) for hours, practicing over the years - compared with the experience of using my e-kit with software. Experience of owning one? I'm not someone who enjoys spending money for moneys sake, so no.
I do have a TD10-W module though, I got it cheap off eBay.
But don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy, and have no real allegiance to any e-drum company, I just call bullshit when I see it and the TD-20 stinks. Compare them to offerings from jobeky, R.E.T, hart, etc. Then check the prices.

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not angry with you. I'm angry with Roland for making a product that isn't worth the money. I mean the TD3 isn't exactly great bang for the buck either, but at least it's somewhat affordable, and is relatively acceptable for quiet practicing. If used with software it becomes a better option.

As for the Yamaha I haven't tried that first hand (they aren't so popular in the UK), so I don't have any opinion.

/end

Roland make some things which are reasonably priced, e.g. an SPD-S (if you can pick it up second hand). Their top of the line kits aren't reasonably priced at all.

The TD-20 module is a joke for it's price. Compare the difference in size (data) between a TD-20 kit & a preset on SSD, SD 2.0, BFD 2, etc. It's ridiculous.
Roland should have been doing deals with VST creators so that they could make a good transportable module (1tb+) containing their sounds, which could be upgraded with extra packages in the future. However they failed, and now high end vdrum users are buying (or making) units like the Muse Receptor for live play, or just using their computers for home play.

Thus, the reason I asked about how powerful his computer is (i.e. decent processor, decent amount of ram) is because using one of the above drum software would be infinitely better than any module roland has, and would allow for easy professional sounding recording. The only module I have truly liked is the old ddrum (now discontinued).

Now, if you go down this software route then the TD20 module is a complete waste of money. Why? Because it just acts as a midi transmitter/receiver, you could buy an alesis trigger I/O that does the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost. Absolutely no difference, at all.

Then ask yourself why you're paying so much for their pads? There are custom drum makers that can make you a kit that feels as good (if not better) than a roland kit for at least half the price. I mean you could even build one yourself! (and people do, go and look at the projects on vdrum forums, some great D.I.Y drum makers out there).
To rub salt in the wounds, Roland kits don't even look like "real" drums either! No wonder most people don't take e-kits seriously if they think a Roland TD-20 is the best looking craftsmanship on offer!

That said, the Roland VH-11 is a good hi-hat (the best imo), but there's no reason to buy a kit just to get that hi-hat, buy one off e-bay and save yourself some money. There is one on e-bay now for £200. As for other cymbals buy some Alesis surge, or some harts.

Speak from experience? Yes, the experience of using various rolands (TD3, TD9, new TD9, TD10, TD-20) for hours, practicing over the years - compared with the experience of using my e-kit with software. Experience of owning one? I'm not someone who enjoys spending money for moneys sake, so no.
I do have a TD10-W module though, I got it cheap off eBay.
But don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy, and have no real allegiance to any e-drum company, I just call bullshit when I see it and the TD-20 stinks. Compare them to offerings from jobeky, R.E.T, hart, etc. Then check the prices.

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm not angry with you. I'm angry with Roland for making a product that isn't worth the money. I mean the TD3 isn't exactly great bang for the buck either, but at least it's somewhat affordable, and is relatively acceptable for quiet practicing. If used with software it becomes a better option.

As for the Yamaha I haven't tried that first hand (they aren't so popular in the UK), so I don't have any opinion.

/end

So with a budget of 3000 what wouldd you suggest I do?

I have a good computer (built it myself) its enoughto handle pretty much anything.
It has 8gb of ram and a really good proccessor. (cant rememeber which processor I have in specific, im not at home at the moment and cant look at the box but it is good.)

So with a budget of 3000 what wouldd you suggest I do?

I have a good computer (built it myself) its enoughto handle pretty much anything.
It has 8gb of ram and a really good proccessor. (cant rememeber which processor I have in specific, im not at home at the moment and cant look at the box but it is good.)

$3000 or £3000? I'm guessing you're in the US? Computer sounds fine, ram is the biggest issue. Do you have an external hard-drive/another drive in your computer which you can use solely to put samples on? They aren't that expensive so that isn't really a problem.

Let me know if it's £3000 or $3000 and I'll give you a spec/price list of various things you'll need. Btw you say you live in an apartment, is this on the ground floor or above?

$3000 or £3000? I'm guessing you're in the US? Computer sounds fine, ram is the biggest issue. Do you have an external hard-drive/another drive in your computer which you can use solely to put samples on? They aren't that expensive so that isn't really a problem.

Let me know if it's £3000 or $3000 and I'll give you a spec/price list of various things you'll need. Btw you say you live in an apartment, is this on the ground floor or above?

Im in canada so $3000. My apartment is on the ground floor and I have a 1 tb internal drive. But buying another cheap one is no problem.

For 3000 bucks you can get the Roland TD9SX (called the TD9KX in Europe) with all mesh pads. Best value in Roland's range IMO. I have one which I originally got for practice but it's so good I have gigged it too.

I'm no tech-head so I can't build my own set-up from components, but this really was the best drum investment I ever made. I practice soooo much more now.

Lots of very usable sounds, plus you can edit the kits and the individual sounds. they way the sounds are sampled/modeled is very natural: varations in speed, volume, and position on the head all change the sound you hear so it sounds very natural when played.

Feels and sounds closer to a real kit than any other I have tried. Oh, and my neighbours like me more now too :)

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy choosing!

Back