Heads for Legacy Classics?

pmancuso

I am in the process of changing out the Ludwig heads on my new legacies. I put coated ambassadors T&B of my 13 and it sounds airy and boingy. I read somewhere else that someone said these drums don't like double ply and was wondering if anyone who owns them can give me some feedback regarding coated emperor batters or any other combo. I'm also considering Evans 360 G2's over clear G1's.

It depends on what era the Legacies are from. The first incarnation (mid-2007 I believe?) had very shallow edges, and 2-ply heads weren't the best choice on those. But by 2011 or so, they had changed the edge to a friendlier, more desirable 1/8" roundover with a classic, steeper bevel. Those newer edges like just about any head, although I'd avoid extra heavy heads, they'll be a little dull.

I've got Evans Strata 1000 on my Legacy toms, and they speak nicely with a classic '60s vibe. I'd think a coated G2 would make them a little more '70s, which is when the last time that edge was prevalent on Ludwigs (c1969-76.)

Bermuda

Thanks Burmuda, they are brand new and I was also unaware that they had made a bearing edge change (for the better I imagine). The tuning is pretty sensitive. I'll most likey try the G2's.

The edge change was definitely for the better, and reflects Ludwig's classic sound more faithfully.

The 'sharper' the edge, the better it will handle 2-ply and thicker heads. The rounder/flatter the edge, the more it needs a 1-ply, or the drum - toms in particular - loses articulation and sounds woofy.

Bermuda

Back