Sonor or Dualist?

I wanna get a left foot double beater to use like thomas lang, but i dont know which to get. the sonor giant step twin pedal is like 500 more than the dualist. does that mean its really that much better? i dont want to get the gstp and find out the dualist is just as smooth as it and could have goten a 500 dollar less pedal. help please?

Best way to find out is to try and play them both yourself...

Are you near any big drum shops that might have either pedal? I really don't know anything about either, sorry I can't be more help.

I have the sonor and it's a well made product but for I can't say it's worth 500 bucks more than the dualist. If I had to do it over again, I might go for the dualist.

You must remember that the pedals work differently; the Duallist's second beater is controlled with pedal board upstrokes, whereas the Giant Step Twin's beaters can be controlled independently with the two separate sections of the pedal board. What sort of functionality do you need?

Last edited:
so the dualist isnt like the sonor? i thought you could independently control both and the dualist you could just turn a beater off or something. but i was comparing them like the way u would compare normal pedals. like which is smoother? like as if i was comparing dw 9000 to pdps since theres such a big price difference.

No, they don't function the same way. With the dualist, you have no choice, it will always strike once on the downstroke, and once on the upstroke.

I would definitely go for the Sonor. The Dualist is really a one trick pony, and I honestly think it's limiting the drummer, not helping.

No, they don't function the same way. With the dualist, you have no choice, it will always strike once on the downstroke, and once on the upstroke.

I would definitely go for the Sonor. The Dualist is really a one trick pony, and I honestly think it's limiting the drummer, not helping.

wrong,
the duallist can be switched from single to double pedal with a flick of your heel.

That's not true, with the duallist you can turn the dual functionality on and off via a mechanism that you can operate with your heel. Check out some youtube video's.

I am not sure how the Sonor works but to me it seems that the Duallist is more intuitive. I would probably go for the duallist.

The sonor giant step single-double has 2 sections, the foot board operates the right beater and the heel plate operates the left beater, essentially its the ideal pedal for anyone who's good at toe-heel :). the regular giant step pedals and regular double pedals work the same as any other branded pedal, however, the triple pedal is a single-double, plus a slave pedal, for those who cant use toe-heel, but want to build up to it, or those who can use both toe-heel and regular technique.

For more information please visit this website

For pictures of all the Sonor Giant Step line, please visit this website.

I will post a picture of the Sonor Giant Step Single-Double pedal. I call it a single-double, because its essentially a dualist but for people who use toe-heel, but its real name is a twin effect pedal. Hope this explained a few things :).

Attachments

• gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,422
oh by the way, if your not used to toe-heel, i would recommend the dualist :), it is a very smooth nice pedal :)

wrong,
the duallist can be switched from single to double pedal with a flick of your heel.

I stand corrected, I was not aware. Even so though, it looks like an awkward mechanism to turn on and off if you want to play an ostinato of some kind.

I stand corrected, I was not aware. Even so though, it looks like an awkward mechanism to turn on and off if you want to play an ostinato of some kind.

you can see how it works if you look up some videos on the dualist on youtube :). Its alot easier then you think

I have played a Duallilst now for three years and it is very easy to engage and disengage the secondary beater. I can pump out 240 bpm on the bass drum quite easily.

You do need good right foot technique to control it, however, and there is a big step-up in resistance when you engage the secondary beater. The Duallist takes some getting used to but it is a lot of fun to play. For the few times when I need dual-beater capability, it is perfect. You can also create some amazing shuffle patterns and it makes a superb single pedal in single mode.

I've never played the Giant Step but I would like to try it. The Duallist appears to have a much more complex mechanism, I think because you actually disengage the secondary beater. I could be wrong, but it seems like with the Giant Step you have to play heel-up if you want to avoid activing the secondary beater - someone who knows this please explain.

I have played a Duallilst now for three years and it is very easy to engage and disengage the secondary beater. I can pump out 240 bpm on the bass drum quite easily.

The Duallist appears to have a much more complex mechanism, I think because you actually disengage the secondary beater.

Is that 16ths? That's quite impressive!
But to me, the duallist seems more intuitive, even though it's mechanism more complex. Activating that second beater with a flick of the heel sounds very attractive compared to having both beaters armed at the same time. I am thinking about saving up for a duallist and getting rid of my Powershifters since my left foot bass drum technique just won't come along.

Is that 16ths? That's quite impressive!
But to me, the duallist seems more intuitive, even though it's mechanism more complex. Activating that second beater with a flick of the heel sounds very attractive compared to having both beaters armed at the same time. I am thinking about saving up for a duallist and getting rid of my Powershifters since my left foot bass drum technique just won't come along.

The Duallist has some trade-offs. Because one beater charges while the other releases, it is very difficult to do strokes that are based on anything other than LR, although you could do it with enough practice. I think the Giant Step would make it easier to do a variety of beats, but it looks as though the secondary beater is always engaged, which could make it harder.

Back