Just installed my Kelly Shu

S

sticks4drums

Every now and then you buy an add on product for something that just works. It looks good, it installs easily, and makes what you are doing that much easier. This was a joy to put in, and now to use. IMO, the perfect bass drum mic system.

Look at that beautiful walnut. Already for installation.

IMG_3195.jpg

Leather loops are installed under Lug screw.

IMG_3196.jpg

Rubber tube is cut to length with hooks, and installed on Shu. The Sennheiser 902 mic is installed, turned slightly towards where head and shell meet.

IMG_3197.jpg

Used a small piece of pipe that I heated up to put small hole in Reso head. The hot pipe actually cauterizes the hole so it doesn't rip.

IMG_3198.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_3199.jpg

Last edited:
You're a real craftsman, Sticks. I love the attention to detail. Nice!

More sound clips, please!

You're a real craftsman, Sticks. I love the attention to detail. Nice!

More sound clips, please!
Well thanks buddy. :):):) You always make me feel good. I really appreciate you on here.

Hey Sticks - nice setup!

One thing to watch, that I learned from experience. Be careful that the cable does not touch the head. The vibration of the head chews through the cable insulation! I even tried a rubber grommet, and that slowed the wear, but didn't eliminate it. I solved the issue by installing an XLR jack in the shell, but there are less extreme work-arounds.

Other than that, I love the Shu! Works great for a gigging drummer who likes a full reso head.

Hey Sticks - nice setup!

One thing to watch, that I learned from experience. Be careful that the cable does not touch the head. The vibration of the head chews through the cable insulation! I even tried a rubber grommet, and that slowed the wear, but didn't eliminate it. I solved the issue by installing an XLR jack in the shell, but there are less extreme work-arounds.

Other than that, I love the Shu! Works great for a gigging drummer who likes a full reso head.
Thanks for the tip on the insulation wear.

Every now and then you buy an add on product for something that just works. It looks good, it installs easily, and makes what you are doing that much easier. This was a joy to put in, and now to use. IMO, the perfect bass drum mic system.

I agree 100%, very nice install. May I suggest taking just one more small step and installing a MAY AVC XLR addapter. It is the best 50 bucks I've spent on addressing my bass micing issues in addition to the SHU.

Very impressive stuff Sticks, how do you connect/disconnect the mic cable from the microphone?

Hi guys,

I have a Kelly Shu in my bass drum too. It works really well and gives a really wet slap when coupled with my tuning and no damping.
IMG_5334.jpg

You can see it in my bass drum in the next pic. The hole in the front head lets me connect the cable to the mic.
IMG_5343.jpg

I agree 100%, very nice install. May I suggest taking just one more small step and installing a MAY AVC XLR addapter. It is the best 50 bucks I've spent on addressing my bass micing issues in addition to the SHU.
You want me to drill a hole and put a jack in my bass drum! Not on your life. :) Sorry, can't do it. That is one of the great things about Saturn's. They have less than half the shell holes of most of the other brands. :)

Hi guys,

I have a Kelly Shu in my bass drum too. It works really well and gives a really wet slap when coupled with my tuning and no damping.
IMG_5334.jpg

You can see it in my bass drum in the next pic. The hole in the front head lets me connect the cable to the mic.
IMG_5343.jpg
OK. I love that you have Saturn's, but as a union member of 353 of the electrical union I have to object to the way you run your mic cords. What a mess. :) Look at all that lovely walnut.

Very impressive stuff Sticks, how do you connect/disconnect the mic cable from the microphone?
Well I will never move the Monster probably so it is not an issue. On my gigging kit I will have a short cable that hangs out of the small hole, that will plug into a longer cable that runs to the board.

Never saw the inside of Saturn's before. I gotta say, the walnut looks gorgeous. The shell looks to be a medium thickness. Didn't you say Saturn's were thin shelled?
So you're a union sparky eh?

Those enclosed lugs are really cool too... never seen them close up before.

Errr... claws i mean, not lugs.

Never saw the inside of Saturn's before. I gotta say, the walnut looks gorgeous. The shell looks to be a medium thickness. Didn't you say Saturn's were thin shelled?
So you're a union sparky eh?
Hey buddy. The toms are very thin at 5.1mm, and the bass is a little thicker at 7.5. Probably the most beautiful interior shell of any drum I have seen. I am in the Union, but don't believe in Unions. I think they are a big reason we don't have any industry around any more. Sorry for being political. :)

The kick drums are a few mm thicker than the toms and snares. My walnut looks a lot lighter than yours, but it may just be the photo. Or perhaps your kit has this mystery interior coating that I've heard rumours of.
I have sent back shells that were light and chalky in appearance. They are out there. There should be no coating on the inside. If you do your own you void the shell warranty. I have heard the same rumour, but I think it is the difference between dark walnut, and light walnut. The dark really looks like they oiled it. They didn't. :)

Those enclosed lugs are really cool too... never seen them close up before.

Errr... claws i mean, not lugs.
That was a feature I loved when I first saw the Saturn's. Nice and clean looking die cast enclosed claws, without any big t handles. They do an amazing job on there chrome buffing as well. Also notice that all the lugs are single screw attachment, and the spurs and mounts don't attach to the shells with extra holes. I believe less holes is more sound. :)

On paper, the less holes thing makes sense, but really...it's inconsequential. Your shell has a bunch of holes in it already. I never understood the virgin kick thing either. Your shell has holes for lugs and feet so it's not virgin anyway. Besides, there's no sonic difference. You won't install an XLR jack in your shell because you'd have to drill it. Do you really think it's going to affect the sound? Because it won't. I understand not wanting to alter things, but I get the feeling that you think it would mess your sound up, which is a crock.

On paper, the less holes thing makes sense, but really...it's inconsequential. Your shell has a bunch of holes in it already. I never understood the virgin kick thing either. Your shell has holes for lugs and feet so it's not virgin anyway. Besides, there's no sonic difference. You won't install an XLR jack in your shell because you'd have to drill it. Do you really think it's going to affect the sound? Because it won't. I understand not wanting to alter things, but I get the feeling that you think it would mess your sound up, which is a crock.
Larry, buddy. Don't you start getting on me also. :0 It has to make some difference in sound, if only to make me feel better about not having more holes in my drums. The fact that the mounts are not touching the shells on the bass and toms has to help with resonance. They use the same amount of area already taken up by the lugs. Give me a fricken bone will you. :)

Back