Yamaha Stage Custom - skin recommendations?

darnb

hi there, im new in drums, i was a keyboard player, now stared perform in a jazz band fro about 1 month,...i have a stage custom drum, its a good one, but need to replace the skin. ive change only with the snare and it change the sounds, better!

hi there, im new in drums, i was a keyboard player, now stared perform in a jazz band fro about 1 month,...i have a stage custom drum, its a good one, but need to replace the skin. ive change only with the snare and it change the sounds, better!

This question gets asked all the time, in fact already once this week.

Most of us agree an Emperor or G2 batter over an Ambassador or G1 resonant head sounds great on nearly any drum; I can attest how good they sound on Stage Customs. For the kick, try a PS3, EQ3, EMAD, or SuperKick.

If you're playing jazz, and want a 'typical' jazz sound, you'll want to tension the heads tighter then you would for a rock or pop sound. I suggest single ply heads, like Remo Clear or Coated Ambassador, top and bottom.

It really depends on the sound you want. Single ply heads for something brighter and jazzy, or thick double ply for a deeper tone.

I used toured with a Stage Custom in a Blues band and used Aquarian Force 10's. A super thick double ply coated head. The toms sounded super huge and deep, perfect for Blues.

Super Kick bass drum heads too!

I'm also new to this drumming melarcy and have been playing a Yamaha DTXpress II for the last 3 years, upgrading the electronic cymbols and using a proper Hi-Hat stand.
Yesterday I took the plunge and purchased a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau kit and love the acoustic set but intrigued to see the recommendations for G2 batters and G1 reso heads.

As the Yamaha kit is supplied with the Yamaha REMO single ply heads, is it worth just changing the Batters for a set of say Evans G2 heads and stay with the Yamaha single ply REMO reso heads, to get a more punchy sound for Rock?

Julian

I'm also new to this drumming melarcy and have been playing a Yamaha DTXpress II for the last 3 years, upgrading the electronic cymbols and using a proper Hi-Hat stand.
Yesterday I took the plunge and purchased a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau kit and love the acoustic set but intrigued to see the recommendations for G2 batters and G1 reso heads.

As the Yamaha kit is supplied with the Yamaha REMO single ply heads, is it worth just changing the Batters for a set of say Evans G2 heads and stay with the Yamaha single ply REMO reso heads, to get a more punchy sound for Rock?

Julian

You'll be fine for a while, but eventually (like after a year or so) change them out too.

Back