Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
This video was pretty disturbing back in the 80's. Family Guy brought new life to it. I think Peter Griffin hit the nail on the head. It's no wonder I stayed away from bands like the Stones and Bowie when I was a teenager back in the 80's. This is the Mick Jagger and David Bowie I was exposed to. It wasn't until the late 90's until I understood what their music was all about. Nowadays Bowie is one of my all-time favorites, as well as the Stones.

Disturbing? I always thought it was a fun video and a great track as well.

Bermuda

Yea agree, disturbing. Diluting a great classic with massive egos, JMO.

Great dancing?? No not exactly, they look like to spastic clowns. I'm sure Tina Turner laughs her ass off everytime she sees these folks try to dance on stage. She supposedly helped shake shy Mick out of his boy/girlhood and become the lightfooted phenome!!
Obviously both of these "guys" are "great" or they wouldn't be millionaires, right? mnnnnn No!! Both have tremendous vocal range, right? mnnnnnnn No! Both handsome and manly to a fault, right? mnnnnnnnn No!
Do I enjoy Daniel Bowie and his music? No!
Do I enjoy Mick Jagger and his music? No!
I do like early Rolling Stones, tunes like Midnight Rambler, Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and a few more.........
I don't care for most British front men/singers they all put on a very gay/homosexual act that in my younger years was a huge distraction from the music and vaulted these groups into the "Act" catagory. If these groups were new bands starting out today their perception would be different. I wasn't raised as a hater but I have more preferences just as everyone else does so in the music business I always question why theatre is used in a rock n roll band. I'm from an era were that type of "gimmick" was used to hide weaknesses also I knew I had to see and hear these groups live because the studio can lie. Saw the Stones 3 times all 3 they were terrible, they sounded like garage bands and other than jagger working hard to put on a show they are ALL ordinary talents at best. I never saw Bowie, purposely, his demeanor has nothing to do with me. Yes you can throw in R. Plant from the Zep. boys too, that fellow in his youthfull years was just creepy hahaha!!! yes I said creepy!!! Doc

I guess I just take things at face value: I like something, or I don't. There's no need to have to dig deep or insist there be certain values, a song/video either works for me, or it doesn't. A certain amount of music just isn't accessible without having to dissect it or search for some sort of value, and that's not how or why I listen to music.

That's why I'm able to enjoy the Monkees as much as Weather Report, Abba as much as Zappa, Ringo as much as Bozzio. Something either appeals to me, or it doesn't - no special criteria required.

Bermuda

Your such a sweet fellow for not "reaching" or "dig deep" maybe its just called "explaining why"! I don't have to politically correct or pull any punches because I don't put pop/rock performers on throwns like the kids do, even when I was a kid. I think if you like or dislike its ok to explain why because it lends to discussion on a forum which is were we are. Doc

The way Mick moves always made me cringe. He's just too fuity. For a song about dancing in the streets, where is everybody? This is a major party song. Two people do not a party make. It just doesn't work on any level for me, except perhaps the music track, which I can't disparage. I can't say I disliked the way they sang it either, just the visuals make me want to hurl. If I was asked to approve this for release, I would seriously laugh in their faces, like "Are you serious?". You can do better than that. You forgot the party.

Hate to tell you this..............................................they had the party!!! Fruity? Yes!
Doc.

I like it and their voices sound good together.
Imho I think it sounds better than VH's version.
2 greats together.

Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

The album's first single release, "Rock Me Tonite" was Billy Squier's biggest Pop hit. It reached #15 on Billboard's Hot 100, as well as #1 on the Album Rock Tracks chart in late 1984. However, the video for the track (directed by Kenny Ortega), which shows Squier dancing around a bedroom in a pink tank top, was named by Video GaGa as one of "The worst videos of all time". On the VH1 show Ultimate Albums (Def Leppard's "Pyromania" episode), Squier blamed the end of his career as a chart-topping rocker on the release of the "Rock Me Tonite" video.

Your such a sweet fellow for not "reaching" or "dig deep" maybe its just called "explaining why"!

I'm just saying that it's not necessary for me to find 'something' in order to like a song. I don't need to analyze or qualify a work in order to like (or dislike) it. If I like something, I accept it without question. If I don't, I don't dig deeper in order to force myself to accept it. Things are very face value with me, a deeper knowledge of it won't change how I feel one way or the other. I just don't have the time or patience to be educated as to why something as subjective as music is either good, or bad. It is what it is.

Bermuda

I see I knew shallow people in the past, I understand. So listening to a nice rhythm guitar that most anyone could play would get a positive but not amazed comment from you?? Yet if you did look "deeper" to find the chords were barred and the strumming was both accomplished by using feet that would still keep the ordinary rhythm just that, ordinary?
Yeah screw looking deeper to much effort! Doc

The way Mick moves always made me cringe. He's just too fuity. For a song about dancing in the streets, where is everybody? This is a major party song. Two people do not a party make. It just doesn't work on any level for me, except perhaps the music track, which I can't disparage. I can't say I disliked the way they sang it either, just the visuals make me want to hurl. If I was asked to approve this for release, I would seriously laugh in their faces, like "Are you serious?". You can do better than that. You forgot the party.

I think Larry nails it.

For two legendary singers, it's just a disaster.

Disturbing? I always thought it was a fun video and a great track as well.

I just laugh at the video now, but, yeah the track is pretty good actually.

I do like early Rolling Stones, tunes like Midnight Rambler, Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and a few more.........
I don't care for most British front men/singers they all put on a very gay/homosexual act that in my younger years was a huge distraction from the music and vaulted these groups into the "Act" catagory.

I think that honor belongs to Elvis, he just wore nicer clothes. I like the cover of Route 66 that the Stones did.

I couldn't agree more. Besides the party, the only other thing missing was Billy Squier dancing there with them.

I prefer the Van Halen version of "Dancing In The Street" out of the "Diverdown" album and the Karen Carpenter version as well!!!

Van Halen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dhrFDva6E

Karen Carpenter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAy6Ab3CcQ&feature=related

Bowie & Jagger are way too...........softy for my bitter taste!

Yeah, I'm kinda biased to the VH version, but my hippy parents were always playing the Mamas and the Papas.

Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

Classic. We have to contact the producers of Family Guy. Ha!

Too funny, he's like a male "Elaine". That's just tragic.

Some people just shouldn't expose their dancing to the masses lol. Me included for sure lol.

Elaine! That's the truth. He would give her a run for her money. That was a great Seinfeld.

Obviously both of these "guys" are "great" or they wouldn't be millionaires, right? mnnnnn No!! Both have tremendous vocal range, right? mnnnnnnn No! Both handsome and manly to a fault, right? mnnnnnnnn No!
Do I enjoy Daniel Bowie and his music? No!
Do I enjoy Mick Jagger and his music? No!

Both were able to write a hell of a song though. "Great"? In a songwriting sense.....damned straight they have the ability to be great. You not liking them is perfectly acceptable to me......but it doesn't change the fact that both have written great music.

I like something, or I don't. There's no need to have to dig deep or insist there be certain values, a song/video either works for me, or it doesn't.

+1. If it moves me, it gets a hearing.......if it doesn't, I'll leave it by the wayside. I don't wanna have to over analyse why I don't like something when there's so much I do like. I'd rather focus on that.

Two people do not a party make. .

Oh yes they can old mate....get your raggedy backside down to Oz and I'll show you how. :)

I see I knew shallow people in the past,

Come on mate. He doesn't agree with you so now he's shallow? Turn it up.

Your ability to see things from someone else's perspective is severly lacking itself, Doc. Half of what you post is living testimony to this. But as much as I find your rhetorical rants amusing.......if you're gonna stand in that glass house......it pays not to throw stones.

FWIW, I was never much of a fan of this track....but I think both artists have certainly done "great" things.

Last edited:
This video was pretty disturbing back in the 80's. Family Guy brought new life to it. I think Peter Griffin hit the nail on the head. It's no wonder I stayed away from bands like the Stones and Bowie when I was a teenager back in the 80's. This is the Mick Jagger and David Bowie I was exposed to. It wasn't until the late 90's until I understood what their music was all about. Nowadays Bowie is one of my all-time favorites, as well as the Stones.

When I saw this post title, I thought of that Family Guy episode and starting laughing. That was a hysterical clip. And the show let the entire video run. Thanks for posting.

Damn fellas relax I'm just foolin around, its like when I say something everyone gets their panties all twisted hahaha!!! I don't think their great song writers sorry, The Gershwin Bros were great song writers, Duke Ellington was a great writer, Johnny Mercer was a a great writer. They wrote classic tunes with rhythms, beats, melodies and releases that were arrainged to perfection. If you think that some clown in make up is a great performer and song writer its ok but theres so much more adult music out here that you haven't even heard of let alone listened too. I understand their popularity in the rock n roll world but is this just a rock drummers forum? I'm beginning to think it is because the word great is constantly used to describe some single stroked meth moron who destroys equipment with better timing than he keeps, yet hes great. When you hear Daniel Bowies tunes in comparison to Marvin Gayes or Stevie Wonders or Bill (Smoky) Robinsons you gotta be kidding me right? Whatever! NEXT!! Doc

Back