Suggestions on a career path?

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I see the forum is still filled with many supportive and active members. I'm currently a college freshman, and I'm realizing how (at my school at least) quickly one is expected to make a decision about degree and career paths. So I just thought I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions for things to look into as I post general characteristics of a career.

So, as for those general characteristics:

- working with people (team-based)
- working on projects, keeping things fresh
- tangible results
- possibility of travel (but not something entirely travel-based, preferably)
- capacity for growth as I learn more about the trade
- preferably something in which I can help others (although I may be able to fulfill that desire outside the workplace)
- something that gives me some unique stories/experiences

Does that spark anything for anyone? Sorry to just throw this out there, I'm definitely turned around by all of this.

Thanks,
Christian

Medical, or computers. That is where the money is and will be. People will always need help in the healing and helping the ill. A lot of that is now done with computers.
Either way these two fields will always need help. I work at a hospital and see it every day.

+1 Gruntersdad

I work in a hospital too. But in general, I'd say if you're handy with computers at all, go in to IT (Information Technology). That's where my long, twisty road through college put me. It's not a specific field either. I've done everything from replace hardware in people's homes ("You're welcome ma'am!"), VoIP, video conferencing, cabling, networking, AUDIO, web-development.....if it has lights and buttons, IT has something to do with it.

I've been in the IT game for just under a decade, and I can say everything on your list is checked off. I help people every day, work with a team, I used to travel a lot, and the field is changing all the time.

Let me add some things you HAVE to be that you didn't mention in your list.

1. Self motivated. Doing your job is not doing your job. Doing your job and finding better ways to do your job on your own is a survival skill.
2. Creativity. You probably have this being a musician, but there's always things where you don't have anyone to ask how to do it. You have to find a way.
3. Resourceful. You can't tap your elders shoulder everytime you don't know what to do. You have to be able to get out there and find your own answers.
4. Communication. You have to be able to do things like take a technical problem and explain it convincingly to non-technical people holding the checkbook.
5. Determination. This is not an easy field to survive in, but I've seen the down-in-the-trenches people outlast the brianiacs. It takes being ready to fight smart every single day. It's a very what-have-you-done-for-me-lately gig. You're awesome save last week doesn't mean anything today.

Give it a look. Feel free to message me if you have questions. Even if it isn't with my group, I'm always ready to help someone else help me out. It's not like I didn't have some old pros help bring me in too.

I'll add engineering to the list. Pretty much the only field I've worked in since dropping out of high school and later after I got my degree in electrical engineering (at the tender age of 35). It really ticks all the boxes you've got listed.

Back