Do I need a special low snare stand?

JimmyTheMonkey

So I currently have a 5.5x14" snare. I expect to upgrade to a 6.5x14 in the next year. I need a snare stand. Do I need a special snare stand to accommodate a 6.5"? I take it that this size is not that uncommon. I don't want to buy something now that wont last forever.

Any recommendations? I would love to spend around $50-75.

Just FYI, I am 6'0" and like to sit on the lower end of things. I hit my drums pretty hard. I use a single bass pedal and don't plan on ever going to double bass.

Thanks. As always, this is my best forum I have seen on the internet in terms of helpful community members.

For 6.5" deep snares any regular stand should be able to go low enough. When I use a 6.5", I just spread the legs farther to get it lower. I am just under 6" and I sit very low and like my snare flat. If you want a low stand for the future in case you want a deeper snare, check out the Ludwig LM922SSL. It goes very low. I have one of those as well.

Just work a little math. You're gonna be going from 5.5 to 6.5, right? 1" deeper. Can your current snare stand drop another inch, or is it already bottomed out? If it still has another inch of travel to go, then your gold. If not, time to go shopping.​

Last edited:
Thanks. I actually don't have a snare stand (it's a long story).

Now that I know most stands will fit, I will take the advice of other threads on this forum and go with a Yamaha 700 unless anyone can tell me that is not deep enough

Thanks everyone!

Thanks. I actually don't have a snare stand (it's a long story).

Now that I know most stands will fit, I will take the advice of other threads on this forum and go with a Yamaha 700 unless anyone can tell me that is not deep enough

Thanks everyone!
I'm 6' tall, & use Yamaha hardware. Sometimes with a 6.5" deep snare, & no issues. Yamaha hardware is never a bad choice.

Just FYI, I am 6'0" and like to sit on the lower end of things. I hit my drums pretty hard. I use a single bass pedal and don't plan on ever going to double bass.

Just make sure that your thighs are at least parallel to the ground, if not sloped slightly downward towards the drums. You'll develop some nasty long-term injuries if you don't.

I'm 6'2", and I like to sit low as well. I only need a "special" stand if I'm using an 8" or deeper snare. You should be fine with a Yamaha 600 or 700 stand.

I have this problem. I got a 6.5" deep snare recently and neither of my stands goes low enough (just barely), I'm hitting rim shots on it accidentally pretty often, I'm just trying to adjust for now, but a lower snare stand would be nice.

The other thing is that it's slightly more of a pain to have my snare stand legs spread out farther to get the stand lower. I need to spend extra positioning it perfectly.

I'm 5'11'' and sit with my legs parallel to the ground, you'll probably be fine though.

Back