Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy

oh my god, so insane, he is a real monster, now I want to hear some people say joey jordison is the best metal drummer hehe

I think Roddy is amazing........nuff said.

I found that fast doubles really opened up my grip with my left hand, got it up to 260 after a few months.... I can get through Behold Judas now : )

This guy is absolutely sick, and I"m not even into this type of music. How does one get their feet so fast. His feet are faster than my hands!

What are blast beats, or blasts as you called them? I am not familiar with this term. I'm guessing short periods of intense speed.

It's a roll between your snare and your bass pedal. With your cymbal hand fill in on the bass notes.

yes the "blast beat" or simply "blast" is something typical for fast death-or black metal.
there are many variations of it but it is mainly like lambo said, the bass drum is played half speed of your hands, your left hand is playing on the snare and your right hand usually on the ride cymbal.(usually hand to hand)
but what do you exactly mean by doubles? i am training my left hand at the moment mainly with multiple bounce rolls with metronome ,of course, by slowly increasing the speed.

Doubles = RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL.... not bouncing and making each a full stroke.

Roddy looks like he's fast forward for crying out loud lol

Did he work out of Stick Control? Who did he study with? Using Futz?

MaxRoach said:
is this guy doing RRLL withi his feet or RLRL?
RLRL.

JohnMunsey said:
Roddy looks like he's fast forward for crying out loud lol

Did he work out of Stick Control? Who did he study with? Using Futz?

As far as I know, He's pretty much self-taught. He's not using Futz, just straight forward single stroke rolls on Axis A pedals.

Here is an interview with him > http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=4&id=4519

I met Derrick Roddy working in a local drum shop about 6 months ago. I think he just happened to be in town and was helping out the owner, a friend of his. He's from South Carolina, originally. We talked a while. I played some for him. (Yawn!). He played some of his stuff for me. OMG! HOLY FREAKIN' COW. This guy is so much better than that crap music/band he plays with. In addition to MONSTER chops, he's got the most incredible independence I've EVER seen. Multiple polyrythms between hands and feet. I never understood why any drummer needed 5 pedals on each side of the snare . . . until I saw him show me what to do with them.

In addition to that, he absolutely kills rock, funk, jazz, latin, anything. Put this guy in with an acoustic jazz trio, no problem. Latin/Funk, piece of cake. He does it all.

Last edited:
Re: Derek Roddy playing some killer grooves!

Yeah Roddy is a total speed demon...What a humble guy too...He is always stopping by the donati message boards, answering any questions some may have...While I'm not so into the blast beat, 250 BPM 16ths, i can appreciate what they man is doing for the speed metal sceen...Hats off to Derek...

toteman2 said:
While I'm not so into the blast beat, 250 BPM 16ths, i can appreciate what they man is doing for the speed metal sceen...Hats off to Derek...

BIG FAT QUESTIONMARK you are doing blasts at 250?? hand to hand? and for how long?
this speed is terribly sick man , it`s almost roddy speed. do you just want to show off by being so humble because I am almost sure you know how fast this is. and in addition to that you are even saying you are not so into the blast beat...ridiculous

Elemental Nausea said:
BIG FAT QUESTIONMARK you are doing blasts at 250?? hand to hand? and for how long?
this speed is terribly sick man , it`s almost roddy speed. do you just want to show off by being so humble because I am almost sure you know how fast this is. and in addition to that you are even saying you are not so into the blast beat...ridiculous
Dude, calm down. He was paying a compliment even though he's not into that style of music. What more could you ask?

yeah, I thought i was showing total respect to Derek...

Back