Alesis DM10X Questions

Hi All,
I am an acoustic kit player looking to use an electronic kit to practise and am interested in the DM10X from Alesis as it has "real feel" heads (Mylar). I wondered if they really do feel like an acoustic kit and also, how loud are they to neighbours etc when i have headphones on?
Are they 50% of an acoustic kit volume or less?
Any feedback would be great.

Yes they are less than 50% of an acoustic volume hit.No they do not feel the same as an acoustic drum,but they are close.There simply is no way around the fact that all these have that solid feel in one way or another,be it plastic,mylar or mesh.Just dont hit it as hard,you can tweak sensitivity for that.You will anyway if neighbors are a concern.
Youre biggest issue will be the kick noise.That mylar will give a good whack when kicked.Personally I have never been concerned with it,but I can see where it would be an issue.I have heard of people making risers out of plywood and tennis balls to trap vibration from neighbors below.Otherwise there are many types of soft beaters for a slighter hit.
Maybe not the perfect kit if you have whiny neighbors,but if they are fairly cool,and you keep it within a reasonable hour,should be ok.

I have the DM10 Studio kit. while it's true that e-kits can't be bashed on like an acoustic, with the headphones on and the volume mixer, you won't need to. You will spend time tweaking the settings for crosstalk, sensitivity, threshold, etc., as well as making your own kits, they are a very fun and cool alternative to an acoustic kit and they are very easy to record with. As far as pad noise, the mylars are fairly loud- enough to be annoying. I live in an upstairs apt with a business below me, and I've been shut down already. Too much for them to handle I guess, so that sucks. Not sure if I would gain anything switching to mesh or not, which lots of people have done. Check www.dmdrummer.com to get a real feel for this system. Very informative board.

Back