Head suggestions for a new Gretsch Catalina Ash

szokematyi

Hi! I bought a Gretsch Catalina Ash, but I've heard that I shouldn't use powerstroke3 head on it's snaredrum, 'coz it's made of wood, and the two of them are not too good together.

Does anyone have any suggestions what kind of drumheads are the best for it? (for the snare and for the bassdrum)

Thanks in advance!
szokematyi

All right, if I had a dollar for every time I heard something so, ridiculous... Well, let's just say that I'd own my dream set by now.

To answer you... No! There is no reason why a Powerstroke-3 would not be compatible with a WOODEN SNARE.

Remo heads are inspired out of the roots of traditional drumming. Whoever wronged you about buying a powerstroke for your snare,obviously does not know enough about drumming to know that the first Remo heads were MADE to go on wooden sets... Sort of like, oh I don't know... TODAY.

By now you're probably thinking: "Gee Swiss, can't you back your argument up with something better?"
To this, I say- YES! I myself own a Gretsch Catalina (Maple) Ive had just about any and every type of head go on my 5.5" x 14" snare, from Evan's HD Dry to Remo's Emperor Coated-X.
Believe you me, as long as you have a good sense of direction as to what kind of sound you're looking for your set, you can use WHATEVER head you think would satisfy that preference.

Best of luck, and happy drumming!

- Juan

Steve Gadd aside, I have never heard a PS3 sound good on a snare of any shell material. It certainly won't hurt the drum though

I would recommend the ps3 for the bass drum, and there is no reson you can't use a ps3 on a wood snare, it isn't the sound I am going for, I would recommend using a coated ambassador.

I think that the guy who told you that was just thinking that it would sound to dry, I think that he probably was thinking about the fact that they calm down metal snares a lot, but I'm sure it would sound okay, probably just like a clear or coated ambassador with a ring would be my guess.

Back