Dipped sticks

Kopi

I like to play dipped sticks, Zildjian 5A/5B dipped seem to be my favourite because I haven't found to many other brands of dipped stick. Do you guys know of any I could keep an eye out for?

Also, how many of you play with rubber dipped/coated sticks? I've noticed that there aren't a lot of people out there that do.

They're all I buy now. I still drop from time to time, but it's definitely less since using these. I also notice that my grip doesn't have to be as tight to still keep hold of the sticks. Cramping in my right hand is reduced when using these, too.

The only thing that gets a little annoying is that, if/when any part of the rubber starts to wear or is torn, that section of the stick starts to irritate my hand and it makes me want to throw the stick away. The rest of the stick could be perfectly usable, but the rough edge of the tear/wear gets to me over time.

I like to play dipped sticks, Zildjian 5A/5B dipped seem to be my favourite because I haven't found to many other brands of dipped stick. Do you guys know of any I could keep an eye out for?

Also, how many of you play with rubber dipped/coated sticks? I've noticed that there aren't a lot of people out there that do.
Some of my sticks look like I must have dipped them in chocolate and then got hungry.

They're all I buy now. ...... I also notice that my grip doesn't have to be as tight to still keep hold of the sticks. .....

I use stick wrap (which is very close to the dipped feel except you have spiral grooves on which your finger tips can fall into) and the wrap can be replaced when worn out.

I agree with above, you can relax your grip more and increase your speed without exposing yourself to more dropped sticks. I have cut my dropped sticks down to about 1 every 6 to 9 months now.

For just a few bucks on wrap or a set of coated sticks could open up a new world of comfort and speed. Besides >>> if you do not like them, you did not spend much to find out!

If you search the site you will find a thread on where I made my own using Plasti-Dip. A product available at hardware stores. Dip the sticks and let them drip and dry over night. Works great. It will outlive the sticks

I only use the Zildjian dipped sticks during warm weather outdoor gigs when wet hands are a problem.
They work great.
I don't like to use them all of the time.
I like the stick to slide around in my fingers a bit when I play.

I have tired the DIY plasti dip method but it always seems to rub off before long. Maybe sanding the stick would help the coating adhere better.

I have had great luck with peeling off the rubber ring pad found on some retractable pens that are a bit fatter than standard ink pens. You can roll this ring onto a stick and leave it at the appropriate point. The rubber is soft and grabs well and if the stick breaks, you can roll the rubber ring off and slip it on another stick.

Any time you're having trouble with stick grip (we've all been down that road), try out some grip tape. It can do nothing but help you. Give it a shot.

I've tried various types of wraps and dipped sticks but never liked the feel of them.

When I want extra grip on my sticks, I'll use Gorilla Snot. It's basically a pine tar like substance. One little can of it has lasted me a couple years so far.

This is what I use. If you do get a chunk missing it is definately annoying but overall I love them. I use the 7ANVG
1126458_14297_popup.jpg

Yeah, I completely swear by the Vic Grip too; my stick of choice is the Vic Firth 5B Wood Tip Vic Grip. After some initial adjustment (ie blisters), they now allow me to really relax my grip and still grip the stick comfortably.

5BVG.jpg

I'm an all-out Pro Mark fan and I tried their Pro Grip 5A (the guy at the drum shop threw them in for free because it was my birthday!) and they caused a lot of friction and stick burn on my hand. However, after a few weeks of "grinning and bearing it", the coating wasn't as "catchy" and the sticks were grippy AND they didn't cause friction.

I like them a lot. I'd recommend them if you can get past the initial "stick burn" stage (which I'm sure not everyone would experience).

I use normal 5A sticks with stick wax. (Mr Zog's Sex Wax! Like the surfers use on their boards, but now made for drumsticks). Just rub a bit on the gripping area before the gig. Works really well IMO.

I'm constantly trying out new grip methods, because I tend not to drop sticks, but to overgrip sticks. This leads to hand fatigue and I end up clutching the stick like a knife, rather than holding it properly.

I tried the dip sticks, but the pair I tried (Zildjian 5Bs) gave me horrible blisters when the dip separated from the stick and started rubbing back and forth.

I love the Pro-Mark Pro Grips, but they are expensive and hard to find. I didn't have any break-in period like the other poster did, and I never experienced any problems with overgrip or dropping the stick.

I'm trying Ahead grip tape now, and it's decent, but I don't particularly like the bumpy feel on the butts of my sticks.

I just ordered a can of Groove Juice's new spray-on drum gripper. They claim it makes the stick slightly tacky but does not stick to your hands. I'll be a/b comparing that against a new pair of Pro Grip sticks. I'm hoping it does pretty much the same thing, so that I can walk into my local shop and buy 5Bs, instead of sending away to Cascio Interstate every time I need sticks. I'll keep you guys posted.

I use normal 5A sticks with stick wax. (Mr Zog's Sex Wax! Like the surfers use on their boards, but now made for drumsticks). Just rub a bit on the gripping area before the gig. Works really well IMO.

The problem with using that kind of thing is it eventually winds up on your drum heads and cymbals. It's not a biggie as heads are changed and cymbals cleaned, but I use non-adhesive solutions to avoid getting gunk on the kit.

I've been using the Vic firth Dipped Rock sticks and I enjoy them. Only thing I've noticed is that with this size in particular, the dipped version seems to be noticeably lighter than the standard version. Maybe the ones I got are just from a weird batch though...

-Jonathan

Back