World Hunger and the 40 Hour Famine

gusty

Platinum Member
In Australia, the 40 Hour Famine started about 6 minutes ago. For me, no food and as little water as possible over the next 40 hours (hopefully none).

I feel pretty strongly about world issues such as poverty and hunger, to the point where I think about it pretty much all day. Personally, I think the western/developed world has had it way too good for the past century or so (maybe not as long for black/indigenous people or women), and for the world to go forward, our lifestyle has to go backwards. All the time I think, why do we have so much money and food (among many other things), when so many people are suffering right now. Over one billion people are under the poverty line, living on under US$1 a day. It makes me sad and frustrated when I see people with cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and houses worth millions. Don't these people care?

What do you think about these issues, and what are you doing to help out? I know things like the global financial crisis has made it harder for those in a lot of developed nations, but remember, it has hit the developing and under-developed world much harder.

Gusty, this morning as I walked from the station to the office I passed a bundle of blankets curled up by the wall, inside that bundle was a lost soul. Probably someone with mental illness. Probably someone who has been picked up but has fallen back down again many times. Not everyone turns out well.

I don't think globally. There are too many powerful and unsavoury forces conspiring to make people suffer. It's all too big. All you get from the top of the tree are manipulations and distortions - be it from politicians, the business leaders who pull their strings, the media, religious leaders, etc. In pretty well all societies, too.

What do I do? I give a little charity with each pay, do a little online community work, help out family & friends, and consume resources moderately - my main indulgence being bad drum-related purchases :)

Good luck with the 40-hour famine. It can't be much fun. I was on fluids only for two days before having an old-person-medical-test earlier this year - bleagh

This is a heart-touched issue. It's a pity to say, but we have turned ourselves onto a savage consumer society while other people are needing to be helped. What do I do, I help with food and clothing the home-less and the poor.

I feel pretty strongly about world issues such as poverty and hunger, to the point where I think about it pretty much all day.
Well, I was 17 once, and that was 36 years ago, and things haven't changed all that much. The third world is still ... the third world. And all the billions of dollars we've spent on "saving" the third world ... it's like shovelling sand against the ocean ... the end results ... over time ... is pretty much nil.​
Personally, I think the western/developed world has had it way too good for the past century or so (maybe not as long for black/indigenous people or women), and for the world to go forward, our lifestyle has to go backwards.
Which is why we're faced "right now" with a global economic depression.​
All the time I think, why do we have so much money and food (among many other things), when so many people are suffering right now.
For one thing, food is power. In a lot of countries, hunger and famine are used as weapons. One side need not use guns to kill the other side, they merely starve them to death. Control the food, and you control who lives, and who dies.​
Over one billion people are under the poverty line, living on under US$1 a day.
Well, I live under the poverty line. Last year, I made $9K .... when the average US (family) income is $50K. Being a cripple ... great hours ... but not real good pay.​
It makes me sad and frustrated when I see people with cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and houses worth millions.
For a lot of those people, however, money won't buy them happiness. And they won't even be able to rent it.​
Don't these people care?
Quite frankly, a whole lot of them don't.​

What do you think about these issues, and what are you doing to help out?
Well, one of the best calls I ever made (back around 1974, when I was 17), was I made up my mind to never have kids. I saw where the world was headed (which is right where we are today), and I made a choice to not pass it on (to anyone I'm related to, anyways). What other people do, is what other people do. Out of my control. Most everything is.​
I know things like the global financial crisis has made it harder for those in a lot of developed nations, but remember, it has hit the developing and under-developed world much harder.
And so now, we see a big power shift happenning. China, for the first time ever, bought more cars than the US. They "are" the next big consumer nation. India hot on their heels. With over a billion in population each, more power to them. The next 10, 20, 30 years ... are going to be interesting.​

I think that starving oneself for forty hours will in no way help others starve less.
Definitely agree with that. If I were motivated enough by world hunger, I'd instead spend 40 hours trying to directly or indirectly feed people who need food.

Definitely agree with that. If I were motivated enough by world hunger, I'd instead spend 40 hours trying to directly or indirectly feed people who need food.

+1, or spend 40 hours making money to buy them food.

Fiery, Brew, and GD, you're just making yourselves look ignorant. Starving myself for 40 hours (which is actually not starving, and its only 40 hours!) means that World Vision gets the (so far) $110 dollars that I've raised (which they wouldn't have had otherwise). Later today, I'm going to go door knocking to get however much more money that I can.

So yes, doing the 40 hour famine will help others starve less (Fiery), I will be indirectly feeding people (Brew) and I'll also be making more money to buy them food (GD).

Fiery, Brew & GD, people raise money for the famine through sponsorship.

Also, empathy is a powerful thing ... you find that when a high flier recovers from cancer or heart disease, afterwards you see donations to those things.

40 hours is only enough gives you a taste [sic] of it but thumbs up to anyone who does it.

Edit: Sorry Gusty, posted at the same time

its not about starving themselves its about raising awareness you idiots - gusty's bro

Yes, it's not about staring yourself but that's bad tactics, Gusty's bro. Start a fight and the thread gets shut down. Hardly a good way to raise awareness, hmm?

Insulting people is a good way to turn apathy into active dislike. You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar ...

The 40 Hour Famine is an Oz and Kiwi based charity event. Other countries do 30 hours (US and Canada) or 24 hours (UK): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Vision_Famine_events

On an international forum it's best to ensure that those who are unfamiliar with the event are on the same page. Instead of calling guys "ignorant" for not knowing about an Australian based charity (why should they, they don't live here and an event such as this is highly unlikely to gain any international press), it's probably better to inform and educate them of the details so that they understand exactly what it is you're setting out to achieve.

Gusty's bro, you may not be familiar with the structure of this forum, but as stated above it's better to educate than insult. Poll's dead right, "You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar". :)

Me? I give to three charities each year Gusty, World Vision is not one of them.....then again, a hell of a lot of others miss out as well. I do what I can, but I can't give to everybody mate.

Apologies, I've been in contact with people in Australia who have been totally ignorant, who have said that there's no point to the 40 hour famine. I shouldn't have started this thread, because every other time I try to talk about this with someone I get angry because they don't care about real issues.

I meant no insult, and plead ignorance to the event, and based my opinion only on the info given. Apologies to Gusty and his passionate brother.

Apologies, I've been in contact with people in Australia who have been totally ignorant, who have said that there's no point to the 40 hour famine. I shouldn't have started this thread, because every other time I try to talk about this with someone I get angry because they don't care about real issues.

You're right there. You shouldn't have started this thread. Listen mate if you really want to help people in need, why don't you sell your computer and your drumkit, quit your job and sign up to an aid agency, then do us all a favour and bugger off to africa where they actually need the help?

You're right there. You shouldn't have started this thread. Listen mate if you really want to help people in need, why don't you sell your computer and your drumkit, quit your job and sign up to an aid agency, then do us all a favour and bugger off to africa where they actually need the help?

A bit tough there, Eddie. People can still do something, even if it's not sacrificing their entire lifestyles.

Gusty is touched by this issue and I say good on him. It's easy to do nothing in the face of huge forces that are waaay out of our control, but if everyone chooses an issue or two that are important to them and makes a contribution, it's better than nothing. You might not save the world but you might improve a few people's lives.

There are heaps of issues out there - starving kids, local poverty, women's rights in developing countries, the homeles, cancer/heart/whatever research and funding, mental health, bullying, unemployment, animal cruelty, supporting the arts, wilderness preservation, creating opportunities for young people ... the list goes on and on.

Pick a cause ...

Haha, well I doubt I'd be doing you a favour because I don't think you really care. I don't know how to best word my argument against this. Pretty much, I would be stoked if the developed world could take a hit for the developing and under-developed worlds. If that meant me working a low paid, steady job rather than having a chance at a professional drumming career, then fine by me. If only everybody would do that.

I don't see why your trying to discourage someone who is trying to do things to help people in poverty?

Edit - I don't have a full time job, I'm 17.

Back