Too much snare reverb

BramVanroy

So I have been playing an electronic kit for about four to five years now and so I haven't had the need to tune many drum sets (only occasionally when helping a band out when their drummer was ill/absent). But now I am playing in a band. We rent a room where we can rehearse and a drum set is present (even though you have to take your own cymbals), but I really dislike the sound of the snare drum that is already present. I want to bring my own snare drum a long (it is over 15 years old, so I couldn't say what model it is, but it's definitely Gretsch).

I am having a couple of issues with it:
  • when I toggle the snares off, it sounds great, but when I toggle 'em on the snares give that very annoying buzzing sound. Any tips on how to counter this without losing too much snare-y sound?
  • the sound with the snares on is not exactly how I want it. I am wanting to re-tune it, but I am not sure to deal with it. I have been looking through this forum for tuning tips, but really can't find any. (edit: found it) Can anyone give any tips on how to deal with the top and bottom head concerning tuning?

Thanks in advance!

the sympathetic vibration of your snares, with other toms, can be tuned out by tightening or loosening the reso slightly. it is hard to get completely rid of, say the vibrating with other instruments

in general, start tuning with a medium-tight reso, and a medium batter, and come UP to your desired pitch

If you do not have cast hoops try detuning the lugs caddy corner on the snare wires a little.

Back