need advice on drum heads

bonhamdrummer123

Ok im thinking of buying a new kit because I am going to start playing gigs and I need to be able to bring my kit to the place where i will be playing. I also have wanted a new kit for a while. I have a yamaha rydeen kit and I never quite liked the way it sounded. I always liked the look of gretsch kits and I was looking at the gretsch catalina 4 piece set. I am planning on trying it out to see how it sounds before I actually buy it of course, but if I do end up getting it what kind of heads would be good for jazz playing and for good live acoustics?

For Jazz
I like the Evans G1 coated and the Genera Resonant on my mounted tom.
I use an Aqurian Studio-X coated with the muffle ring removed over an Evans G1 coated on my floor tom.
Bass, Remo PS3 batter and Fiberskin out front.
Snare, Aqurian Focus-X with Classic clear reso.

That's the way it works in my twisted world!

Coated Ambassador's are pretty standard for toms and snare batters. Maybe clear Ambassadors on the reso side of the toms but they could be coated, too.

Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium is my go-to choice for jazzy sounds. They sound beautiful tuned high or low and have a great warm, mellow sound. Highly recommended!

Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium is my go-to choice for jazzy sounds. They sound beautiful tuned high or low and have a great warm, mellow sound. Highly recommended!
I have been meaning to try those Winston, Do you have sound samples?

I would definiatelyry to go Aquarian, tuning them is so much easier and they don't go out of tune as often.

I have to agree, plus they last longer and cost less and have the best customer service in the industry. BTW music 123 on ebay has real good prices and free delivery in the USA.

Remo, Evans, Aquarian, whatever. Just make sure you go one ply. That way you can get maximum sustain. And stay away from muffling rings, they will deaden the sound, and power dots, the work in some cases but generally not for jazz.

Clear vs, Coated is a preference, but most jazz players use coated.

I agree with the advice you are getting on single ply heads for jazz. I am making the assumption that when you say jazz, you're primarily referring to straight ahead, bop, style as opposed to fusion. If it's fusion that you're going to play, then I may stay with the single ply or go to a two ply head like a Evans G2 or EC2 dependent upon the music. Rick Drumm

I am a big fan of the EC1 and EC2 for funk and light rock.
They make the tom put out this really cool warn tone with just the right amount of sustain.
If you put a Genera reso underneath the EC's you get a bright undertone that enhances the batter tone.
I like to tune the EC's just above medium and the Genera Reso's just slightly higher but almost equal in pitch.

Back