Rick Latham here

funkyrick

DW PRO DRUMMER
Hi Drummerworld Forum Folks,
Just a note to say Happy New Year to everyone from sunny L.A. and to announce that 2010 is the 30th Anniversary of my Advanced Funk Studies book. I would like to ask that you share any stories and/or comments about my book that others might find interesting.
Please feel free to email me directly or here from the forum pages. Some of your comments might even be chosen for future ads and promotion for later in the year.
Thanks and all the best for now, You can find more information on my web site.
Keeping It Funky,
Rick

P.S. I have been a big fan of Bernhard for many years and excited and honored about being included on this great site!!!!!! Many Thanks Bernhard for bringing the drummers of the world together......

Re: Rick Latham 30th Anniversary Comments

Happy New Year Rick..Always liked your book and saw some clips of your DVD with drumchannel in their DC ads....looks good!!

Hi Rick

Good to see you here - welcome!!

Unfortunately i'm not at the NAMM Show - but i received your DVD - in fact a package of three DVD's.

So to everybody: great funky stuff - will put up samples soon....

Bernhard

Welcome on DrummerWorld Rick, I'm glad you're part of our family now.

Remember me ? I'm Michel who asked you on Facebook, a sticking pattern from one your lick from your new DVD about two week ago...

Wish you the best, take care & A+

Rick

I studied with you part-time back in the day on your old yellow kit. Your drumset techniques forever changed my approach to playing. I will always be grateful of the direction you gave me.

Great to see you here!

Hi Drummerworld Forum Folks,
Just a note to say Happy New Year to everyone from sunny L.A. and to announce that 2010 is the 30th Anniversary of my Advanced Funk Studies book. I would like to ask that you share any stories and/or comments about my book that others might find interesting.
Please feel free to email me directly or here from the forum pages. Some of your comments might even be chosen for future ads and promotion for later in the year.
Thanks and all the best for now, You can find more information on my web site.
Keeping It Funky,
Rick

P.S. I have been a big fan of Bernhard for many years and excited and honored about being included on this great site!!!!!! Many Thanks Bernhard for bringing the drummers of the world together......

Well, just to share my experience with your book, I found it wonderful.

I have studied from Advanced Funk Studies and Contemporary Drum Techniques, and both helped me to progress musically and become a much better player.

I'm happy to hear that your awesome book has made it 30 years!

Thanks for all the inspiration, and the great materials.

@ Thunderstix
Advanced Funk Studies is definitely a book on which your money is really well spent. I worked through it and it's really helped me a lot. I really liked it.

Rick,
I met you last month in Austin, Texas at a drum clinic at Jeff Ryder's drum shop. Thanks again for taking the time to show us some of your chops. I have been telling my drummer friends about your technique and what you told us to practice. Thanks again, it was a pleasure to meet you.

Hello Rick
I'm Spanish drummer and for me is a big big Honor to speak with you because I Love your book. I Always return to it whem I'm bored in my study-time becoming then exciting time.
A litle vid that I recorded yesterday from a pattern you wrote on that book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3mVRwIWRw

Thanks Master (and sorry about my bad english (and playing ;-)))

Hi Black7mt,

Funk Studies or Advanced Funk Studies is the name of my first book. It focuses on many of the funk and linear techniques that have been popular in contemporary drumming since the 70s. With many original patterns and exercises as well as transcriptions from some of my favorite players such as Steve Gadd, Harvey Mason, David Garibaldi and others. If you are interested in funk and linear style drumming, I think you will really enjoy the book and CDs. all the best for now and Keep It Funky.....
Rick

Hey Rick, I just finished through Advanced Funk Studies, and it is definitely one of my favorite drum books of all time! I love the solos at the end. I'll be sure to pick up the 25th anniversary addition soon.
Also let me know if you ever come to St. Louis for a clinic or show.

Rick!
Thanks for your books, thanks to your transcriptions in Funk Studies, I was exposed to a lot of good stuff at a young age. I went through that book in the 90's and it was my fave for sure!

sam.

Hi Rick!!

As a beginner i'm having a lot of fun with your advanced funk studies book. It's very tough but fun at the same time. I have not finished it yet (i'm almost ready to learn the drum solo part) but my drumming already improved to a level i never thought i would have reached.

I have a question for you: i was planning to add a 1/2 hour session to my daily practice routine by selecting some of the exercises in your book, What are, in your opinion, the most important exercises in your "advanced funk studies"?
Is there any exercise that can be defined as "core" and that should be mastered even beyond the most effective speed and practiced every day?

I hope that it doesn't sound too silly ;)

Thank you for your awesome work and for being here ^^

Hi, Rick!
First, let me say that ii am a fan of your groove and style in which you play that groove!
I have a quick question, looking at your cymbal setup, I notice that you have the cymbals angled almost Ndugu Chancellor style,which is almost vertical, is this done for tone or for comfort of playing?
Thanks in advance!
Phil.

Back