New Snare Head or pack of Moongel

Hi first post
Just got a Yamaha Rydeen kit with the stock heads still on em
Problem is they are 7 years old
I keep getting this annoying ring that lasts of along time after i his the snare i have tried tuning it, tightening the snares, and tightening the reso head but nothing works
So now i was thinking of either buying a pack of moon gel or gtetting the EC2 Reverse Dot Snare head

If head is 7 yrs old I'd start there. If you want a non-ringing snare, then Evans HD Dry is probably least ringing one you could get. I like mine.

Time to put new heads on that entire kit top and bottom! Especially gotta get away from those stock heads. It'll sound like a totally different kit with new heads!

Definitely new heads. I would also replace the snare strainer with some PureSounds, maybe the Blasters? Make sure the lugs are still oiled and really put in some time tuning the drum. Sometimes I use the MoonGel when certain rooms call for it. It's one way to go, but proper tuning and maintenance should solve your problems.

Some ring in a snare is a good thing.
Does your snare make a good crack?
If you hit it dead center does the ring diminish?
If you have a good crack and just little ring when the drum is hit on center then the drum is tuned properly.
No one can hear a mild ring but you. You are the only one that is sitting on top of the drum.

Yes, new heads are in order to replace the stock heads on that kit.

As an alternative to moongel, keep your eyes out for coin operating toy vending machines that sell the stretchy hands made of the same material moongel is made of, but much, much cheaper. Like 1/4 the price, but no cup to hold them in. You could probably get a whole bag of them cheap online too...

Back