Why I love the blues, great SRV video

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
It's not really a drumming video at all. But it shows real musical conviction and passion pretty good, something that's related to drumming. His solos are master studies in how to play blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsqRBCXiuw

Starting at around 1:56 watch for a really evil eye roll, shortly after, he lets out these vocalizations before he launches into his solo, so cool....

Last edited:
Yes indeed Larry, SRV had a masterful feel for Blues.
I also study his music.

It's funny I got into blues music soley from the love of the guitar sounds. I thought blues chords played on a Strat was probably the best sound I had ever heard, and I didn't care if the drums were in the background, I wanted to be a part of that music. But there really is a lot to do in blues drumming, none of it too obvious

I've heard so many drummers comment that Blues is easy to play.
Then I heard them play the Blues. They overplay, They don't have the timing. They have no feeling for the music.

I hate to be blasphemous but I'm really not that crazy about Chris Laytons stuff behind SRV. It's not bad or anything but there's some things he plays that doesn't sit all the way right with me, little things.

I hate to be blasphemous but I'm really not that crazy about Chris Laytons stuff behind SRV. It's not bad or anything but there's some things he plays that doesn't sit all the way right with me, little things.
Im not going to go there with you Larry.
I will say this. I studied Chris and I learned a great deal from him. He does add some elements of Rock and Jazz to the SRV recordings.
The Hendrix covers are among my favorite in regards to his drumming.

Another blues fan here. I was practicing tonight listening to some Johnny Lang, Robin Ford, and Alin Lee's blues album (compilation) on the headphones. Figured I'd start with blues because I absolutely LOVE the stuff and it sounds "easy"... I SUCK....lmao!

Back to the pad......

Ooh yeah. SRV has that classic Jimi-ish tone and attack.

Larry, like you, I'm not crazy about Chris Layton's drumming although I would gladly accept his time, tempo, feel, sound and dynamics any day.

But as a music fan, when it comes to three-piece groups I like a bit more action from the drummer - think Mitch Mitchell, John Densmore, Stewart Copeland. Ok, different music, but in some of SRV's numbers you get the feeling that someone like Mitch could have helped take it to another level - that extra fire and creativity. Sorry Bob. Not being as brilliant as Mitch is hardly a disgrace :)

I thought the drumming on Couldn't Stand the Weather was super-tasty, though. An old band of mine covered that number for a while ... it's one of the most fun grooves to play ever IMO!

Actually I was a little harsh on ol Chris, he does posess all the vital skills needed. I don't idolize him though. I like the guy from Duke Robillards band, Mark Trexiera (Texiera?)
But Stevies facial expressions in that video rreally get me.

larryace;663516 It's funny I got into blues music soley from the love of the guitar sounds. I thought blues chords played on a Strat was probably the best sound I had ever heard

67'Strat running clean, just a little compression and little chorus thru a tube amp, an old Twin Reverb maybe...yup, that'lll do it for me too.
During my Rolling Stones/ Grand Funk/ Deep Purple/Uriah Heep days, Phil Zuzi played a BB King tune on my acoustic guitar and I heard a major 7th chord for the first time in my life.It changed my life forever.

On the Layton thing, I heard SRV in a small dive called Dan Lynch's in NYC in the early 80s. The man was so electrifying, there was absolutely no chance of noticing anything else. Gooseflesh stuff...

Last edited:
When I think of Chris Layton's playing I think of his great Texas shuffle. Cold Shot is one of the best shufles ever IMO.

When I think of Chris Layton's playing I think of his great Texas shuffle. Cold Shot is one of the best shufles ever IMO.

Agree. When you hear that you can see why SRV joined forces with him.

Aydee said:
I heard SRV in a small dive called Dan Lynch's in NYC in the early 80s. The man was so electrifying, there was absolutely no chance of noticing anything else. Gooseflesh stuff...

Yeah, he was a classic example of a true natural - the music just poured out of him. I love post Hendrix guitarist/band leaders - SRV, Robin Trower, Lenny Kravitz. We may not see the likes of those people again in the big league.

In Oz there is a blues guitarist - Jeff Lang - who is outstanding. I saw an outdoors gig of his last year. I hadn't heard them before at all and, tragically, was doing the usual moron drummer thing of mainly checking out the drummer, who was a fine player. However, the sound, style and vibe coming from Jeff's guitar was so compelling that it even dragged this pathetic drum tragic's attention to him.

Jeff is another natural ... like SRV, everything he plays on guitar is infused with a little bit of magic. Thoroughly recommended for blues fans who aren't purists ... his group went off on some pretty wild psychedelic improvisational raves.

It's not really a drumming video at all. But it shows real musical conviction and passion pretty good, something that's related to drumming. His solos are master studies in how to play blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsqRBCXiuw

Starting at around 1:56 watch for a really evil eye roll, shortly after, he lets out these vocalizations before he launches into his solo, so cool....

Man you just entertained me for a while. Great stuff. Unreal. We cover some of his stuff and I just love it. I cant play quite that sedately to it, though it's fun to maintain the feel. I love it thanks man.

I can't take credit for entertaining you, man it was all Stevie. Being as visibly convicted as that man is a rare sight indeed. He plays with such testosterone, as every man should.

You kind of have to play "sedately" to blues for it to work right. Otherwise, you'd be stepping on a great performance. When Stevie is "talking" (or any soloist) I don't like to "interrupt". Support for sure, but don't steal the spotlight at all. It's just common courtesy. Blues is not a drummers showcase, not at all, it about how good you can do a thankless job.
Kinda like Ringo. When he plays, it's easy to say, Oh man if I was playing that, I would have played "this" instead. The thing is, when you go ahead and try to play "this" you realize that Ringo knew what "NOT" to play.

I used Cold Shot to perfect my shuffle beat. Thanks Chris! I love you man!

Hey Larry,
I've played guitar for over 25 years.....was a huge SRV fan, among many others. I believe this is from the, "Austin City Limits" series....a wonderful concert, if memory serves.

Yep....just went looking, here ya go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxxBGb2uSE&feature=related

the great ones always make it look so easy.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_7PfabVJ0&feature=related

This was right around the time SRV put out the Tightrope album....he was really making a nice comeback (getting clean)....unfortunately, I tried 3x to see him, but tickets we're always sold out...I didn't try too hard to get any, and just figured I'd catch him next time. I remember the news of his death.....just awful...... remember Clapton was supposed to be on that helicopter, but gave up the seat to an exhausted Vaughn. That just killed me, I was sooooo into that album at the time, I was on my way to purchasing a big Marshall full-stack that day, when the news hit my radio.....devestating. A wonderful talent indeed, and definately gone before his time....the best was yet to come from him.

Lastly, if you appreciate great musicians...other than drummers...here is, just an supreme performance from another master.....love this song!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn27IcAapPI&feature=PlayList&p=2C03E605B3E1A474&index=0&playnext=1

Actually I was a little harsh on ol Chris, he does possess all the vital skills needed. I don't idolize him though. I like the guy from Duke Robillard's band, Mark Trexiera (Texiera?)
But Stevies facial expressions in that video really get me.

T-e-x-i-e-r-a, Mark Texiera, lucky for me a personal friend. He's a GREAT drummer, and a wicked good kid too. I've watched him play since he was a young'n, and he surpassed ME years ago!! Fun as HELL to watch too as he's got an excitement for the music that few others possess.

Also, you forget the OTHER piece of the equation in SRV's band!! Chris would sound pretty out of place playing much more than he did with Tommy's bass playing. Tommy lay's it down like PAVEMENT and Chris splits the difference between Stevie and Tommy in a manner that's really PERFECT for the band. Any more that that and he'd be playing ALONE and not WITH the band. It's not the same with Mitch Mitchell, there was ROOM in Hendrix's music and Mitch filled it in quite well.

You kind of have to play "sedately" to blues for it to work right. Otherwise, you'd be stepping on a great performance. When Stevie is "talking" (or any soloist) I don't like to "interrupt". Support for sure, but don't steal the spotlight at all. It's just common courtesy. Blues is not a drummers showcase, not at all, it about how good you can do a thankless job.
Kinda like Ringo. When he plays, it's easy to say, Oh man if I was playing that, I would have played "this" instead. The thing is, when you go ahead and try to play "this" you realize that Ringo knew what "NOT" to play.

Not a big Mitch Mitchell fan, Larry? He played a lot but not all the time; in Red House he laid right back. On the other hand he carried on, including solo, in another of Jimi's blues like Catfish Blues. As a keen Ringo-ologist, when I listen to Ringo's tracks I'm not thinking of what I could play instead so much as "How did he think of that?"

I agree that for a drummer of my standard playing in a five-piece group as I am, laying back in blues will work best. However, if a drummer has as much mojo as Mitch is playing in a 3-piece outfit then, depending on the song, some extra carry-on while the bassist stays home can add a lot to the experience ... that wasn't "interrupting" or playing alone - it was a conversation.

Not knocking Chris, just agreeing with you that while he's a fine drummer he's not amongst my faves. Bob, I agree with you that Cold Shot's a great song and Chris's groove in it is spot on. The only formula is there is no catch-all formula IMO

I wouldn't say I'm not a Mitch fan. I am. Mitch...has such a unique style that you can't compare anyone else to him. He lays it back for Redhouse but still he has that "Mitch" flavor too it. (which works great for that song) Only he could do his style. I can't even imitate his style, so I don't try. He was really into Elvin Jones and has a deep jazz background, something I totally lack.

You have to wonder what Mitch would have done w/ SRV. I wonder if he would even get the gig. The 60's were a totally different time. Mitch was one of those guys who could "overplay", without detracting.

Back