Back to my roots :)

Word UP! That's some good thumping :)

killing it! You, my friend, just keep getting better and better....

Simple simple stuff Abe, but it's actually how I used to earn my living post ice age ;) Strangely, since coming back to playing, this is the first time I've actually knocked out a few rock groove songs. I love this bass drum lead kinda vibe. I suppose, underneath all the desire to be a good rounded player, this is actually me.

Haven't heard that one in quite a while.......................crowds always like that one....................word up.
Yes, the original's a bit wimpy. This version is nearer Gun's than Cameo's. Anyhow, we're just throwing a few "quick win" power trio type numbers together in rehearsal so we can drop them into a second set that needs to keep bouncing.

Word UP! That's some good thumping :)
Deliberate unashamed thumping is such a good thing to do Mary. It cleanses the soul :)

Great relaxed groove! No need to comment on the drum sounds but I will anyways - fabulous....

Great stuff, man. I just wish there was more of it. The song is vaguely familiar to me, but I can't place it, even though there are two clues. Nice solid beat and footwork.

Nice, Andy. Great drum sound, super-solid groove.

Cameo!

Great relaxed groove! No need to comment on the drum sounds but I will anyways - fabulous....
Thank you. We just pulled this out of the bag at practice. Still that dead room issue though :(

Great stuff, man. I just wish there was more of it. The song is vaguely familiar to me, but I can't place it, even though there are two clues. Nice solid beat and footwork.
More of it - ah yes. The guys asked me to record the first tries of this song. I plugged the Zoom into the wall socket & placed it on top of my cases. What I didn't realise is the socket wasn't working, so the Zoom relied on what was left of it's batteries, & promptly died after a minute or so :(

Nice, Andy. Great drum sound, super-solid groove.

Cameo!
Thanks. Stripped down & simple usually works out well :)

Word Up! I knew I recognised it.
Yes Guys, Cameo "Word Up" but with more balls (we progress to a pretty chunky guitar solo and a nice alternate 8ths on/off the bell groove plus a fairly challenging (at least, for me) bass drum pattern).

Original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_fGgNs_PcM

Us (now HD = better sound) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwiwPyaD7s&hd=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff! Your version actually reminded me more of Korn's version than the original. I guess in reality it sits somewhere in between the two.

I'd love to hear it with a looser and fatter snare sound, but that's just me :)

Wow. You guys play Cameo? Nice groove on that one Andy. I seriously think you need a nice phat sounding snare though! I know you have one..... ;)
Yes, for this song - certainly. Cameo's a bit of a stretch for us, but we've turned it into a rock track, so it should sit just fine late second set :)

Good stuff! Your version actually reminded me more of Korn's version than the original. I guess in reality it sits somewhere in between the two.

I'd love to hear it with a looser and fatter snare sound, but that's just me :)
+ 1 from Bo too on the snare. Our version of this tune is pretty stripped down & simplified. We don't include our keyboards in this either. We feel it's better as a straight guitar rocker.

Liking that quarter note pattern on the hi hat Andy. The time feel sits nicely. Nice groove Andy. Put me down for wanting a fatter snare tone for this song.

Also, you should be singing a song or 2. Why is it when English dudes sing, their accent disappears?

I like the groove Andy, nice bass drum pattern, I'm a fan of bass drum patterns :)
Thanks Henri. Of course, this is just a short snippet of a first jam of the track. It needs refining somewhat, but yes, I'm a fan of a simple top end of the kit with driving 2 bar bass drum patterns. That's the very premise of this thread, I don't get to do that nearly often enough, & it's the one thing I used to be fairly well known for.

I'm surprised nobody's picked up on the single pedal fills. I use a hihat stomp in a quad pattern. Clean & effective.

Liking that quarter note pattern on the hi hat Andy. The time feel sits nicely. Nice groove Andy. Put me down for wanting a fatter snare tone for this song.
Thanks Larry, & yes, point taken on the fat snare deal. Seems like I'll have to have two snares with me on gigs. This is the ultra dead practice room I despair over, so my snare is as dry as hell :(

Thanks man :) What - no tweaking of my nipples today? Are you OK?

I'm hoping that's English slang for giving you a hard time. Across the pond we call it "ball busting". The concept is the same but doesn't leave us with weird thoughts.

Great playing Andy. That ride is a bit pingy for my liking but I'll bet it really cuts through the mix.

I'm hoping that's English slang for giving you a hard time. Across the pond we call it "ball busting". The concept is the same but doesn't leave us with weird thoughts.

Great playing Andy. That ride is a bit pingy for my liking but I'll bet it really cuts through the mix.
Hahaha, yes, sorry for leaving you with that image ;)

This ride is fairly pingy. It's why I use it for live rock shows. (not especially in this number) the band produces a big full sound, so I need something with definition. That said, this is that super dry rehearsal room I've been bitching about recently, plus I'm playing right at the base of the bell.

Two comments I frequently receive here are in relation to my ride pingyness, & the need for a lower tuned/fatter snare. I agree with both, but I only get those comments here, never at gigs. Also, the band has a different opinion. Even in melodic numbers, they like the snare crack & a defined ride. I tried swapping both out a few gigs back without telling them, & boy did I suffer complaints after the first set. I was forced to revert back to my default. Guess I need two rides & two snares on the kit, then everyone's happy :)

Back