Exorbitant price of Ebony heads

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
Sorry if this has been answered already [did a quick search and couldn't find a good answer], but why are [Remo] Ebony heads considerably more expensive than their equivalent heads in the same range (at least in the UK)?

If one compares popular models used as Bass Drum resonant heads, for example, one shop that I use now and then currently sells the 22" SW PS3 for 38GBP and the 22" Ebony PS3 for 46GBP (Over 20% increase). Similarly, their price for a 22" Remo Smooth White Ambassador is 22GBP and for a 22" Ebony Ambassador it's 37GBP - an increase of nearly 70%. These are not RRP, by the way.

Is black paint just that much more expensive in California [or wherever their heads are made]? Aside from the aesthetic difference, I can't tell these heads apart. Do Remo just figure that most people will just buy a black front head for their Bass Drums because they think it's the done thing? And if so, presumably they assume that most drummers don't change the resonant heads as often as the batter heads, so something that is typically used as a resonant head will be purchased less frequently? Or none of the above?

It's probably partly the cost of the material, partly because of the different look so it can be priced higher. When Black heads were brand new, they made them higher priced of course, because it was "new and cool"...and just left it priced higher. The way it goes.

Aquarian uses paint on the back of clear film for their White and Black smooth heads. They listed them as "Video Gloss" in the past. Maybe they still do?
Remo and Evans uses Black film--Mylar, Polyester film, whatever they want to call it.

I almost choked when I saw the prices for ebony heads too.
The solution was to grab some el-cheapo Powerbeat ebony heads and colour in the white Powerbeat logo with black felt pen! (Only using as tom reso's though- probably not the best way to go for bass drums).

Yep, they're more expensive everywhere. Why? Who knows.​
If the $10 price difference is killing you, maybe buy an Ebony Ambassador and add a homemade richie ring to it. That's what we did, before the Powerstroke 3 was marketed.​

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed about having an ebony head myself - I actually use all clear resonant heads at the moment and am perfectly satisfied. I was just curious to see if anyone knew of any physical/acoustic properties that a black painted head has that a white (or even clear) one doesn't.

From a marketing point of view it strikes me as odd that Remo would price what they consider to be their most popular heads for use as BD resonant heads as their more expensive. I mean, the coated ambassador is most likely still the most used Remo head for snare drum batter heads (?) but because of it's popularity one can usually get it for significantly less than, say, the fiberskyn heads.

From a marketing point of view it .....
And without actual sales numbers (units sold) ..... it's really hard to make a "marketing" judgement call. And, without knowing the cost per unit (something I'm sure Remo doesn't publish) it's all just speculation.​

Ebony heads have always been more expensive then their clear counter parts, going back to the late 80's.

The Remo heads appear black because of en extra layer of film. It's not just ink.
Extra materials = extra cost.

The Remo heads appear black because of en extra layer of film. It's not just ink.
Extra materials = extra cost.

Ah, now, that's an interesting point. But then again, the vendor that I mentioned sells a 22" Coated Powersonic - which is a 2 ply head with a coated finish, extra internal dampening as well as the external dampening snap-on pad, and a falam patch: all that for 44.50GBP which is still less than their price for the 22" Ebony PS3.

It would make more sense to me if the Ebony heads were capable of producing a markedly different sound to their Clear or Smooth White counterparts, but I really don't believe that they are. Surely it's just a cosmetic gimmick?

It would make more sense to me if the Ebony heads were capable of producing a markedly different sound to their Clear or Smooth White counterparts, but I really don't believe that they are. Surely it's just a cosmetic gimmick?

EBONY heads do sound different.

Coloured mylar is an added cost and black is the most intensive colour to produce.

Back