Buying new heads. Need opinions on which drum heads to get.

Skeletone

This is my first post on the drummerworld forums.
I have a Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive and need advice on getting new heads to get the best sound out of my kit.
Drum specs. 13x6 snare, 10x6.5 tom, 12x7 tom, 16x14 floor tom, and 22x20 bass drum. (All Birch)

I was looking more into clear heads since I've already tried coated ambassadors and didn't like the sound I got from them.I've been looking into clear remo emperors but wasn't sure if they were good for shallow sized shells.
Any advice/opinions would be appreciated thanks.

I loved using clear emperor heads. They should work great on your kit. Clear heads are a bit brighter than coated so consider the sound your looking for.

I'd suggest nothing but coated on the snare. Personally nothing sound better on any snare than a coated Ambassador.

Aquarian studio x batters with classic clear resos, studio x coated on snare with classic clear snare side and a super kick 1 with regulator front head on the kick. They sound awesome and are cheaper and last much longer than other brands. You may need a moon jell on the floor tom but its easier to remove some resonance than it is to add it. The snare will have a nice wet sound and a control ring can be use to get a nice dry sound without choking it when needed. The kick will be big and warm with great attack and quick decay, no extra muffling is needed. If your an online shopper Music 123's ebay store has real good prices on Aquarian heads with free shipping in the USA. They also have package deals on some sizes and Ive seen the super kick and regulator with a double kick reinforcement patch in a package for about $60. Ive been an Aquarian user for about 12 years now, I keep trying other heads from time to time based on other drummers suggestions and reviews but I cant seem to get the sound or the longevity I can get with the Aquarians. Hope this helps.

Aquarian studio x batters with classic clear resos, studio x coated on snare with classic clear snare side and a super kick 1 with regulator front head on the kick. They sound awesome and are cheaper and last much longer than other brands. You may need a moon jell on the floor tom but its easier to remove some resonance than it is to add it. The snare will have a nice wet sound and a control ring can be use to get a nice dry sound without choking it when needed. The kick will be big and warm with great attack and quick decay, no extra muffling is needed. If your an online shopper Music 123's ebay store has real good prices on Aquarian heads with free shipping in the USA. They also have package deals on some sizes and Ive seen the super kick and regulator with a double kick reinforcement patch in a package for about $60. Ive been an Aquarian user for about 12 years now, I keep trying other heads from time to time based on other drummers suggestions and reviews but I cant seem to get the sound or the longevity I can get with the Aquarians. Hope this helps.

+1!!!! I believe this is a great head combination for your drums. I've been playing Aquarian for 18 years now. I love the Studio-X heads. I play the coated Studio-X on my toms, Classic Clear resonants. Studio-X w/dot coated or Hi-Energy on snares.

You'll love Aquarian and Mr. Roy Burns...great company owned and operated by a drummer.

Hey welcome to the forum! I think your head selection will depend widely on what types of music you play and how you like to tune your drums, but you can't really go wrong with clear 2 plies over clear 1 ply. I have your same drumkit but in a 6 piece configuration and I think your drumhead selection will also depend on what room you have your drumkit in: for example in my practice room my toms loose some of their low end so clear heads don't sound as great, but when I take out to play it usually sounds fenomenal. Anyways I just ordered an evans g2 coated 14" and an evans g2 clear 16 to see what sounds best, I'll let you know as soon as I test them out.

It may be useful to us if you could tell us what sort of sound you were looking to achieve.

Ambassadors/G1s/Aquarian equivalents, coated or clear on both sides usually can work for anything. After that it's just tuning and if needed, muffling.

Personally, I like using Vintage Emperors batters, and coated ambassador on the toms for a nice punchy, warm and cozy sound. Snare uses a coated/vintage emperor and an ambassador snare side. On the bass, I use the yamaha PS3 equivalent, and a smooth white ludwig ambassador equivalent.

Back