Ludwig Speed king Disassembly... How?

RollingStone000

Silver Member
I recently picked up an old Ludwig (actually WFL) Speed King pedal, and I've been reading around and everyone mentions to clean and then re-lube the thing. So my question is does anyone one know of a link or a reference on how to do so (or possibly post it as a reply)? I got the whole removing the two screws from the bottom and pulling out the springs and push rods thing, but I'm talking about a complete disassembly, in particular the bearing/cam assembly. I saw something on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S10b5ffBwUQ) the problem is he doesn't show how he takes the pedal apart completely.

FYI - I've looked around quite a bit on this forum and few other forums, as well as all over the net. Everyone, just mentions the screws>springs>pushrods and nothing further.

Thanks in advance...

Honestly I wouldn't mess with the cam shafts, or the removal of the bearings. Older (not sure about the latest models) models have 4 roll pins holding the cam shaft(s) onto the rocker assembly (or vice-versa).

You would need a small roll pin remover and once the pins are out, they don't fit as well again, the hole gets reamed by extraction. Try punching them out, and you'll probably break the rocker assembly. There's no real benefit to taking the rocker assembly apart unless its in need of replacement (broken), so the "If it ain't broke.." rule applies here.

You can clean the bearings with (auto) carb cleaner, get the good stuff (heavier can). 'Blast' the grease out after rods and springs are removed. This may or may not loosen the bearing enough to fall or be gently pulled out.

Once cleaned, I would only 'lightly' coat the springs and rods with grease, a little dollop on the cam/rod contact, nothing else. The bearings just need (a good) lube, grease slows them down.

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 6,368
Once cleaned, I would only 'lightly' coat the springs and rods with grease, a little dollop on the cam/rod contact, nothing else. The bearings just need (a good) lube, grease slows them down.

I just picked up a 60s Speed King and cleaned/regreased it but I'll admit, I did put a crapload of grease in there. Would you recommend I pull it apart again and remove some of it? I do obviously want the best performance possible...

I just picked up a 60s Speed King and cleaned/regreased it but I'll admit, I did put a crapload of grease in there. Would you recommend I pull it apart again and remove some of it? I do obviously want the best performance possible...

What grease did you use? I used a thick bike(?) grease, and lots of it, and it's one of the fastest pedals I've played. I'd be more worried about the quality of grease than the quantity from the sounds of it.

Back