Roland td4 vs td9

Grace :)

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, what are the main differences between the td 4 and td9 modules? In your opinion, do you think that the td 9 is a good upgrade from the td 4?? -I'm talking about the module only - I'm pretty happy with my Roland electronic kit, but was thinking about possibly swapping the td4 module for a td9, but obviously there will be a considerable cost and I'd like to know if people who have used one or both think that it's worth the investment?

Not answering your question but if you're looking at buying new don't forget that Roland is about to supersede both these modules - TD-11 to replace TD-4 as the Compact series and TD-15 to replace TD-9 as Tour series.

I would keep your current module and spend that money on building a VST computer so you can trigger Superior Drummer, BFD2, or AD.

Thanks for the heads up stickson - unfortunately I just bought a new Roland td4kx2 so I doubt I'll be looking for a new compete kit for some time -'on the plus side it was heavily reduced (I'm guessing because the new line was coming in?)

And that's an interesting idea csnow....how would that work though? Would it literally be just plug the kit into a computer and use that as a module? I've never used any software before

Thanks for the heads up stickson - unfortunately I just bought a new Roland td4kx2 so I doubt I'll be looking for a new compete kit for some time -'on the plus side it was heavily reduced (I'm guessing because the new line was coming in?)

And that's an interesting idea csnow....how would that work though? Would it literally be just plug the kit into a computer and use that as a module? I've never used any software before

Here is a good read for you Grace. I would join this forum, and we can help you on your VST journey. In a nutshell, you need a decent computer but it doesnt need to be gamer fast. The most important piece is the sound card. A standard sound card wont work. You need a low latency card that has AISO drivers. You can get a decent one for around $150-$200 like a M-Audio Audiophile 192. That is the one I use.

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?46310-Once-And-For-All-VST-Primer

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, what are the main differences between the td 4 and td9 modules? In your opinion, do you think that the td 9 is a good upgrade from the td 4?? -I'm talking about the module only - I'm pretty happy with my Roland electronic kit, but was thinking about possibly swapping the td4 module for a td9, but obviously there will be a considerable cost and I'd like to know if people who have used one or both think that it's worth the investment?

The TD-9 is a great upgrade from a TD-4. You'd have 99 kits (make sure you get the v2 upgrade) and lots of other features, like the scope (great training tool) and the ability to install Vexpressions packs and manage the library (with software like vDrumLib). The TD-9 is slightly better sounding than the TD-4, IMO, although the TD-4 does a nice job. It will be an expensive upgrade though because the TD-4 module doesn't bring much on the used market. TD-9 prices have been falling but it still takes about 650-700 to get a good one.

Don't worry about it being phased out.

I

The TD-9 is a great upgrade from a TD-4. You'd have 99 kits (make sure you get the v2 upgrade) and lots of other features, like the scope (great training tool) and the ability to install Vexpressions packs and manage the library (with software like vDrumLib). The TD-9 is slightly better sounding than the TD-4, IMO, although the TD-4 does a nice job. It will be an expensive upgrade though because the TD-4 module doesn't bring much on the used market. TD-9 prices have been falling but it still takes about 650-700 to get a good one.

Don't worry about it being phased out.

I

I concur with that statement if you are wanting to stay with module sounds. In my opinion all of the module sounds (VEX included) still sound fake. I had several of the VEX kits on my TD20; and, while they do sound better through headphones, they are weak through a PA. Once I migrated to VSTs, I could never go back to module sounds. Yes, I am a VST fanboy through and through.

I concur with that statement if you are wanting to stay with module sounds. In my opinion all of the module sounds (VEX included) still sound fake. I had several of the VEX kits on my TD20; and, while they do sound better through headphones, they are weak through a PA. Once I migrated to VSTs, I could never go back to module sounds. Yes, I am a VST fanboy through and through.

Thanks for that tip. Actually I now have a TD-12. Compared to the kits on my TD-9, the kits on the TD-12 are terrible with the exception of vStage and melodies(which is awesome and allows you to play a gig at the Ramada Inn lounge completely on your own) So I am looking at other solutions.

BTW for the sake of the OP: the TD-12 and -20 generally have more realistic interpretations of acoustic drums, all things being equal. Cymbals are especially better on these modules vs the TD-9.

Back