Gentle Giant

Great band. I, too, enjoy Power and the Glory, as well as Octopus.

Octopus is the greatest.

I only own their DVD/CD package so I don't have many songs

Octopus is the greatest.

I only own their DVD/CD package so I don't have many songs

I just picked up Octopus, but haven't listened to the whole thing yet. They seem very King Crimson influenced, strange because I can't stand king crimson and yet i love gentle giant.

Can't stand King Crimson? Some people never learn...

Hahaha that's what my friends keep telling me, but I find them way too pretentious. And "out there" I guess...

It depends on the KC you've listened to. I can understand ITCOTCK being seen as 'pretentious' - parts of it are - but something like Larks' Tongues in Aspic I can't really see it like that. I suppose it is very esoteric and difficult music; but I've been a fan since I was thirteen or fourteen, so I don't really see it that way. Really it's a case of familiarity with the material; when I first started learning guitar I attempted learning a number of KC compositions (ones that I generally knew on the drums already) with very mixed results; but once you break the shell of the music it really isn't all that hard at all.

I can completely understand somebody not liking them. I really can. It's hard music and it can be pretentious at times - but their 73-75 stuff I can't see that way, and a few other albums I can't either. They have had some pretty poor albums, so understood there!

Back