Recording with 1 USB Mic

TXC

I've wanted to record covers for a while, but never quite figured out how to use the only mic I've got (a Blue Sno-Ball) and get it to record while syncing it to the music and video.
Using just this simple USB mic, Adobe Audition, Reason 5, or Audacity (or any other FREE program) what are your guy's recomendations on how to record covers that sound halfway decent.
Also, if anybody has any good tips on how to sync that audio to video using Windows Movie Maker, or another free program, those would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I have good results with a Samson USB mic and QuickTime Player.

Sticking it about 3 feet behind your throne on the ground has really worked well for me while I'm practicing. I can hear everything very clearly.
My throne is up against a wall, and the room echos really bad, so would your method, just outside my door with the door closed work? Maybe get rid of some of the ringy and bring out the bass?

As you have seen, when using one microphone on the drum kit you have to"mix" with that one microphone. Slight changes in it's positioning will result in major differences in the audio volume of certain drums and cymbals. This is a very good way to learn through experimentation on how to get a good balance of the drum kit. The room also plays a very important part of this process. Over the years, thousands of songs have been recorded with the drums having only a single microphone.

Dennis

I often record myself practicing, with a single mic. Usually a really cheap one.
I've gotten an ok sound by hanging the mic down from the ceiling right above me.

Recording with a single mic has been good practice, I've found you have to focus on monitoring your own playing a lot more.
Makes you play the drum set as an instrument, rather than a mix of instruments

I've recorded my practice sessions with a 15$ mic that came with guitar hero, the computer recognizes it as a "Usb Logitech microphone". Added a short audio sample, the mic is hanging just above my head, and I've given a 10db boost at 200hz in Audacity. It can be done even better by isolating different frequency ranges into different tracks. The snare for instance, gets more body, but loses a lot of clarity with the bass boost but that can be avoided by isolating ~2000hz+ and adjusting the volume on that track after setting the bass boost.

View attachment sample.mp3

Last edited:
My room seems to echo a lot, small room, with a wall of windows, I play with my back against the wall opposite the windows. To fix the echo so the mic doesn't pick it up, do those studio foam things work well or do you think there are some home remedies on the forum somewhere?

Back