Evans vs Aquarian

Sparkman

What sound are you after?

In my experiance (I use both) Aquarian are slightly warmer and a bit more diffuse. Evans are brighter with more attack.

Coated and clear are two different sounds.

Adding a dot just flattens the midrange a little.

What sound are you after?

In my experiance (I use both) Aquarian are slightly warmer and a bit more diffuse. Evans are brighter with more attack.

Coated and clear are two different sounds.

Adding a dot just flattens the midrange a little.

The sound I'm trying to go for is kind of low not to high pitched.

I would like more attack in a head, I read somewhere that 1-ply heads are brighter while 2-ply heads are warmer and I don't want too much brightness. So if I were to go with Evans I would probably put on the coating, but if I were to go with aquarian I would probably go without the coating.

How would flattening the midrange help?

Both are different concept heads.

G1 is single play and open while the Aquarian studio-X are still single play with light muffling.

From your sound preference, the Studio-X should do the job, adding the Powerdot warm & focuss the tone little bit more.

Its not that 1-ply heads are brighter necessarily (Ive actually found them to have more lows than 2-ply heads) its just that 2 ply heads are not known for their brightness.

My suggestion is for 2-pply clear or coated if you didnt want to be tuning and replacing heads regularly.

Its not that 1-ply heads are brighter necessarily (Ive actually found them to have more lows than 2-ply heads) its just that 2 ply heads are not known for their brightness.

My suggestion is for 2-pply clear or coated if you didnt want to be tuning and replacing heads regularly.

My recently installed Aquarian classic clears do indeed have more appearent low end then some 2 ply I have tried.

I have a ps/3 on the reso, I am going to see what a SKI does on this kit as a batter.

Back