Remo CS

CASP3Rdrummer

i bought today a remo cs coated for my snare but i realised there are two types. the black dot and the white dot. i bought the white but is there any difference in sound?

There's more difference between the black dot and the clear dot.

Since that head has the dot on the underside, you most likely aren't going to hear any difference in sound any more than the difference between 2 of the same heads.
I got a white dot CS head too (& a clear dot one), and it's a nice sounding head like the Black dot is.
It was a little funny to get used to though.

The dot on top does make a little difference.
The clear dots have a slightly softer stick/attack sound, a little like a coated head, but the openness of a clear.

wait you say there are three dots ? white black and clear? i think i have the clear then...

damn i should have gotten the black one.. but isn't the switching from playing on the dot to the none dotted surface too different on the out-side-dot (white-black)?

i have them on my toms and they are great and very helpful when i started out gave me something to aim for :p.

damn i should have gotten the black one.. but isn't the switching from playing on the dot to the none dotted surface too different on the out-side-dot (white-black)?

You're asking about the feel difference of playing ON a dot, or having the dot on the underside?

As for the feel, I never had a problem with it feeling strange with a dot on top on the snare and then the smooth surface of the tom heads.

I like the dot on TOP heads because you can get a couple different sounds out of them.
In the center, you get a controlled, fat crack sound.
Near the edge of the dot, you can get a cool "thonk" sound, and off the dot you can get a pretty good ring to the snare sound, but the dot keeps the overtones controlled and not out of control.

The C.S. coated snare heads come in White, Black and Clear dot on the bottom.

On TOP dot, snare heads come usually with clear dots and then coated (1ply, and Coated Emp w/dot).

With Remo, you can pretty much order anything they offer (which is a lot), for example, I have a friend that ordered Ebony Ambassadors with Black dots.
Not a usual listed item, but they made them.

I believe you could order coated tom heads with an underside Dot if you wanted too (I don't have my Remo catalog. handy).

Regular Clear heads with Dot come in Clear film with either a Black (most common), White, or Clear Dot. The Clear dot being the one that sounds more different than the White or Black.

Back