Axis Vs. Iron Cobra

M

Mark Ahle

I play Alt. Rock, no metal bs, but I deff. want a quick pedal that allows me to get some quick kicks off without having to slam my leg.

Iron Cobra vs. Axis.
Whatss good.

-MA

Ive got that Hundred dollar Pacific double pedal. The horrible one. But I discovered the double pedal isn't for me, so I'm looking at single pedals.

-MA

I switched from a cheap pdp pedal to axis - baaad investment. the pedals were waaay too light, i could even get enough power on them either. went back, swapped 'em for iron cobras and i love them. there's more adjustments you can make on the cobras than the axis. but, if your going to direct drive, id go Trick Pro v1 bigfoots. I heard those are the best, but for now im sticking to chain drive. I suggest going to a local drum shop or guitarcenter and trying them out for yourself, don't make blind investments, i've done that before and lost a good amount of money. And considering that your only playing rock and not metal, save yourself 300$ and get the cobras, no need for axis if your not gonna be playing double bass at 200bpm+ :p

I use an AXIS LONGBOARDS A SINGLE PEDAL [A-L] and I love it the best pedal I ever owned hands down but the direct drive dos take some getting used to. I can do things I couldn’t do with an Iron Cobra or a DW double chain drive (both are also great pedals).

As for the Axis pedals being too light, with on power the first thing I did was get ride of the Sonic Hammer Beater IMO there junk and bought a solid wood beater plenty of power.

It’s all personal taste what fells good to you try some out your favorite music store.

Axis $ 250
Tricks $ 350
Cobra $170

Another option to look at would be the Yamaha flying dragon direct drive ;-)

It's hard for anyone to tell you what will be best for you. Everyone's opinion on feel, weight, power is different. Bottom line is you need to get to a shop and try as many pedals as possible to see which on fits you the best.

I play Alt. Rock, no metal bs, but I deff. want a quick pedal that allows me to get some quick kicks off without having to slam my leg.
Do you have a quick foot? If not, the choice of pedal isnt going to change the fact.

You need to get your feet on every pedal you can. And then purchase the one that feels best to you (and you can afford).

I wouldn't call my foot slow, but it's not like I'm pumping blast beats out. I hate that s***. I think I'm going to hit up my guitar center and just try everything.

Thanks a bunch.

-MA

If you want an Axis and don't mind a used pedal, may be a good idea to wait a month till Axis releases the A-21- their new pedal. The result will most likely mean Axis devotees will be looking to upgrade. there'll be more used Axis pedals on the market. Axis pedals wear, but they don't wear out, all wear tolerances on Axi can be adjusted by the user to factory spec's.

Axis ebay

I tried the axis longboards for a while. The thing I really hated about them was that they werent loud at all.

True, the Axis is much lighter than an Iron Cobra, so it will not be as loud. They were built for speed. I still have my Double longboard from when I played metal, and still use it in the band I'm in now. To remedy the volume issue, I use Gibraltar round felt beaters, use no muffling in the bass drum, & I have unique tuning where the batter head is higher than the reso, which is in jaw tuning. I tend to tune my drum slightly higher than most rock drummers b/c the bassist I play with uses a lot of low end EQ and gobbles up the really low frequencies. Of course if you mic your kick drum then volume is not and issue a all.

Back