fairly new to electrics

jazzkat

Hi guys.
I have been playing music for 21 years and drums for 16 years.
I am recently getting into electronic drums now that the technologies are allowing drummers to play lower dynamics and trigger sounds. Things are sounding better (Superior Drummer 2.0) and feel better (Roland, Hart, and now Aquarian!).
For those of you with much electric experience, I have a few questions.

1. Wich triggers are better? Hart or Roland? (drum only, not cymbals)

2. When running software like SD2, does the head/brain/module matter?

3. What affects the sensitivity and dynamic response more -- the module, or the triggers?

Thank you

For those of you with much electric experience, I have a few questions.
1. Wich triggers are better? Hart or Roland? (drum only, not cymbals)
2. When running software like SD2, does the head/brain/module matter?
3. What affects the sensitivity and dynamic response more -- the module, or the triggers?
Thank you

Regarding your questions:

1. If by triggers, you're referring to pads, more specifically mesh head pads, the two you mentioned are about equal..based on the same principle..the main difference is roland uses a V-cone, whereas hart does not, mainly because of patent..the problem with these types of pads is that they suffer from hot spots, namely right in the center of the pad where the trigger is located...they have gotten a little better with this issue, but it still exists...the yamaha TCS pad is based on a reflection plate design..it doesn't suffer from the hot spot problems; it is not mesh, however, some drummers that have tried them prefer them over mesh...less bouncy, more realistic are comments that are made concerning them...
  2. To some extent it does; however you don't have to have the top of line module to run external software; I have heard numerous drummers using modules such as: DTXpress, TD-6, etc.. (i.e., middle of the road modules) to trigger SD2, BFD and others that sounded really nice and triggered flawlessly..
  3. Both...I'd stick with yamaha or roland...I prefer yamaha after using both for many years..I just like the yamaha sound samples better..if you live in europe also consider the 2box kit...from the sounds of it, it's a really nice kit...

Last edited:
Back