Which is cooler - Forks Drum Closet (Nashville) or Explorers Percussion (Kansas City)?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
My girlfriend and I made the trip to Memphis Drum Shop last year and I was amazed at the selection and just how cool the store is setup... Enormous and beautiful cymbal room that was just ridiculous! I made a post here on DW about the trip (with some pics) > http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97806&highlight=memphis+drum+shop

Anyway, we're about to take another weekend trip and had planned on going to Nashville to visit Forks Drum Closet. Then I got to wondering about Explorers Percussion in Kansas City, which is roughly the same distance from me.

Has anyone been to both OR either? What were your thoughts on the vibe of the place, the selection, etc...?

Any input greatly appreciated. :)

PS - A wide selection of cymbals (especially Paiste) is probably my top priority.

SGT Thump, I live in Kansas City and go to Explorer's quite frequently. Their displayed collection of cymbals and snares is not that large (I've seen a better selection in some Guitar Centers) but they do have a fair number of drum kits (mostly low to mid-pirced). Don't be fooled by their catalog, which is excellent, they unfortunately do not have all of those items available at the retail store. Great local drum shop but probably not worth a couple hundred mile drive.

I've been to Explorer's as a visitor, and it's a nice shop, but it's no Fork's, Memphis, Bentley's, Dale's, Donn Bennett's, etc. If you cook up some additional activities while in KC, I'd say it's worth a visit.

But Nashville has a lot going on, it's a fun and historic city although shamelessly touristy at times. And of course there's Fork's. :)

If you're feeling particularly paripatetic, do both!

Bermuda

SGT Thump, I live in Kansas City and go to Explorer's quite frequently. Their displayed collection of cymbals and snares is not that large (I've seen a better selection in some Guitar Centers) but they do have a fair number of drum kits (mostly low to mid-pirced). Don't be fooled by their catalog, which is excellent, they unfortunately do not have all of those items available at the retail store. Great local drum shop but probably not worth a couple hundred mile drive.

Wow man, thanks for the very open and honest feedback! You're right, I am going by their eBay site and stuff. They have lots of nice things online. They must do mostly web sales.

I appreciate it!

I've been to Explorer's as a visitor, and it's a nice shop, but it's no Fork's, Memphis, Bentley's, Dale's, Donn Bennett's, etc. If you cook up some additional activities while in KC, I'd say it's worth a visit.

But Nashville has a lot going on, it's a fun and historic city although shamelessly touristy at times. And of course there's Fork's. :)

If you're feeling particularly paripatetic, do both!

Bermuda

Thank you too, Bermuda! You guys just helped me make up my mind alot more quickly than I expected. :)

Forks and Nashville it is! :)

I've never been to Explorers.

But Forks was one of the most impressive drum shops I've ever seen, and this is coming from someone who used to work in an impressive drum shop.

Heck, my wife still talks about the time we were there.

Well, being a Kansas City native and having bought a load a gear there and having a bunch of friends who work there... I'm kinda biased. I love Explorers! If any of you ever go to KC, you gotta go there.

WOW!!!

What a girlfriend you have. To give up her weekends visiting 'drum shops' says a lot. I can't get my wife down to the basement to see my studio I built.

That being said, if you are ever in Atlanta, GA, visit Atlanta Pro in Smyrna, GA. Been there for 40+ years...great inventory of good stuff..fairly good cymbal selection too.

I have been to neither but Explorers sends me emails and they seem to have a lot of decent clinics with the pros but I never hear any feed back on this site about them

Definitely Fork's, hands down!

WOW!!!

What a girlfriend you have. To give up her weekends visiting 'drum shops' says a lot. I can't get my wife down to the basement to see my studio I built.

That being said, if you are ever in Atlanta, GA, visit Atlanta Pro in Smyrna, GA. Been there for 40+ years...great inventory of good stuff..fairly good cymbal selection too.

We are now married! :)

We always plan to do a bunch of other things, but to be honest, we do kinda plan the destination around cool drum shops. HA

She's the best, man.

Back