Favorite Non-Drummer Musician??

Near enough all my favourite musicians are non-drummers. I can't say who is - it changes monthly or even daily. Today I was listening to McCoy Tyner and that was great, last week I was listening to Tetuzi Akiyama. Impossible to decide.

I don't like Andy McKee much.

There's so many it hardly seems fair to pick one...or two for that matter. But considering you asked, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards are the two guys that I'd sell my soul to jam with. And if I could jam with them both at the same time, then I wouldn't bother trying to steal it back.

John Martyn

He is a hugely, hugely under rated guitarist in my opinion, and phenominal writer, singer and lovely chap too. If you haven't heard of him or ever listened to any of his work, I urge you to, you won't be dissapointed :) May he rest in peace.

Toss up between Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson. All of them are mad geniuses and Mike's friends with the other two I believe...

Tossup between Miles Davis and John Coltrane...probably Miles.

monkpic1big.jpg

It would be either Justin Hayward singer/songwriter/guitarist or Greg Lake singer/bass player/songwriter.

Last edited:
It varies, even within the same instrument.

A revolving list of favorites would probably include Duke Robillard, Oscar Peterson, BB King, Thelonious Monk, Paul Rodgers, Ed Roland, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Diana Krall, Jimmy Page, Sammy Hagar, Billy Sheehan, Brian Setzer, Gene Harris, Miles Davis, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and if you saw my post on the "most embarassing favorite musician" thread, Neil Diamond, to name a few.

Miles Davis, Joe Satrini, Eric Clapton, and of course Herbie Hancock are my favorites.

Don't think I have a single fave ...
Jimi
Freddie
Miles
Jeff Beck
Jaco
BB
McCartney and Lennon (as a team)
David Gilmour
Ian Anderson
John Cale

... all capable of musical magic.

Many favourite:

Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi
Brian May
Rob Halford
Bon Scott
Ian Gillan
Freddie Mercury
Jon Lord
Steve Harris
Joe Strummer
Geddy Lee
Edward Van Halen
W. Axl Rose

...........................and more to come!

Paul McCartney
Jeff Lynne
Tom Scholtz
Tom Petty
Paul Rodgers
Lindsey Buckingham
Michael W. Smith
Michael Sweet

Back