Backing Track Dilema !!

blondebimbodrummer

OK so when playing live I play to backing tracks which are usually the length of an entire song (3 - 4 minutes), containing synths and extra parts etc..

I have made myself a little backing track device which comprises of an ipod with a splitter plugged into it. One side has a click track on, goes into a mixer next to the ipod and then into headphones. The other side does not have the click track and goes straight out to the PA system.

Now this is all very well and good but when you are in the middle of a show and sweating, flicking through different songs on a little ipod screen is slow and annoying, and can sometimes cause long pauses between songs.

I am wondering how other people have overcame the same problem, because I certainly cant see that this is how pro's do it. I have been researching the Roland spd-s and this seems to be about the only tool I can find that it suitable for the job, having nice large pads to trigger the backing tracks.. Though I calculate that it can only hold about 12 full songs at once? The other question I can not find the answer to is that is it actually capable of doing this, as i know the new Yamaha DTXM12 would be perfect for the job but it only allows you to load 4 MB samples...

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Back