Dealing with hot and clammy hands while playing

DominicB

This is something we all face every time we sit down to drum. When we are really into a song and notice it's quite hot. I'm okay to start off with but after playing for a good 15+ minutes my hands get really warm and are clammy. How do other drummers deal with this? I always have water and a small towel beside my throne so i'm prepared. I really get into songs when I play so I build up quite a sweat. What do you guys do to combat this problem?

Towel.

I wipe my hands, head and face whenever I get the chance.

EDIT: Of course....a fan. How could I forget that.

Last edited:
Have a fan.

Also, avoid eating greasy foods before a gig. The grease can come out in your sweat and make things more slippery. At least for me.

I also take wire cutters or plant clippers and put little nicks in my sticks, which creates a gripping surface.

pine tar / stick wax / tennis tape.

your choice.

F

I've never really had that problem until this summer. I played two different shows outside in the extremely muggy Nebraska heat. Another thing that contributed to the issue was that we had par cans lighting us up rather than the LED lights that we usually use. I brought extra t-shirts to change into after each set as an attempt to stay dry. Needless to say, i had minimal success. I always have my fan with me which helps quite a bit. The one thing I wished I had with me was a towel.
I'm a big guy who is prone to sweating, and playing in 95 degree heat with par cans doesn't help. During the winter while playing indoors under LED light, I'm just fine and never have the clammy hands issue. My wife always tells me that my hands are too dry, though. This sort of issue probably varies from person to person I'm guessing.

tennis over grip tape is great. There are many kinds though. Lasts a long time. (Don't get grip tape - it is usually to thick. Over grip tape goes over the grip tape and is meant to be disposable saving the original grip)

I have a friend who has this problem. He carries a bag of pitchers resin (yeah the stuff for baseball) and pats his hands on it between tunes. I've tried it myself and it works great. Doesn't muck up the sticks and keeps the handies nice and dry for at leas a couple tunes.

forgot to mention gymnasts chalk.....very cheap at sporting goods store.

V

Back