Head recommendations for Yamaha Oak Customs

jstorey4

It's about time for a change of heads on my Oak Custom giging kit - 10,12, 14, 16, 22. I've always used Coated Ambassadors. Initially, I was keeping them tuned higher and getting a Neil Peart (test 4 echo-era) type sound. I've been recently been graviting to lower tunings and I'm finding I am using more and more Moongel at my shows. I'm wondering if Emperors or EC2's might be a better choice. Any advice specific to the Oak Customs would be appreciated - especially the heads' affect on close mic'ing in clubs / bars.

I still have the Yamaha stock clear resos that came on the kit new about 2 years ago. I heard these are just private-labeled clear Ambasadors, but could be wrong.

I'm in a cover band - mostly modern rock, dance tunes. I'm not a particularly hard hitter and the Ambassadors hold up fine for me.

I tried the search function, but just wasn't finding exactly what I was looking for.

Been playing Oaks for a couple of years now. Have tried coated G1, clear G2 and clear EC2 and have settled on the clear G2. My band plays alot of 80s rock and some more modern rock/pop stuff and the clear G2s cut well enough with or without mics and have a good overall sound for that genre of music.

I still have the Yamaha stock clear resos that came on the kit new about 2 years ago. I heard these are just private-labeled clear Ambasadors, but could be wrong.

Change those ASAP. It will make a world of difference.

Back