DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Calculating fuel costs (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140849)

bearblastbeats 03-08-2018 06:33 PM

Calculating fuel costs
 
I am trying to figure out if I move closer to work, which brings me closer to band practices, if it will pan out for me.

I currently live about 35 miles from my office, which on average takes me about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

I also have two bands which one practices right next to my work and the other practices in Boston (about 63 miles from home).

Most days when I practice I have to drive from work back to home then back to either of these practices, unless I can get my neighbor to watch my dog, but even then I will have to make that commute at night sometimes past midnight.


I understand that having more time in the morning and evening will make my life less hectic without the amount of time on the road, but moving away from a place I've grown up in for 20 years is a little tough for me for some reason.

Also, the main kicker is that, all of the apartments I am looking at in Salem NH are north of $1500 a month, I currently pay $1250, so I am figuring the little money I save on gas will offset the delta for the more expensive apartments I am finding.


Do you guys think it will be a good idea to move closer to work, have more time with my dog, be closer to practices? or should I stay where I am now, have my neighbor watch my dog when she can, and ride it out?

incrementalg 03-08-2018 06:48 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Is either band bringing in any money? It sounds like money is a factor given what you said about rent.

bearblastbeats 03-08-2018 06:57 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by incrementalg (Post 1550092)
Is either band bringing in any money? It sounds like money is a factor given what you said about rent.

One band pays every gig, about a gig a month, and this is the one which is right next to my office.

The one in Boston is an originals project.

KamaK 03-08-2018 07:32 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearblastbeats (Post 1550091)
Do you guys think it will be a good idea to move closer to work, have more time with my dog, be closer to practices? or should I stay where I am now, have my neighbor watch my dog when she can, and ride it out?

Complete honesty...

1: Lose the dog. Despite being a joy to posses, you really have to be set up logistically in order to have a dog. Otherwise, it's overly burdensome to you and unfair to the animal. If keeping the dog is a deal breaker, you need to get your situation sorted.

2: Anything you do to shorten your commute is a win. Fuel consumption is the tip of the iceberg. Lower insurance, less wear and tear, and reduced exposure to the risk of other Boston drivers are all factors that result in a great deal of cumulative savings and personal well being.

So... Mull over the pet ownership thing. Reduce your commute.

bearblastbeats 03-08-2018 07:35 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamaK (Post 1550098)
Complete honesty...

1: Lose the dog. Despite being a joy to posses, you really have to be set up logistically in order to have a dog. Otherwise, it's overly burdensome to you and unfair to the animal. If keeping the dog is a deal breaker, you need to get your situation sorted.

2: Anything you do to shorten your commute is a win. Fuel consumption is the tip of the iceberg. Lower insurance, less wear and tear, and reduced exposure to the risk of other Boston drivers are all factors that result in a great deal of cumulative savings and personal well being.

So... Mull over the pet ownership thing. Reduce your commute.

I've had my dog his entire life (10 years). I can't do that, sorry.

alparrott 03-08-2018 07:40 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
I see the tradeoff being moving away from your comfort zone to a somewhat higher rent neighborhood, but possibly saving some gas. The economics make clear sense (I concur that you'll be saving enough in gas money to make up the rent). Consider that you're also cutting your commute drastically, which will add to your quality of life in other ways (less stress, more time, etc.) And finally, your old neighborhood is not *that* far away. I would seriously consider doing it if I were you.

For nearly all my adult life, I lived up to an hour away from my work, and for various reasons I liked it; but now my commute is no more than ten minutes to work, fifteen to rehearsal, and it's a wonderful luxury.

incrementalg 03-08-2018 08:34 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Is the office in NH? I'm asking because knowing the NH/MA traffic you might not save as much time as you hope...depending on what direction you're commuting and when.

bearblastbeats 03-08-2018 08:38 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by incrementalg (Post 1550118)
Is the office in NH? I'm asking because knowing the NH/MA traffic you might not save as much time as you hope...depending on what direction you're commuting and when.

office is in MA, I live in NH. I am quite familiar with the commute.

Dr_Watso 03-08-2018 08:55 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Cutting your commute by 30 minutes is the same happiness increase (measured in brain-scans) as a 35,000 dollar raise.

Learnt that on one of those science youtube channels. I think it's good to keep in mind.

bearblastbeats 03-08-2018 09:30 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Watso (Post 1550122)
Cutting your commute by 30 minutes is the same happiness increase (measured in brain-scans) as a 35,000 dollar raise.

Learnt that on one of those science youtube channels. I think it's good to keep in mind.

reminds me of this blog that I follow but don't do much with, lmoa

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/...-of-commuting/

opentune 03-08-2018 09:56 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearblastbeats (Post 1550091)

Do you guys think it will be a good idea to move closer to work, have more time with my dog, be closer to practices? or should I stay where I am now, have my neighbor watch my dog when she can, and ride it out?

Thats a win-win-win. Easy decision. And no need to apologize to anybody for the integrity in keeping your dog. He/she is not a thing, but part of your life.

bearblastbeats 03-09-2018 05:37 AM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by opentune (Post 1550134)
Thats a win-win-win. Easy decision. And no need to apologize to anybody for the integrity in keeping your dog. He/she is not a thing, but part of your life.

Thank you, my brother.

JustJames 03-09-2018 06:47 AM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearblastbeats (Post 1550091)
...or should I stay where I am now, have my neighbor watch my dog when she can, and ride it out?

If your furry wingman is doing a good job and the neighbour is cute, you should stay where you are.

Odd-Arne Oseberg 03-09-2018 10:37 AM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Not just gas money, but wear on your vehicle, which though we often don't consider usually means gas money x2.

Living closer to work, close to public transporataion opportunities if that bring you closer to the environment you like is huge. Not to mention that you're probably closer to an environment that inspires you.

Yeah. Leaving a pet you've had for 10 years is like loosing a child.

bearblastbeats 03-09-2018 05:31 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJames (Post 1550190)
If your furry wingman is doing a good job and the neighbour is cute, you should stay where you are.

hahaha, we actually dated for a few weeks but I put it back to a friends deal for now.. ;)

bearblastbeats 03-09-2018 05:33 PM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg (Post 1550200)
Not just gas money, but wear on your vehicle, which though we often don't consider usually means gas money x2.

Living closer to work, close to public transporataion opportunities if that bring you closer to the environment you like is huge. Not to mention that you're probably closer to an environment that inspires you.

Yeah. Leaving a pet you've had for 10 years is like loosing a child.

Yea totally. If I am closer to work and also where I am playing the most with my bands, it's less of a burden to me and especially when the nice weather here is back and we are booked more frequently. It's less of a pain when I only 20 minutes away instead of an hour, each way.

Bonzodownunder 03-10-2018 02:36 AM

Re: Calculating fuel costs
 
Does where you rehearse have "lockers"?,
Where you can safely &securely leave your kit there?. If so &you can afford it I'd strongly advise to do so as this would both minimize stress&time.Also if you can afford another cheaper kit to leave at rehearsal place?.I used to have 3 kits ,
1x practice kit at home,
2x rehearsal kit,
3x live/touring kit.
Both the practice & rehearsal kits were as cheap as possible&I was able to leave the rehearsal kit safely&securely at rehearsal studio.It was 40-45 mins travelling time from my home to rehearsal,
If I left from work I not only halved the travel time but also saved $ in gas not too mention no stress
As my rehearsal kit was there&if for whatever reason I was running late,
I'd call ahead&my bandmates would bring/drag my kit out&set it up for me.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com