Recording Help?

GastricPigeon

Hey so I just got my mics and mixer all set up! I just kinda noticed that the kit isn't quite sounding right to me.

The toms just sound like crap to me.
The snare just sounds kinda off, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
And the bass drum doesn't have enough attack to it. It decays so slowly and it keeps ringing almost like a tom. I've tried tightening the resonant head, but it's still bad (although it sounds fantastic with a naked ear).

So can you guys give me some tips for sound-checking? I'd love to get them sounding better. Here's what they sound like now: http://youtu.be/9s6K8D9VC-U (It's all just playing around on the snare until about 0:50 and later (at like 3:00 I think) I start playing to a song.) I know I'm not that good. Don't beak!

Also, sometimes I get that crackly distortion in it. Could you tell me how to get rid of that? If it's relevant, I'm using Audix Fusion Series mics with a Zoom R24 on GarageBand (I have reverb turned to 18% and a condenser turned on, but no other effects).

Thanks!! :)

If you can, shoot some pictures of your microphone set-up. Crackling on peaks is usually an overload condition with digital devices.

Dennis

If you can, shoot some pictures of your microphone set-up. Crackling on peaks is usually an overload condition with digital devices.

Dennis

Gain is too high (causing popping and cracking).

Concur, need to see mics. Need some people to look at both the height of the mic from the head as well as the angle of the mic - these determine body and attack.

I think your snare sounds a little choked. Check your reso head and snares. One is killing the other.

I thought your bass drum actually sounds pretty decent on there. Keep moving the mic around on the kick until you find the sound you want. There's a whole lot of area to play with here, so it will definately take you some time. Personally, I use a Kelly Shu and don't worry about it too much.

Alright I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. I set the gain to go just below where it peaks on a hard hit. And my setup is Audix Fusion series mics to a Zoom R24 mixer (the rack toms share one microphone). I don't have any overheads set up yet cause I don't have any stands

2011-07-26150126.jpg

2011-07-26150119.jpg

2011-07-26150111.jpg

I couldn't get a good picture of my bass drum mic cause my drums are packed into that room pretty tight. It's just a little bit inside of the hole mounted on a rim mount to the bass drum

2011-07-26150126.jpg

2011-07-26150119.jpg

2011-07-26150111.jpg

I couldn't get a good picture of my bass drum mic cause my drums are packed into that room pretty tight. It's just a little bit inside of the hole mounted on a rim mount to the bass drum

Try the mics around 3" from the head and point them a little bit off center. You're using one mic for the bass drum mounted toms, right? If so, try pointing the mic where the hoops are closest together.

Keep messing with them though. My mics and drums all have different sweet spots in terms of height and angle.

To me I think the toms and snare sound pretty good for being untouched.. But the kick sounds bad. Where is the mic positioned on the kick and do you keep the beater against the head when not playing? Sounds like the beater is choking the kick and changing the pitch a little.

I think what you're seeing here is that no two people will ever agree on what sounds good, but generally agree on what sounds bad or off.

True! lol I noticed you're in Pratville, I lived in Montgomery for many years and we may know some of the same people..lol

Back