Ludwig Speed Kings/ Masters

Mr.L

I'm looking to possibly upgrade my Bass Pedal. I'm gonna stick with a single, and heard some good things about those ludwigs.(That and I'm partially biased to them) So what are your guys'es opinions on them?

I posted this on another thread. Seems appropriate to repost it here:

The Speed King was an excellent pedal for its time. It was the pedal I learnt to play on, along with many others I'm sure. It was the "go to" pedal for a long, long time and was used by so many great players that its place in history is secure.

However, much like the famous Model T Ford, Sony Walkman or a humble vinyl record, it has been surpassed. There are better options available today. Play it for nostalgia or simply because you like it, for sure. But not because it's the best option out there. With what's available in today's pedal offerings, you can do better.

John Bonham and Buddy Rich driving model T's. Outta the way sonny!

It ain't the bat son. It's the fella swingin' it.

I've been lovin' my Speedking since 1967. Adorned for the past year with Harry Conway's custom pedal mounting plate for additional platform stability. Thanks again Harry for being the outstanding guy you are.

I know some folks have gone through more pedals than I have beaters in that time. Whatever.

Now better than ever. The new improved design with an Intel 5 pentium processor is also anti bacterial, has a touch screen, is mint flavored, has dual patented "quik action" springs made of unobtanium and multiple 10,000 x 100,000 pixel video cameras built in to assist with blind spots when backing up. Did I mention that it real shiney too!

I've been lovin' my Speedking since 1967. Adorned for the past year with Harry Conway's custom pedal mounting plate for additional platform stability. Thanks again Harry for being the outstanding guy you are.

I know some folks have gone through more pedals than I have beaters in that time. Whatever.

Now better than ever. The new improved design with an Intel 5 pentium processor is also anti bacterial, has a touch screen, is mint flavored, has dual patented "quik action" springs made of unobtanium and multiple 10,000 x 100,000 pixel video cameras built in to assist with blind spots when backing up. Did I mention that it real shiney too!

like.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I liked the Speed King but hated having to take it off to adjust the spring tension.

Did someone mention my name ... and "was is this Speedy King?"

Attachments

• 135-3599_IMG.JPG
    135-3599_IMG.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 601
  • 135-3598_IMG.JPG
    135-3598_IMG.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 569

Yes, but where's the griddle? Rumors are it's supposed to ship with a griddle.

Getting back to the point. It's definitely a nice pedal to have for nostalgia purposes; however you'll realize within using it for a month or so that you'll want some thing better. I still have my Speed King though.

I had the opportunity to play with one recently. I played with it for thirty minutes or so, then chucked it over the hill and went back to my Iron Cobra. I was not impressed with it at all. I thought it was kinda loose, slow and floppy.

HA! You forgot wireless and built-in GPS.

Yes, it's mostly the player, not the bat. But there are hundreds of brands of bats and some people feel very strongly about them. Some haven't changed in 100 years, others are advanced (ever check out golf club technology?) So it is with pedals.

You forgot about it being missile-proof, and having a built in coffee maker.

Anyway, looking to upgrade from a stock pedal that came with a Yamaha Stage Custom. Opinions?

Last edited:
You forgot about it being missile-proof, and having a built in coffee maker.

Anyway, looking to upgrade from a stock pedal that came with a Yamaha Stage Custom. Opinions?

Iron Cobra, Pearl Eliminator, DW 5000. Just to name a few

Back